Your actual BSS Bankroll Management.

• Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      So, in BSS articles it says 25BI is ok.

Yes, I believe it is ok on NL2, NL4, NL10. But what next?

Do you play NL25 with 625$ bankroll? I don't think so. What about NL100? You play that with 2500$ only? Just asking if someone could share their Bankroll management, as it's hard to play with 35BI for NL25 for me(well it used to be, but now I have problems with moving to NL50). Dunno why. Anyone has the same problem?

So if anyone could post their limit, and with what bankroll management you started :f_biggrin:

Something like:

NL25 - 1000$
      NL100 - 4000$

Would be really helpful. :f_biggrin:
  • 13 replies
    • IflopMonsters
      IflopMonsters
      Bronze
      If you want to move up fast and dont want to do regular withdrawals 25 buyins is ok up until NL100, @Nl100 30 buy ins is recomended :)

And if you want to withdraw regularly or your winrate is <4bb/100 you should have at least 30 buy ins :) This is general consensus in most poker forums :)
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      And does moving down happens a lot with that management?
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Saruniks

Do you play NL25 with 625$ bankroll? I don't think so. What about NL100? You play that with 2500$ only? Just asking if someone could share their Bankroll management, as it's hard to play with 35BI for NL25 for me(well it used to be, but now I have problems with moving to NL50). Dunno why. Anyone has the same problem?

So if anyone could post their limit, and with what bankroll management you started :f_biggrin:

Something like:

NL25 - 1000$
      NL100 - 4000$

well its ok to maintain a 25BI rule till about nl 50 or so..then after that 30 or so is good..

Id rather move up quick, make mistakes, come down, move up faster after learning my mistakes and then do well at the higher limits..

But ofc its important to consider things like if youre using this poker money to pay the bills etc...
    • IflopMonsters
      IflopMonsters
      Bronze
      And does moving down happens a lot with that management?
      Well as everything in poker- it depends :) If you run good it is possible to move up and up without having to move down :) But you have to be able to move down if you want to play with 25 buy in rule, otherwise you will destroy your bankrol :)

I personally have some problems with moving down so I prefer to have a high number of buy ins for a limit :)

Also the general consensus is that you should take shots when you have even 13 or 15 buy ins for a new level and you feel that you are dominating your current level, but then you should have a rule that you will move back down if you lose 3-5 buy ins :)
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by clawindsouza

Something like:

NL25 - 1000$
      NL100 - 4000$

well its ok to maintain a 25BI rule till about nl 50 or so..then after that 30 or so is good..

Id rather move up quick, make mistakes, come down, move up faster after learning my mistakes and then do well at the higher limits..

But ofc its important to consider things like if youre using this poker money to pay the bills etc...
      it's only you that can move up that fast :f_biggrin: But for real, thought that I can't be that unlucky and will try using 25BI rule again when going to NL50 :f_biggrin: I want a lot more than that. So I gues, everything or nothing :f_biggrin:
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      I kinda have the same problem, wouldn't play nl5 with less than 50 bi. I guess it's more of a mental thing, you probably would have problems moving down so you want to make your move somewhat "permanent" by having enough BI but I think it's actually better to move up then back down and get used to it.
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      yeah, I gues mental thing, I gues it's possible to improve that, and we both will beat that :f_biggrin: Used to be afraid of NL5 too, but now I just play to spewy there, though it works too :f_biggrin:
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      I'll tell you my plan, it might help.

I've played some FR before (two years ago), then played SNG's with relative success, then had to cash out basically my entire br, and now I have something over 100$ (started with some 70ish $).

I obv started playing @NL4, and SH for the first time. Studied articles and verneer's guide (found it somewhere on the forums), and now I've decided on this pretty aggressive brm:

I will move up to NL10 @150$, play two tables until I either get to 180-200$, at which point I'll start adding tables one by one, or fall to 120$ where I'll drop to NL4 again.

Basically, in my case, I don't have "scared money" problem, I'm not looking at living of of poker, and just want to have fun. I reckon bigger stakes -> more adrenalin -> more fun :D
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      You sound like a pretty risc-averse person. As am I ;)

I think I moved up to NL25 with 30 BI back in the days, and NL50 the same way.

But in my oppinion, it's not really the bankroll that plays the only big part in this dilemma. I think ones skill-level plays a really big part aswell.

For example, if you're a good player, and feel excited and confident about taking a shot at NL50, then there's really no need for more then 25-30 BI. But if you for some reason have a bigger bankroll then that (say you shipped a tournament) but still struggle with beating NL25 then obviously it's a bad idea to even consider taking a shot imo.

What I do/did is look at my own game, and together with my coach/other members try to figure out whether it would be a good idea to take a shot or not. If you're not mentally ready then just try to GET READY! Imo it's always a good idea to mentally prepare to move up in advance, and try to work extra hard on your game and try to think of things you may need to improve before moving up, or trying to.

It's really not that bad. Just set yourself a stop-loss limit (3-5 BI is what I normally use) and have a go at it. If it doesn't feel right, then just stop playing and ask yourself WHY? Then try to fix that.

If it feels good but you run a bit cold and end up at your stoploss. Well stop playing, go back to NL25 and grind back your money and then have another go.

My coach suggests to play just 1-2 tables of the higher limit at first (so that you can focus completely on what's going on and try to figure out what kind of players you are dealing with). Sit down and look at the game. Note down things that happen, and just try to stay calm, and you won't need a massive 35 BI or something. ;)
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vonki
      If it feels good but you run a bit cold and end up at your stoploss. Well stop playing, go back to NL25 and grind back your money and then have another go.

I just repeat this. Dunno how can someone run bad like me :f_biggrin:
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Haha it's ok Saruniks, I seem to do that as well :D Although i've been thinking that it can't all be run bad. I think when i'm taking a shot I care too much about the results, rather than the actual decisions. I tend to try and avoid profitable, but high variance decisions, which is obv -EV. I dunno, I guess I sort of regress when I take a shot. Say i've been pllaying the best poker of my life at NL25, exploiting all the regs and absolutely crushing, and then I take a shot at NL50 and instantly revert to ABC poker and stop exploiting situations like I should do.

Guess it'sa bit of scared money :D
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      25 BI for nl25 is ok

there's no point in being conservative, as your goal is to move up asap, so an aggressive BRM is preferable.

i used 30 BI for nl50 and 40 for nl100
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Err, currently 16 bi because i'm being aggro and can't be bothered to sit on nl2 when i was shotting @ nl10 before ft crisis, so just going make or break nl5