This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

questions

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      this may be a stupid question but it's something im not tooo clear about...

what hands can i call a raise with and/or reraise with preflop?

if there is a raise before me, what hands can i reraise with? (besides the obvious AA & KK)
      if there is a raise before me and 1 caller, what hands should i call or reraise with?
      if there is a raise before me and more than 1 caller what hands should i reraise with?

above i know i asked what hands i should call with... i know i can call20 with any mid-low pocket pair... but i take it these are the only hands i should be calling with - everything else i should raise or fold... unless in late position with suited connectors and there has been at least 1 limper...

i'm asking this because i find myself unsure when faced with a raise before me and i hold hands like QQ, AK, AQ, AJ, KQ etc. also because the SHC only explains what to do if one person raises and not if people call the raise etc.
  • 1 reply
    • sapheal
      sapheal
      Global
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      this may be a stupid question but it's something im not tooo clear about...

what hands can i call a raise with and/or reraise with preflop?

if there is a raise before me, what hands can i reraise with? (besides the obvious AA & KK)
      if there is a raise before me and 1 caller, what hands should i call or reraise with?
      if there is a raise before me and more than 1 caller what hands should i reraise with?

DrDunne,

It's unfortunately very difficult to answer such a general question. Basically, you can call a raise (PFR) with lots of speculative hands and broadways, and pocket pairs, depending on position, villain's ability to play OOP, villain's range etc. You can call a 3bet with medium pocket pairs (not only for set value), certain broadways (some say its AQ+, but it stronly depends on players). You can potentially call a 3bet with suited connectors if your opponent is passive postflop etc.

All these things are stronly connected with the opponent.

Last thing- you should always make an attempt at playing the best possible line, therefore against certain opponents it's better to 4bet/call TT, against others its best to 4bet bluff, esp when your perceived range is weak etc.

Takes a lot of training to master all these things.

Cheers,
      Michal