shorthanded donkaments [25NL atm]

• conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      so, a while back I came 2nd in an MTT for >2k euros. This was very nice, however I repeated my old BRM habit, which was to withdraw all of it, and then start from scratch. When I first began poker, it made sense, as it negated risk (to the extreme) that I would lose all my winnings. I have since decided that I have matured enough as a player, and that my BRM habits have improved sufficiently to keep my money in my account longterm.

so I decided to deposit $180 on stars about 2 weeks ago. I won't be withdrawing more than 20% of my roll anymore.

what ive done so far:

-studied verneer's PDF, reading it back to back twice.
      - read easy game, back to back, multiple times during quiet periods in work. fortunately the guy sitting beside me at work is an NL50 regular on PKR ( he says its meeega soft, so i'l be moving there later). so we talk a lot about diff spots, and we also go through some of the HH in easy game vol 2 when were bored.

I started at 10NL, going up 10 BI's during first session :s_cool:

currently i'm 4-7 tabling 25NL SH, depending on my mood, and how confident I feel on that particular day.

as you can see things are going pretty well ! :)

I aim to update this blog once a week with my progress as I no longer feel worried about my shortcomings. In fact I'l probably be documenting them as much as possible to get a kick in the ass from the community =)
  • 16 replies
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      current statistics:

hands played: 10,155
      win rate: 16.25bb/100
      expected winrate : 11.56bb/100
      current HEM leakbuster grade: A-

next targets: reach 25k hands played.
      watch 1 SH poker vid or read one SH ebook.
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      Welcome back to poker.
    • gekitsios
      gekitsios
      Global
      subscribed good luck
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I've heard you're playing on Stars, mind if I ask your screenname so I can say hi if I see you around? :D
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      my stars name is SamRoss88. I guess you are playing 25NLSH also?

had a crappy session yesterday. was 8 tabling and running into the top of everyone range all the time, sigh.

Everyone time I flopped top two, they flopped set. I even had a split pot with an inside straight, sigh. this coupled with losing KK vs AK pre just made me decide to end my session early. I think it was for the best!
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Yeah i'm at NL25 SH :) Don't think i've seen you around at all, my SN is Wrig90.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      nah u ain't in my HEM database
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      gonna update the blog after tonight's session. its gonna be a bit of a long post as a few things have happened.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      too tired to post atm, but had a monster session on PKR. I had some mindset issues recently, but ive cleared them up , thank god.

will post shortly, when i'm not grinding ;) . sometime this week. 25% of deposit bonus cleared, and enjoying rakeback. will be gold tomorrow I think on PS.com also :) .

reasons to like PKR:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.25(BB) PKR
      SB ($27.32)
      Hero ($25)
      UTG ($27.05)
      UTG+1 ($25)
      CO ($38.49)
      BTN ($28.09)

Dealt to Hero 9:spade: 9:club:

UTG raises to $0.75, UTG+1 calls $0.75, fold, BTN calls $0.75, SB calls $0.65, Hero calls $0.50

FLOP ($3.75) 8:heart: 4:spade: 9:diamond:

SB checks, Hero checks, UTG bets $2.50, UTG+1 calls $2.50, BTN calls $2.50, SB folds, Hero raises to $13.25, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $10.75, BTN folds

TURN ($35.25) 8:heart: 4:spade: 9:diamond: 7:diamond:

Hero bets $11 (AI),

UTG+1 folds

Hero shows 9:spade: 9:club:

Hero wins $33.49
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      good to see you back conall, gl
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      so, a million years later. conall88 staggers back into his house.

a days work, a fried dinner, and a few beers later, he decides now of all times would be a good time to blow the dust off that blog of his, while taking a small review at his HEM and trying to regain a general overview of "the plan".

25NL has been going great. I'm running hot atm, which helps, but i'm also playing good poker, and every week, i'm becoming more disciplined.

Discipline has been my biggest issue with succeeding in cash games, as the $ sign on the tables seems to have done something funny to my mindset. (much prefer bbs/chips ). This seems to be fast becoming an issue of the past however.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      so heres my overall stats for 25NL. I have a few big leaks to take care of, hopefully someone will post some advice here :f_biggrin: .

My two main focuses atm are: reviewing my mindset for turn play, as I tend to turnbarrel too much

&

adjust my CO strategy, as it doesn't seem to be effective.

current BR: $348
      rakeback earned so far this month:$70
      $382 deposit bonus: 41% cleared.

-------

Ive been taking aggro stabs at 50NL, but after considering things, I believe playing such an aggro BRM is having a detrimental affect on my ability to play poker. eg not folding TPTK in standard spots vs nits ( hand is below).

---

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.50(BB) Replayer
      SB ($103)
      BB ($137) <tight reg>
      UTG ($47.84)
      CO ($76.09)
      Hero ($50)

*warning, I played this awfully*
      Dealt to Hero A:club: Q:spade:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $1.75, fold, BB calls $1.25

FLOP ($3.75) 4:club: 5:club: Q:heart:

I dunno why but I somehow thought about my perceived range only, and not his range when playing this hand, and that was pretty fatal.

BB checks, Hero bets $3, BB raises to $10, Hero raises to $22.50, BB raises to $135 (AI), Hero calls $25.75 (AI)

TURN ($100) 4:club: 5:club: Q:heart: J:diamond:

RIVER ($100) 4:club: 5:club: Q:heart: J:diamond: A:heart:

Hero shows A:club: Q:spade:
      (Pre 46%, Flop 7.1%, Turn 0.0%)

BB shows 4:spade: 4:heart:
      (Pre 54%, Flop 92.9%, Turn 100.0%)

BB wins $97.25
      ---
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      so yeah, after you laugh at my terrible play above, you can understand why Ive decided to quit using Kelly(ish) BRM, as it doesn't seem to suit me.
      You might notice in fact that the current BR size is kinda small considering the winnings above. this would be my shitty ventures into 50NL ;( .

Once Ive cleaned up some leaks, i'm confident I can grind out some major $ without problems.
      moving on
      new plans:

short-term
      1) leakbust!
      2) play 3k+ hands/wk
      3) clear bonus before it expires ( I have like 30 days left).

Mid term

4) no more 50NL until BR = $1k
      5) book a leakbusting review with a coach

Long term

6) play 50k hands at 25NL.
      7) start 9 tabling ( i'm currently 6 tabling normally).
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Go conall go!"
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      learning a lot atm. While I love the LAG style, it seems ABC with some minor adjustments is more suitable when multitabling.

tried 12 tabling today. played for 1hr 30 mins. overall a big success. made some nice folds, and some nice calls. have some leaks to iron out, so won't be playing much tomorrow. gonna have a review session :)

for those of you who haven't seen the HEM2 hud, you can also check it out below:

me and clawin from pokerstrategy ended up playing a few hands :)

• conall88
      conall88
      Bronze

12 tabling 25NL 1st time. 180bb drop at end is 777 into QQQ..

will expose some of my leaks I aim to fix tomoro I think. :O