J2 from the small blind - stack 18 BB

• Giova86
      Dear community,

yesterday I played another live tourney, and I finished 7th, taking advantage of the "bubble boy deal" I had my €30 buy-in back. :)

However, the hand before the one I have been eliminated has been decisive, and I think I played it badly, but I don't know the optimal play in this case.

Everyone folds.

I hold J2 on the small blind, and 18 big blinds. Because I know the chip-leader on the big blind will raise if I just call, I decided to raise to 2.3 big blinds to steal the pot.

the chip-leader calls

Flop: K J 5

I bet 4 big blinds

the chip-leader calls

Turn: 6

I bet 6 big blinds

the chip-leader calls

River: blank

Check/check, the chip-leader shows J8 and wins the pot.

I regret I have been so aggressive with the CL, also cos he is a good player.

But what is the best play in this case?

What is the best play from the SB in general? I find it very hard and risky? Do you have a guideline?

Thanks guys :)

your opinion is really appreciated
  • 8 replies
    • furculision
      Fold preflop.

You still have 18BB,no need to panic.
    • TiciBoy
      just fold pre
    • MatejM47
      Fold. Its impossible to play J2 OOP vs capable opponent.
    • thazar
      You bet >13bb out of your 18bb stack. I'd say:

fold preflop > bet pre shove flop > shove pre

(i think)
    • Andyuk18
      Like everyone said, fold it pre flop. Don't even steal with such a weak hand, especially against a good player.
    • Giova86
      thanks for answering

Ok, I understand folding is better. But wouldn't you call with this hand if you had more than 20BB ?

What is the best play from the SB in general?

Is there a chart to explain it?

I need guidelines
    • dochazard
      J2 is just too weak to even just call with in the SB, against any number of players, and especially against a player in BB who will raise if you limp. No matter what your stack size is, and especially if you have 20BB+. And most likely, not even if you're down to HU at any stage in the tourney.

Only exception is when you need to steal to survive, and you need to shove that, never call.
    • gsergiul
      The small blind is the worst position in poker because no matter what you will always act first. There is no value in completing because with that hand because even if you hit top pair, how are you going to play it? Any other jack beats you. Most people are tempted to complete because it's "at a discount" but like Tommy Angelo said "Why would I take a discount at something I don't want in the first place" (I may have butchered this quote:) ).

EDIT: Also to answer your question for a guideline, just play it like you'd play UTG and you should do fine. Exceptions apply of course if BB is a complete rock.