phpps poker revival

• phpps
      phpps
      Bronze
      I LOVE POKER STRATEGY!!!!

A while back a friend got me hooked on online poker after he moved across the country to take a job and it was our way of keeping in contact on a regular basis (live in canada so across the country is a fair distance away) since I hate the phone and cant afford to fly there.

I played with some success and some ugly downswings. Thought I was OK but then I found poker stategy and I realized how much of a fish I actually was. I have completely revamped my view of poker. I love the SSS strategy solely for the discipline that it has brought to my game. I now switch between the SSS and the BSS on titan and play SnGs on pacific poker which i had an account at before discoverying pokerstrategy.

I feel alot more in control of my game and view my goals and successes in a much different manner. My BR is not my main focus (besides BR management) but rather on improving my game and constantly evaluating my hands played.

For all those that feel that they can immediately jump to BSS are wrong. It is essential to start with SSS because it builds the foundation for proper BSS gameplay. Without you cannot be a successful TAG when playing BSS.

Thank you very much pokerstrategy for showing me the light!!

phpps
  • 25 replies
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Hi phpps,

Welcome at pokerstrategy.com. I hope you will enjoy your stay and become a better player! Keep us informed.

Good luck!
    • phpps
      phpps
      Bronze
      So my roomate constantly downloads too much and then uses up the bandwidth, then the ISP cuts back on our service. Annoys the hell out of me.

So some people go on tilt when they get a bad beat or suckout, some go on tilt when they make a stupid mistake (guilty of that for sure at times, far too critical of myself) but what really sets me on tilt is getting disconnected at unopportune times.

Last night playing for 20 min and not getting any hands, finally getting bullets on the button, two limpers and then a raise from a really loose player. Of course I was thinking I actually had a chance here and since I hadnt gotten a hand for 20 min i was a little exited (trying to keep it in check) and what do you know my connection times out just long enough that my aces get folded.... grit my teeth and move on.

2 min later, raise with JJ in middle position with two loose callers behind. Flop top set with no draws. Of course you should not slowplay a strong hand like this but I could not resist with two really loose agressive calling stations behind me so I check. One raise then a reraise. Thinking Oh i am in the money here!!!! Nope time out again just long enough to fold my hand.

Very very frustrating so knowing full well this about to set me on tilt I shut it down and went out to go for a good long skate.....

Cant wait to live on my own, roomates are driving me nuts.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Haha so familiar.

I've fixed the problem now though. Just do what you have to do during the day (including 2 hours sleep) and play at night.

Or just don't play (like me) during the week, only study, and when you go home in the weekends just play a lot there.
    • phpps
      phpps
      Bronze
      Little poll,

I was reading an article about the different trends in poker players from different nationalities. The article only convered the European poker players, and since I am from Canada I was wondering what people thought about Canadian poker players (me being Canadian) and the trends that they exhibit?

Please remember that Canadians are not Americans....

Whether it is a stereotype, factual or just your general impression, all comments are welcome.
    • martizzo
      martizzo
      Bronze
      Canadians seem to be nice and good poker players :)
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      I love to have Canadians on my table mostly. They usually seem to be playing just for fun and never whine. Most of them aren't really good which makes it better :)
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      lolllll Canadians aren't good? they are veryyyyyyy goodddddddddddd

you play TITAN Poker right? where i don't think they are many Canadians
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      all countries are bad...
    • phpps
      phpps
      Bronze
      Yesterday,

Playing poker on about four to six different tables I notice that this one guy is on several of my tables, not unusual since alot of people play multiple tables. But he kept timing out on all the tables. So i searched him to see how many tables he was playing, 12 tables all together. I was getting a little frustrated since he kept timing out on all the tables (which went on for about an hour atleast till I got too annoyed and changed sites). I also had to laugh, since he clearly could not handle all the tables at once. Not only was he timing out on all the tables but he was playing horrible poker which I can't help but think that he was not able to play all the tables at once.
      I dont understand players like this, why do people continue to play more tables than they can handle? So that they can brag to their friends that they are good enough to play at 12 tables at once? Blows my mind.
    • phpps
      phpps
      Bronze
      How effective can TAG be playing against a table full of fish?

Reading an article on how wise it is to play against a table full of fish or whether this should just be avoided at all cost. I mean if you are always going up against a bunch of calling stations it does greatly increase your chances of getting sucked out. For instance if you flop a set and four gutshot str8 draws call your big raise (all with different outs) your chances are greatly reduced to win the hand.

