[NL20-NL50] NL 20 SH 87s

• Beseventh
      Beseventh
      Bronze
      Against that kind of player, is it good idea to call SC? Or better will be Broadway cards?
      He so often cbet in 3bet pot, but on turn he plays so truely.
      Bet on river for value? If on river will be blank what then?

Stacks:
      UTG (€4)
      CO (€12.41)
      Hero (BTN) (€20)
      SB (€22.17)
      BB (€24.25)

Pre-Flop: (€0.30, 5 players) Hero is BTN 8:heart: 7:heart:
      2 folds, Hero raises to €0.50, 1 fold, BB raises to €1.80, Hero calls €1.30

Flop: 10:spade: 5:heart: 5:spade: (€3.70, 2 players)
      BB bets €1.85, Hero calls €1.85

Turn: 10:heart: (€7.40, 2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets €4, BB calls €4

River: 8:club: (€15.40, 2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Final Pot: €15.40
      BB shows two pairs Tens and FivesJ:heart: A:heart: Hero shows two pairs Tens and Eights8:heart: 7:heart:
  • 2 replies
    • matovicmilos
      matovicmilos
      Bronze
      Well played imo its ok to call SC not all the time ofc but to mix it up, and i would fire river again like 1/3 - 1/2 pot on a blank to get him off his a high hands it looks like a thin value bet and he can definetly put u on a value range there like 77-jj and most probably fold a high, or call with a pair but u bet small so not much lost + u get a read on him :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Beseventh,

Preflop: The problem with small SCs is that you can't really hit much. Even if you hit your TP you will never know where you stand with your hand. That's why with broadways it's better to Call while you can hit some TP type of hand with your blockers. And against those kind of guys as this one who has not that huge of 3bet I am not a big fan of Calling. Lets say he has something like 10% of 3bet:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    33.32%  33.04%   0.28% { 8h7h }
      UTG+1  66.68%  66.39%   0.28% { 88+, ATs+, KTs+, QJs, AJo+, KQo }

So we ain't doing that great with 87s. But lets take a look for example with QJs:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.23%  36.66%   4.57% { KhQh }
      UTG+1  58.77%  54.19%   4.57% { 88+, ATs+, KTs+, QJs, AJo+, KQo }

As we see our equity is likely better.
      And of course why I would Call preflop is that I can consider the opponent very often giving it up on turn and not capable of even 2nd barreling with air. But in this case it's the problem that he does CBet a lot on flop and as well even has huge amount of CBet on turn. That's the main reason why I would as well consider folding it. Plus his WTSD is very high amount so I expect him to very often go to showdown even with crap and we can't get him to lay down the hands. As was even the case right here.

Postflop: Bet the river as well smallish to get called by some A high type of hand.

Best regards.