Micro Stakes are full of donks

• bancroft17
      bancroft17
      Bronze
      Hi, i have recently started playing poker fulltime and consider myslef a fairly good player making some good money over the years on PS. Starting with a small bankroll i have found my options limited due to bankroll management. Frustratingly i have to play the 0.05c/0.10c levels. I am finding no matter how good i play people just dont fold and end up sucking out left right and centre. I am struggling to make a profit at this level, in fact going bust twice in 2 weeks, so i have decided to give up, save up and come back at a level i have made good money from before $1/$2 and $2/$4.

Am i being stupid or doing something wrong in not being able to crack this low level of poker when i have made plenty of money and been sucessful at higher levels?

Any thoughts on these micro stakes will be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks :)
  • 8 replies
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Hey,

What brm are you actually following? As in, how many buy ins are you allowing yourself, for what stake? and SH or FR?

Do you use anything like holdem manager, poker tracker etc? You could get some stats from there, and see if you have any big leaks which could easily be spotted and fixed. Also, hands which you seem to lose lots of money on, post them in the forum here http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1387 You can then get some feedback on them by professional hand judges, and see if maybe it's your play which is losing you money.

I also found (still do) find it hard, just because of how bad some of the players are. In all honesty the micros are more just a-c-b poker. If you start trying too much fancy stuff = problems. Because they will call you down with crap, suck out, whatever.

Once you give answers to my questions i'm sure you can get more help too :)

edit: i should learn to proof read before I type... 6 edits :)
    • bancroft17
      bancroft17
      Bronze
      I have been allowing myself 20 to 40 buy ins. I have been playing NL10 and SH. I do think there must be leaks in my game somewhere but to me i believe i have been playing pretty solid ABC poker. I do not have Holdem Manager or any other software at this point in time but i will be purchasing some software in the not so distant future once i get going again, what would you recommend as the best software?

The one flaw i think that has come to the forefront in the last couple of weeks has been that i have been loosing my temper when suffering a bad beat and goin on tilt a bit, although this usually does not last too long it has been affecting me slightly. Any tips to avioid or deal with tilt?

I will post some hands shortly, I am still new to all this forum stuff so will take me a while to do so ;)

Also i apologise for my spelling mistakes and will endevour to proof read from now on :)
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bancroft17
      Also i apologise for my spelling mistakes and will endevour to proof read from now on :)
      Will edit this later with more content, but just you know now, I meant myself proof reading, not you! :D Just didn't want you to think I was being rude :)
    • bancroft17
      bancroft17
      Bronze
      Lol oh ok no worries :D
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      thanks for the helpful posts Jim4rdo :) it really makes me sooo happy when people do this :f_love:

hi bancroft17,

it can be really hard to deal with all these badbeats. i suggest taking time to read some articles or books which can help with mindset. For starters, you should check out the articles here on psychology especially the ones about downswings and tilt which you can find here:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/psychology/

A few books that have really helped me include "Poker Mindset" and "Elements of Poker". Also "The Mental Game of Poker" book's writer Jared Tendler has a thread here where he helps by answering your mindset questions. Be sure to check it out! :)

also, make sure that you made the correct decision by reviewing your play and getting our professional hand judges to take a look at your hands here in our hand evaluation forum. i think this is important so that you will know if you are well adjusted to playing in that limit, since there can be differences in the best way to play a hand depending what stakes it is :) .

smiles,
      wendy
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Microstakes full of donks? No shit, Sherlock
    • RubyWesson
      RubyWesson
      Bronze
      Tight is right!
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bancroft17
      but i will be purchasing some software in the not so distant future once i get going again, what would you recommend as the best software?

I will post some hands shortly, I am still new to all this forum stuff so will take me a while to do so ;)
      I would recommend holdem manager or poker tracker 3. I used HEM and it's great, but PT works just as well :)

Good stuff, just post in link I sent you :)

As for the tilt issue, the links wendy posted are great for it!

And lastly, I don't want to sound like I'm trying to lower your confidence or anything, but maybe try dropping to nl5 or even nl2 just for a week or so, while you get used to new software if you buy it, and to get some feedback on hands when you post them. That way you can lose the least amount of money while perfecting your play then jump back up if you have the bank roll for it :) But ofc if you don't want to do that, don't! :D