Tilt-protected cash games

• RuBloodhoof
      RuBloodhoof
      Bronze
      Hi, you can call me Arny, I’m from Russia. I play poker for a couple of years, mostly online tournaments. Tournaments were kind to me, but when FullTiltPoker shut down almost all of bankroll stuck with it.

I tried to play cash games, but every time tilt got in my way and I ended up saying "No more cash games for me EVER!"

And after all that here I’m attempting to beat cash games AGAIN. I read a bunch of articles about tilt and how to resist it, but it is really hard for me to keep myself together sometimes.

Honestly I expected this attempt to end like all others, but so far my new “weapon” in the war against tilt is working. So I’ve decided to start a blog, share my experience and get some help with my game from PokerStrategy community.

So here is the deal:

PokerRoom: PartyPoker
      Bankroll: $200 (deposited $100)
      Limit: NL10 (Full ring or Shorthanded)
      Tables: Up to 4 tables simultaneously
      Software: Holdem Manager, StopTilt

A little bit about "new weapon" and the game plan. Knowing how much can tilt affect my play I've decided to purchase StopTilt software. It has several useful features, but the most useful for me is setting up the Stop-Loss limit.

I just set it up before my poker session and play my game NOT worrying about losing big. If I reach my Stop-Loss limit StopTilt automatically shuts down all poker clients, preventing me to play for a couple of hours.

It really helps, because I don’t play poker being on tilt anymore. This software probably saved me 2 times the amount I paid for it already and I’m only playing for less than a week.

Anyway you can read more about it on their web site – http://stoptilt.com/

So, now when I’m tilt-protected I want to play using aggressive bankroll management.

Here is my plan:
      Play each limit until I have 25 buy-ins, then jump to the next one I try to play there (with 10-12 buy-ins). If I lose 2 buy-ins I will return to a previous limit with 20 buy-ins and so on.

I play 2-hour sessions with a 2-hour break between them, my Stop-Loss limit for each session equals to one buy-in of the current limit. I use StopTilt software to keep an eye on these things while I’m focusing on the game.

So I try to play my best and NOT to go broke again.
  • 21 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Good luck Arny and welcome to our blog section! :)

Ingrid
    • Sinnology
      Sinnology
      Global
      Hey Amy.
      I guess I could get used of such a tool myself.
      Can you tell bit more about your experiences with it ?

Goodl luck with cash games.
    • batukas
      batukas
      Bronze
      hi, Rubloodhoof. Well if u read articles about tilt you should understand that this software is just a short-term solution. Of course it's good because u avoid losing money, but u should invest more time figuring out why u tilt and how to control it and so on. Avoiding tilt is good, but i think learning not to tilt is way to go.
    • RuBloodhoof
      RuBloodhoof
      Bronze
      Well, StopTilt is a simple-looking tool. I needed to download .NET Framework in order to install it, but it didn’t take long.

This software can control your StopLoss limit, length of your sessions and prevent you from playing in certain time of the day. I configured it really quick.

It saved me already a couple of times from tilt. Once I got my whole stack in situation full vs. full and I lost.

Normally after something like this I would go crazy and probably would have lost another stack or two. Luckily my StopLoss limit equals to one stack, so StopTilt blocked me and I had a time to cool off.
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      Originally posted by Sinnology
      Hey Amy.
      I guess I could get used of such a tool myself.
      Can you tell bit more about your experiences with it ?

Goodl luck with cash games.
      lol, his name is Arny dude :coolface:
    • RuBloodhoof
      RuBloodhoof
      Bronze
      batukas, I agree with you, I am trying to figure out why I tilt and hopefully someday I will learn how NOT to. But now this software allows me to work on my tilt and safely play poker at the same time.
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      i also use a stoploss software tho i do u use different software. I agree that it is well worth the investment
    • Sinnology
      Sinnology
      Global
      Originally posted by i5bet72o
      i also use a stoploss software tho i do u use different software. I agree that it is well worth the investment
      can u pls name which one since stoptilt doesnt work well on my pc.
      Cant get past free try licence.
    • ZhiCheng
      ZhiCheng
      Bronze
      After playing tourneys for such long time, i believe you will find yourself pretty tiltfree in the game of lowest variance - nlheFR ;)
    • RuBloodhoof
      RuBloodhoof
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ZhiCheng
      After playing tourneys for such long time, i believe you will find yourself pretty tiltfree in the game of lowest variance - nlheFR ;)
      i wish :)
    • RuBloodhoof
      RuBloodhoof
      Bronze
      What do you mean, you can't get past free try licence, you can't get one?
    • Sinnology
      Sinnology
      Global
      Originally posted by RuBloodhoof

What do you mean, you can't get past free try licence, you can't get one?
      I got free key, but when I type it in nothing happens, and in try icon it says : cant find licence key.
    • Laggsy
      Laggsy
      Bronze
      Hey,

I've been playing cash games for over a year, currently playign NL100 and NL200. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask and I will follow your success.
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      i personsally use tiltbreaker
    • RuBloodhoof
      RuBloodhoof
      Bronze
      Here is the hand that i played today, tell me guys what you think. I played it pretty passively and I'm wondering was there a spot for raising?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Просмотреть раздачу

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $10.12
      BB (Hero):
      $17.73
      CO:
      $23.42
      BU:
      $11.04

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, K.
      CO raises to $0.30, BU folds, SB calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.9) T, 3, 3 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $0.64, SB folds, Hero calls $0.64.

Turn: ($2.18) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.91, Hero calls $1.91.

River: ($6) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $3.68, Hero calls $3.68.

Final Pot: $13.36.
    • RuBloodhoof
      RuBloodhoof
      Bronze
      Really, nobody? :)
      Bronze
      raise the turn i would say.
    • RuBloodhoof
      RuBloodhoof
      Bronze
      Since you guys help me out so good :) I want to share another hand with you. This one is pretty weird:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Просмотреть раздачу

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $9.85
      MP3:
      $9.98
      CO:
      $4.86
      BU (Hero):
      $11.95
      SB:
      $7.22
      BB:
      $18.36
      UTG2:
      $10.61
      MP1:
      $7.41

Preflop: Hero is BU with 8, 8.
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB folds, BB calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.65) 9, 9, 7 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.40, BB calls $0.40.

Turn: ($1.45) K (2 players)
      BB bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30.

River: ($2.05) 6 (2 players)
      BB bets $3.00

After his call on the flop I think he has like a flush or straight draw, 7 or some under pair. Small donk bet on the turn tells me he is most likely on a draw, yet I don't have that strong of a hand and I would want to go to showdown cheaply.

River is basically a blank, unless he had a straight draw. And here come 1.5 POT overbet! I'm really confused at this point, now I think I'm up against busted flush draw or trips at least.

Gladly will hear your opinions.
    • goinhunting3
      goinhunting3
      Bronze
      hi there mate, only been on ur limit recently but from what i can understand from this hand is the following. u hit a reasonable flop to cont bet, which is good but the call from his part is strange, which for me shows huge strength 9x or combo draw, when he bets small on the turn i feel it shows strength because he is trying to build the pot to get maximum value to push high on the river personally and i feel ur hand will be beaten here, so i would give it up essenitally ur only betting a bluff, even calling .30 into the pot doesnt give u the right pot odds and slightly the implied pot odds assuming he will stack off, i dont know his stats. so i would either raise on the turn or fold, u raise and he re raises u know where he stands. he folds excell, the king is a good bluffing card on this board. on the river i see a lot of idiots overbet on the river normally to get paid off with a monster, they normally bet really low with busted draws.

now this might be completely wrong, so if i am please someone correct me lol.

gl for the future.