What do other people do in this instance, do you jump in with a school of fish or turn tail?
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Hi phpps,

I would certainly dive in the fishtank and look for some good spots to take all their money :D

Good luck!
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by phpps
      My BR is not my main focus (besides BR management) but rather on improving my game and constantly evaluating my hands played.
      Hi phpps!

First off I have to applaud you for attitutde towards Poker. Putting focus on improving your game instead of increasing your BR is the best approach to becoming a good poker player. I therefore look forward to seeing your improvements and hope you keep us updated.

@The topic of playing at a Table full of Fish: I would never turn, tail, but jump straight in. Its simply about adjusting your own strategy to their bad play. That means more value betting and less bluffing, and setting up goods spots in which to take their stacks. Suited connectors and other hands that play well in multiway pots increase in playability and hitting a set usually means a stack going your way. Of course the suckouts increase - but so do the situations where you can put your money in with the best hand - and at the end of the day thats what its all about.

So good luck at the tables and best regards!

SoyCD
    • phpps
      phpps
      Bronze
      So it was an interesting weekend as far as my poker went. Played in the titan freerolls for silver and basic. Didnt really do all that well in either, not all that disappointed with my play just the fact that I was really not getting any cards and when i did no one was calling 3BB bets so all i was doing was stealing blinds. Oh well hopefully better luck next time. I didnt do all that well at the BSS NL5 either ending up with a negative again just not getting the cards (did make a few stupid mistakes but overall not that many) but lost a 2BI to KK vs AA and lost a couple BI to AKs, oh well. My one saving grace for the weekend was my SSS winnings. Made up for all my BSS losses and then some I seemed to be getting good cards right left and center with the SSS but nothing with the BSS, interesting how that works out sometimes.

Goona stick to SSS tonight I think, seems to be working out better for me at the moment. Give BSS a break, read up on some articles and watch some vids first before going back.
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Hi phhps,

It's best to play some SSS until you have become familiar with everything. Besides it's the best option to build a bankroll in a decent amount of time/hands.

Good luck!
    • phpps
      phpps
      Bronze
      LOL, that is all i can do right otherwise I am ready to beat some random passer by silly. You know that feeling you get when people do stupid things on the road that automatically invokes road rage? Well if you compare that to my poker last night people were driving on the wrong side of a four lane freeway last night during rush hour.

Right left and center people were making horrible calls and not just one call here and there. For instance, AA raise 4BB utg then four allins behind me and since i am playing SSS, easy allin. What shows? QQ, ok understandable, 44 little fishy, and then the kicker is the J3s, who wins? well the J3s naturally with a flush.

JJ, raise 4BB in CO, BU calls, flop a set, allin, BU calls with nothing but a Q3 with a runner-runner str8 draw, and yes of course he hits his two runners.
      (That actually happened three times, flop a set and someone calls an allin with absolutely nothin only to hit a runner-runner str8 draw.)

One point had QQ in middle position, first raise to 4BB and of course three allins behind me, one being a tight player, so i fold. Who wins, the 64s of course with a str8. Made me a little happy to know that I folded the hand.

I know this was just a long string of bad luck but still frustrating as hell.

One highlight of the night, got KK with two limpers, raise 6BB, no callers. Guy comments in the text box accusing me of just steallling blinds, dont answer, after the hand finishes he says "that is what i thought", couple of hands down the line KK again, raise 4BB he raise me all in, call, shows a 10 3o, made me laugh a little.
    • phpps
      phpps
      Bronze
      somehting unrelated to poker,

i got asked for my security clearance for a permanent position with the government, so releived,

little background, i work in the biology field specifically entomology which is not bountiful with jobs, and 95% of those is governement research. For the last three years i have been going from contract to contract with no stability, atleast i get to do what i enjoy, now i will have a permanent position and i can move ahead in life,

things left on the list,
      buy a house,
      go on vacation,
      buy engagement ring for girlfriend,

all to be financed with poker,
      afterall it is only still a gov't position, it doesnt mean i have money only i can pay rent and eat something other than potatoes.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hi phpps,

Thats great news. I know from past experience how it is when life is filled with uncertainties and the kind of relief that comes from finally finding something more stable about that positive. Ironically it also helped my poker play in a lot of ways :)

The going on vacation part of my list has sadly not been check-marked for quite a long time though :o

Best of luck in your future job!
      SoyCD
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Hi phpps,

Congratulations on the job ;) But be sure that your girlfriend doesn't read your blog or she won't be surprised anymore when you ask her to marry you :)

Good luck!
    • phpps
      phpps
      Bronze
      LOL, Dont worry my girlfriend puts as much distance between my poker and herself as possible.