FLOP ($0.65) Q:heart: 6:club: 3:diamond:

BB bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

TURN ($1.45) Q:heart: 6:club: 3:diamond: 7:heart:

BB checks, Hero checks

RIVER ($1.45) Q:heart: 6:club: 3:diamond: 7:heart: 7:diamond:

BB checks, Hero bets $1, BB folds

Hero shows Q:diamond: K:spade:

Hero wins $1.38

I raise button standard and flop top pair. I feel like guys donk like this with draws, or PP like 55 77 88 99 TT and maybe even if he flats JJ vs my button raise. He might also do this with sets and other queens. Since the board is quite dry I decide to flat which i believe is the standard play for this spot?

The turn comes a 7 which improves his range slightly like he can now beat me with 77 and also if he has 45s, but now he checks to me. I feel like this is unusual so decide to check behind still to give him the chance to bet worse hands on the river. Maybe I'm missing value from worse queens by doing this? Also I'm not sure he folds 88-JJ here either, but I'm only getting one street of value from those hands anyway, and I'd rather give him the chance to lead the river with complete bluff/Ax hands. By betting here I will often get a free showdown too when he just calls.

River pairs the 7 and he checks to me and I'm certain I have the best hand and make a bet that I hope will get called by any PP 88-JJ, worse queens, curious 55s/AT/AJ kind of hands.

Not sure this is the standard, optimal line, but I am looking for some opinion on my thoughts throughout the hand.
  • 2 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Meemawuk,

As he does Check the turn you can easily as well just bet it yourself. Might still even protect from any kind of overcard/draw. Plus with the bet on turn we as well secure us a free showdown.

Best regards.
    • Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      there is only 1 overcard since I also have the K. I always find it strange when people donk me so I'm not always certain what to do. Some people donk monsters, some people donk draws, and some people donk middley pairs and I find it difficult even with stats to work out which they do. I just make a note on everyone who donks me and how the hand plays out.