How do you feel when...

• kidzoltan
      kidzoltan
      Platinum
      I'm wondering if this happens to others also, but it's the third time I reach the final table on a Pokerstars tourney and I f***ed it up. Not because of bad luck, because of viery bad play. I made my decisions in hurry I guess, but in real life I never do this. I think before act, but somehow I do not manage to do the same way at the final table of the tournaments. I feel a bit bad about this. Please share your experiences! thanks, kidzoltan :f_cry:
  • 12 replies
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      You unconsciously want to give away your chips.
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      there is a break before the final table.anytime you reach one,go outside or in another room and try to relax.

something that works for me good is i never think about the money or making 1st,2nd or w/e you want.just go and take your time when making decisions.you have approx. 15 seconds per decision,no one is pointing a gun at your head,dont rush into things.avoid prize fever.

hope this helps,good luck in the next one.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      I play very rarely live and I have found the same problem of making bad decisions towards the end. It's like I am getting impatient and want to rush things. i guess we just need to work on those things and try to tackle them as and when they happen.
    • kidzoltan
      kidzoltan
      Platinum
      by the way last night i made another final table and I managed to concentrate and not give away my chips. And in the end when we were 4 players I was on the 2nd and we made a deal. I'm happy with this one :D
      Btw be awere that the 11$NL deep stack tourney on pokerstars can go for 14 hours...
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      Grats on your win dude! :)
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      nice one man!!!
    • TakeManies
      TakeManies
      Bronze
      Nice one!

I tend to start trying to knock everyone out when I make the final table, sometimes works and often doesn't but I can't stop myself from doing it even though I've tried.
    • kidzoltan
      kidzoltan
      Platinum
      I will deffinetely work on this, I saw a lot off coaching videos reviewing final tables. It feels bad when you play 6-7 hours, reach the final table, then screw it up in a couple of hands..
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      this problem solves itself with experience.

play more final tables.
    • 01laitken10
      01laitken10
      Bronze
      congrats on your win :)

exact same thing happened to me tonight, final table on party poker with 2 players already gone so theres 8 left and im 2nd in chips and pick up a q suited on the button and make a 2.5 times raise. I got 3 bet from the bb and for some reason I had it in my head that he thought i was just stealing (he thinks that i think that he thinks.....yada yada) so i 4 bet and he called so at that point I should have realised he had a hand, but no after he checked to me i fired half the pot and he shoved. Because I had pot commited myself so much I called with aq high and he had a set of 9s. So mad at myself for that 1 I ended up finishing 7th after having to shove with 10BBs with AJs and lost the race against pocket 8s. Its so frustrating when u spend 6 and a half hours in a tournament and 1 bad decision screws you. there was 747 runners and I was sure i was getting at least top three.

ahhh well u live and learn :/
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 01laitken10
      congrats on your win :)

exact same thing happened to me tonight, final table on party poker with 2 players already gone so theres 8 left and im 2nd in chips and pick up a q suited on the button and make a 2.5 times raise. I got 3 bet from the bb and for some reason I had it in my head that he thought i was just stealing (he thinks that i think that he thinks.....yada yada) so i 4 bet and he called so at that point I should have realised he had a hand, but no after he checked to me i fired half the pot and he shoved. Because I had pot commited myself so much I called with aq high and he had a set of 9s. So mad at myself for that 1 I ended up finishing 7th after having to shove with 10BBs with AJs and lost the race against pocket 8s. Its so frustrating when u spend 6 and a half hours in a tournament and 1 bad decision screws you. there was 747 runners and I was sure i was getting at least top three.

ahhh well u live and learn :/
      Yeah this is basically it. People start playing too fancy, I do this as well... just because it's the final table it doesn't mean you have to level yourself to the ground.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      I used to do that a bit but it helps to remember a there is actually quite a high bubble factor at final tables so it's better to play too tight than too loose and If everyone is turning maniac you can just TAG it up and get paid off anyway

Keep thinking in ranges cos then there is no "Is he levelling me?" question, you can just widen the range a bit to include bluffs if he's doing it a bit. If you find yourself starting to lose your thought process it's far better to fold a couple of orbits than to spew, this can give you a tighter image to exploit later too once you get your head back on.