[NL2-NL10] NL10 Slowplay QQ

• Stevos1938
      Stevos1938
      Bronze
      Villain stats: 37/34/4/6.2 over 150 hands ( VPIP/PFR/3bet/Aggro factor)

So villain is a very loose aggresive, maniacish player. I decided to flat the QQ preflop because he has a fold to 3bet percentage of 40% and is very agressive on all streets so i can give him the oppurtunity to bluff away his stack. Pretty good flop and i check because he can cbet, which he doesn't, has a cbet percentage of 52%. On the turn i check call because i put him on a bluff ( turn aggro factor 50%) same reasoning for the river ( river aggro factor 44 %).

Played it well ?

Stacks:
      UTG TristenZ ($9.70)
      CO stenli7 ($23.54)
      BTN panaitktp ($13.01)
      SB lonccuu ($9.90)
      BB Steven1938 ($10.15)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 5 players) Steven1938 is BB Q:spade: Q:diamond:
      1 fold, stenli7 raises to $0.30, 2 folds, Steven1938 calls $0.20

Flop: 9:heart: A:diamond: A:club: ($0.65, 2 players)
      Steven1938 checks, stenli7 checks

Turn: 4:spade: ($0.65, 2 players)
      Steven1938 checks, stenli7 bets $0.48, Steven1938 calls $0.48

River: 2:spade: ($1.61, 2 players)
      Steven1938 checks, stenli7 bets $1.60, Steven1938 calls $1.60
  • 6 replies
    • Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      I dont like how you have played this hand. Even if he folds to 3-bet 40% of the time, he's still calling with 60% of his opening range which you are crushing. This should always be a standard 3-bet for value against this kind of player.

As played

Flop: When he checks the flop behind, I'm inclined to think he has a monster hand here like 99/Ax, but he might also do this with other pocket pairs.

Turn: I prefer a bet-fold line instead. He will have to raise with 99/Ax for value if he wants to get stacks in at any time. Plus you can easily be repping an Ax hand here so you can be sure if he raises, you're behind. He can be easily betting both worse and better hands. When you check twice your hand looks so weak and you dont define his hand at all. If he just flats when you lead the turn, I'd also make a thin value bet on the river, again folding to any raise. Something like 1/3 pot.

As Played

River: I think you have to fold here almost all of the time. His pot bet looks like he is trying to make as much as he can with a big hand since he missed a street of value by checking the flop. I'd Always be folding here after check calling the turn.

I am not an official coach though but I look forward to seeing what they say.
    • Stevos1938
      Stevos1938
      Bronze
      Yeah, i could've 3 betted him but on a flop like that i still would've taken the check/call line on every street. Just because he's a bluffy maniacish player that likes to bluff people of their hand or he might be "valuebetting" a 9, 4 or 2.

As played i don't really see bet/folding the turn as an option. By betting the turn i take away the opportunity to bluff and he will fold out all worse hands and call/raise with Ax, a fullhouse. The only hands i'm ahead of is 9x and 4x. And indeed, be checking i look very weak and that's exactly what i want. I want him to think, oh he's weak, lets put some chips in the middle, he'l probably fold. And thats also what i thought on the river. Making a big bet to scare me from calling.

Always interesting to talk and think about poker. Also looking forward to what the coach has to say.
    • swanny36
      swanny36
      Bronze
      Interesting reading. I think I tend to agree more with Meemawuk. The check behind on the flop from such a player polarises his range and when he bets pot on river it seems to indicate a monster. Probably folding in this spot. What did he have? Just out of interest.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Stevos1938,

Preflop: Against that kind of PFR we can easily do the 3bet for value even.

As played
      Flop: As already mentioned, usually it's very likely a trap if he even has a high CBet value. So I would watch out.
      Turn: I'd still actually donk it here while it might be the case as well that he has just overcards or something similar. With Check/Call you just wont find out where you stand.

As played
      River: Very likely are beat by a trap, so therefore rather Check/Fold.

Best regards.
    • Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      I discussed this hand with a friend and he suggested check-calling the turn then donking the river for value, obviously folding to a raise. He will find it difficult to fold pocket pairs since the line is so strange, and will still raise with his Ax or better hands. I think this depends entirely on the players WTSD though. Is this a viable option for guys who are showing down a lot?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      If he is going to showdowns a lot then basically just bet it for value right on turn. :) Although keep in mind that such a play can easily be a trap if they are usually CBetting a lot and in this case they didn't.