Stack
      UTG1:
      $2.15
      Hero:
      $2
      MP3:
      $2

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with A:spade: , K:heart:
      UTG1 calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, 2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.30, 5 folds, Hero calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.65) T:diamond: , 9:diamond: , 8:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.34, Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.65

hi again. i get lost in these sorts of situations always with either AK or QQ. i raise pf and get reraised. then what happens is i miss the flop and dont know what to do and donk bet seems like a very stupid thing to do so i check and have to fold. i take it this is the right thing to do?
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello DrDunne,

Against that kind of PFR and him doing the 3bet vs UTG range rather fold it preflop. We can't play such a hand profitable in long run and as well we will never know where we stand with our hand. And at the best anyways get a coinflip and very likely even if we hit our K or A we wont get paid that much.

Best regards.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      okay thanks. my problem then is accepting that all players at 2NL understand most UTG ranges... do we just assume that they do? i can understand in this case because of the size of his raise being exactly what we are taught here... but what if the person makes a random sized raise which i often see happening because they don't understand how to size their bets properly... do we assume that even these players have an understanding of UTG ranges or even ranges at all? surely such players would be happy to call all-ins with AQo or JTs and small pocket pairs etc in which case it could be profitable to at least see a flop with them when holding hands like AK and QQ...
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      do we just assume that they do?

Nah, not always. But as well we can assume that they range as well often times is strong. They don't do randomly the 3bets that big with pure air hands.

do we assume that even these players have an understanding of UTG ranges or even ranges at all?

Not really but that doesn't mean that we as well want to go broke with our AKo type of hand.

surely such players would be happy to call all-ins with AQo or JTs and small pocket pairs etc in which case it could be profitable to at least see a flop with them when holding hands like AK and QQ...

Nope, haven't seen a lot of players unless they are really maniac-style players. People nowadays even don't 3bet that often with AQo unless they are more aggressive side.