whats the difference

• strauss1970
      strauss1970
      Bronze
      Hi, this might be a really stupid question but whats the difference betweeen sit and gos and multitable tournaments. In some sit and gos there are more than one table.

I will be going to a hotel in my town to play poker, there are normally about 30-40 people that play. about 4-5 tables with 8 seats on each table. What strategy should i learn.

Thanks mark
  • 4 replies
    • mihainsts
      mihainsts
      Bronze
      you should use the proper strategy to the given situation.If you are short stacked use the SSS, if you have a middle stack use MSS, if you have a big stack use the BSS.Read all the articles in the strategy section try to apply it to your game.
      For the beggining play tight , only premium hands, don't risk any chips unnecesary, untill you have gathered some info on your oponents like hand range, agressivness preflop postflop.
      Theese are general pointers to use.You should definetly read the strategy section.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi strauss,

Actually a really good question as it can often be confusing.

Sit & Go's (Sngs) are tournaments with a set number of players but no set start time. Once the designated number of people have sat down, the tournament starts. The tournaments typically run 24/7 and can as you've indicated come in a variety of formats:

• SH (Short handed or 6max) Single Table - 6 players & typically top 2 cash
      • FR (Full Ring) Single Table - 9 or 10 players & typically top 3 cash
      • DON (Double or nothing) Single Table - 10 players with 5 doubling their buyin
      • MTT (Multiple table) Sng's - Whole variety, but common ones are 18 player, 36, 45, 90 & 180 player starts
      • Steps Sngs - Players play typically a STT (Single table sng) to gain a tournament token for a higher buyin tournament. There are often 6 or 7 steps of a theorectical ladder to gain a big prize at the top.
      • Satellite sngs - Again to gain entry into a higher buyin online or live event

True MTT Tournaments on the other hand, differ from MTT Sng's in that they have a specific start time, when that time is reached the tournament starts irrespective of player numbers.

In terms of your hotel game, this sounds more like a MTT tournament in that you will all meet up at say 8pm and start to play. Some days more people will turn up, some days less.

I would always personally recommend that you read up on the Tournament strategy for any event with more than 1 table playing as primary strategy, but there are similarities between tournament and sng strategy and you would gain tremendously from learning both. Push/fold techniques for example come into play sooner or later in both variants.

Also check out our the great PokerStrategy.com tools, free to members, I can highly recommend the ICM trainer & lite versions. ;)

Hope this helps and if you have any questions don't hesitate to shout, we have many hugely experienced (& better qualified than myself) coaches and community members here who just love sharing experiences, techniques etc ;)

Good luck in your local event, let us know how you get on,

Best regards,

Bart
    • strauss1970
      strauss1970
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice
      From what i can gather in the mtt strategy i use the big stack theory in the early phase, then the sng theory in the middle and late phase. Is this correct.
      I noticed in the sng articles it defines what is early,middle and late phases but in the mtt articles it doesnt define this(are the stages the same in both stategies.)

Thanks again Mark
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi strauss1970,

here are some articles on MTT's which might help you :)

clickety click click

smiles,
      wendy