Advice plz?

• Prabhatallin
      Prabhatallin
      Platinum
      Was without net for a few days so I took the opportunity to study Harrington on Hold'em rather well. I thought it was an absolutely stunning book...I felt like i finally got what was going on..why you should bet certain amounts and when to bet... Is it advisable to play based on his recommendations or should I rigidly follow some of the patterns given in these articles here till I get more experience?

Also is it true that Full Tilt tournament structures for Multi-Table Tournaments and SnG's are more friendly than other sites? The blinds seem to go up much more slowly then at other sites..which helps against the masses of donkeys playing.
  • 12 replies
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      I don't think you should adhere to his exact advice since the opponents he play against are quite different from the ones you/we will wind up against.
    • Prabhatallin
      Prabhatallin
      Platinum
      Actually he is surprisingly aware of online Donkeys...he has large sections on them..he generally advises not to bluff against these guys since they will call anything...he in fact notes that it is much easier to just click buttons then physically shove chips in and that people who have invested nothing are likely to be loose(read manic).

Has anyone who has read the books advise me on this? And also anyone who plays multi-sites tell me abt the structures
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      I think Harrington's books had some amazing, almost revolutionary, advices.

Bet half pot... this is actually very true for online poker. Half pot often does the job. 2/3 will be called almost as often. If we play straightforward valuepoker, and we have a hand most of the times we bet, then 2/3 is a good size imo. However, your FE is relatively highest on 1/2 pot.

And indeed, clicking buttons is easier then liveplay. Harrington is not very active at the table (in the literal meaning of the word "active", so he has some insights on online poker, and should be able to adept to online play with ease.

His sample hands are great. There are some online ones in the book, which is useful for us, and it's also nice to see one from a major tournament, then see if we agree, and then look at the hand again and see what we would've done differently on online poker.

I don't like blinds that move up too slowly, I don't want to be committed to an mtt for 6-7 hours of my day. But for online play 15 minutes is more then enough for major tournaments, and I think every site offers tournaments with 15 minutes, or at least 10 minute blind levels.

I wouldn't use the book as a strategy, I would use it to think about the basic concepts of the game, and maybe work on my own game. I don't know what strategies on this site you're referring to, since I haven't seen a mtt-section on here, but I'd prefer s&g section>Harrington anyday, since the ps.com s&g section is easy to read, short, and fairly easy to play, while Harrington goes deeper into the material, which isnt necessary on lowlimit s&g's imo.
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Full Tilts blinds never double, and the early levels are basically all the same, you're very deep stacked with your starting chips. It's not too bad once the antes start kicking in but the first few hours can drag by quite slowly if it's a 10 or 12 minute blind structure. MTT turbos are 5 minutes as opposed to the sng turbos 3 minutes, which speeds things up nicely imo.
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      stars structure > tilts
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sw0ldo
      stars structure > tilts
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      i certainly couldn't comment. when you compare stars, which doesn't disconnect for me, and fulltilt, where i disconnected 4/7 sitngos... the choice is quite clear
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Would someone be so kind as to give a quick rundown of stars structure? :P

Yes i'm lazy :)
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      15 min levels.

I guess it's somtin like this:

20 30 50 100 150 200 200 -ante - 400 600 800 1000 1200 1600 2000 2400
    • sheripops
      sheripops
      Bronze
      Hello there - In answer to your question about the ease of Full Tilt SnG's... I've been playing on Full Tilt for a few months and I have just moved from the 9 seater $2 to the $5 SnG's (I am unbelievably conservative with my bank roll) and I have found that the standard is vastly different... During the week the standard is so much better and people are very tight...

On another post I was asking about where to play my $5 games and the general consensus was that Stars was friendlier at this level so that's where I'll head after I've cleared my welcome bonus.

However, in Full Tilt's favour... About 3 weeks ago they had a bad week for disconnections which seem to have been resolved... As a a way of apology when I emailed to complain they gave me $127.20 even though all that actually happened to me was I was disconnected from about 3 $2 SnG's!

The end!
    • AaronJello
      AaronJello
      Bronze
      holy! 127$??? ive been disconnected from titan, costing me 4 SNGs in total, even called my isp to make sure it wasnt me, talked to their online support and emailed their cust support team and got a 'its not our fault so we will not refund' lol, yes it was... but w/e guess they need the $5 more than me lol... im just keepin a record of it, if it continues theyll loose me to stars or tilt or another :evil:
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AaronJello
      holy! 127$??? ive been disconnected from titan, costing me 4 SNGs in total, even called my isp to make sure it wasnt me, talked to their online support and emailed their cust support team and got a 'its not our fault so we will not refund' lol, yes it was... but w/e guess they need the $5 more than me lol... im just keepin a record of it, if it continues theyll loose me to stars or tilt or another :evil:

the reason i left titan actually was.. i was playing a rebuy tournament. about 30min after the rebuy period, i got a message saying titanpoker is going down for scheduled maintenance in 1 hr. obviously, i can't stop playing, as i'm deep in this tournament.

maybe 30minutes after the message, i was the chipleader, with something like 2.5x lead over second place. i kept this up right until their maintenance. there were 19 players left at this time, and i had perhaps 1/8 of the total chips in the game.

titanpoker then went down for scheduled maintenance. i still had chips when i came back, but i was crippled, with something like 9BB as opposed to the 90BB i had before. ended up placing 6th for something like 20$, instead of first for 200$. i asked titanpoker for 1/8 of the prizepool as compensation, (roughly the value of my chips pre-disconnect cf ICM, disregarding the fact that my opponents were near braindead) and they refused of course :P . rage-change-platform, anyone?