Winning freeroll is a luck? not?

• lennyCro
      lennyCro
      Bronze
      Hey.

Something is bothering me in the last few days.
      You can often hear on pokerstrategy from coaches or admins - if you don't have $ to start, build your BR on freerolls. My scholarship is very late and I decided to listen to that advice and try...

I played about 20 freerolls. I read all silver articles about MTT (I read them a year ago and they helped me very much th. I think they're great), and wanted to ask what you all think. They are worthless for freerolls or what? Maybe just need some adjustments for early phase?

Half year ago I stopped playing poker because I had to finish my college and then I got e-mail about 10k PS freeroll on PP. And I finished about 2x place (52$, not bad). That was the reason I got back on poker (and ofc, now I have more time to play). So as my scholarship is not coming, I play freerolls and point tournaments on party.
      And if I follow charts from articles, I cannot win nothin. i.e. yesterday, i played 20pts 250$ tournament on PP where I didn't play one single hand. Except last hand when I got out AKo vs AA (I had about 2k chips on BB, blinds 200/400). Before that hand i really couldn't play one single hand, was getting just trash for more than one hour. I also couldn't steal anything because every hand was min 4-way...

So thats why my question from the subject. Are freerolls all about luck or what?
      Reasons why that comes on my mind are: first half hour is allin or fold game, then when 1d10ts are out, blinds are getting bigger and bigger and you need to wait your hand (which don't come in time or in position most of the times) and then you have one shot when she comes but vs 3 or 4 players because every hand is 4 or more way played.

So thats just like that or am I missing something?

lenny
  • 9 replies
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      Yes, you do need luck to win freerolls, but then again you need luck in any MTT. They're very high variance. But the thing is in freerolls the variance is fairly bigger because the fold equity is close to none so you actually have to have the best hand most of the time.
    • lennyCro
      lennyCro
      Bronze
      I agree. But it very often happens that best hand doesn't come before you have <=10BB.

Wouldn't be smarter to limp as more hands as you can to see the flop with suited connectors or a small pair for i.e.? Just to try to collect some chips before mid stage...
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      I think you do need more luck to win freerolls, i know cases where in freerolls people register and then never play, so then when you look at the tables of some of the chip leaders, everyone is sitting out apart from them so theyre just constantly stealing blinds and winning every hand which is annoying and also people shove alot wider because they dont care about the freeroll as much. :)
    • tonduluboy
      tonduluboy
      Bronze
      I played the 150 players max freeroll $100 and couldnt even get into top 10 after almost 10 times, keep losing to bad beat.

I played the $0.25 about 1300 players regularly and got few Top20.

My conclusion, u need luck more in freeroll due to higher variance.
    • purple16
      purple16
      Bronze
      I think you need more skill playing freerolls. Because, you are going to face large variety of players and exploiting them requires decent skill. Of course, luck is also important factor in freerolls as well as other games.
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennyCro
      I agree. But it very often happens that best hand doesn't come before you have <=10BB.

Wouldn't be smarter to limp as more hands as you can to see the flop with suited connectors or a small pair for i.e.? Just to try to collect some chips before mid stage...
      Nobody said you shouldn't call suited connectors on the button. That chart is basic stuff, you need to expand on it.
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      When I started my BR playing $100 free rolls I was making the money about 20-30% of the time but the money was so small it was hardly worth it. Like everyone else is saying, people don't bother as much with them so you should be using any money you have to play more profitable games.
    • Fr0z3nByt3
      Fr0z3nByt3
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennyCro
      Hey.

Something is bothering me in the last few days.
      You can often hear on pokerstrategy from coaches or admins - if you don't have $ to start, build your BR on freerolls. My scholarship is very late and I decided to listen to that advice and try...

I played about 20 freerolls. I read all silver articles about MTT (I read them a year ago and they helped me very much th. I think they're great), and wanted to ask what you all think. They are worthless for freerolls or what? Maybe just need some adjustments for early phase?

Half year ago I stopped playing poker because I had to finish my college and then I got e-mail about 10k PS freeroll on PP. And I finished about 2x place (52$, not bad). That was the reason I got back on poker (and ofc, now I have more time to play). So as my scholarship is not coming, I play freerolls and point tournaments on party.
      And if I follow charts from articles, I cannot win nothin. i.e. yesterday, i played 20pts 250$ tournament on PP where I didn't play one single hand. Except last hand when I got out AKo vs AA (I had about 2k chips on BB, blinds 200/400). Before that hand i really couldn't play one single hand, was getting just trash for more than one hour. I also couldn't steal anything because every hand was min 4-way...

So thats why my question from the subject. Are freerolls all about luck or what?
      Reasons why that comes on my mind are: first half hour is allin or fold game, then when 1d10ts are out, blinds are getting bigger and bigger and you need to wait your hand (which don't come in time or in position most of the times) and then you have one shot when she comes but vs 3 or 4 players because every hand is 4 or more way played.

So thats just like that or am I missing something?

lenny
      I got my first poker money a year ago from freerolls. So what I can tell you is that you have to play a lot of them to make the money in one (that's because there are a lot of players and a small number of places payed) and that you should take some risks in the first half hour, this way you either have a healthy chip stack and more chances to make the money or you bust and register for another freeroll. Play many of those, on different poker sites too and you should have no problem in making it to the money some day soon. GL
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      General freeroll strategy should be chp preservation, you shouldn't play pretty suited connectors or broadways. People will literally never fold, so if you lost 500 from your initial 1500 stack by fishing about and then double up you will have 2000 chips. If you just preserve your stack and double up the full amount (1500) then you will have 3000 chips. A 50% better increase :)