[NL2-NL10] nl5 jj turn

• Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Villian 75/16/2.7 aggression (4.3,1.2,3.5 3 streets)

Really just no idea how to play this hand :)

Thoughts on it?

Thanks!

Edit: posted this in my blog, can you tell me what you think about my thought processes please?

"Villian is fishy... but I don't know how to play it. I suppose I should think of it like this:

Vililan is pretty aggressive. Turn completes a few straight draw combinations, and obviously completes a FD. Not sure if turn call was right though.

But; his limp calling range and betting out aggressive on the turn imo probably means if I hit a diamond on the river I can stack him, because I don't think he's going to have many q/k/a combos with a higher diamond.

He probably isn't limp calling q/k with diamond draws and playing the hand like this. Maybe A(4-9) with a diamond in it?

Could be wrong there though..."

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.05(BB) Replayer
      SB ($5.76)
      BB ($1.68)
      UTG ($9.29)
      UTG+1 ($5.89)
      Hero ($6.23)
      BTN ($5.12)

Dealt to Hero J:spade: J:diamond:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.25, fold, fold, fold, UTG+1 calls $0.20

FLOP ($0.57) 4:club: 7:diamond: 5:diamond:

UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $0.40, UTG+1 calls $0.40

TURN ($1.37) 4:club: 7:diamond: 5:diamond: 9:diamond:

UTG+1 bets $1.10, Hero calls $1.10

RIVER ($3.57) 4:club: 7:diamond: 5:diamond: 9:diamond: 6:spade:

UTG+1 bets $1.40, Hero folds

UTG+1 wins $3.40
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Jim4rdo,

The only problem there is that it really seems like a semi-bluff on turn and therefore I would as well even consider Calling. If he really had any kind of strong hand then I expect such an opponent to Check/Raise it on turn.

But as played it's more likely a straight or something similar, which tries to get value from some weaker pairs or something similar. So therefore I guess I wouldn't change much in the play. Way too dangerous board to do anything fancy.

And about such opponents you can't basically put them on a range as you see yourself that they have a huge VPIP and very aggressive. I mean of course you can but that's most often not a perfect range. Sometimes to avoid difficult situations for example I do just fold it right on turn. Take it this way, we have only invested $0,65 into the pot and now we have to Call $1,10, is it really worth? As we can sometimes even him having a strong made hand and as well even he might be capable of betting the river as well when we will have hard time Calling.

Best regards.
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Ah, thanks for that feedback :)

Nice to hear I didn't play it too badly.

Say i called and river came 2 :diamond: and villian shoved, could we call it? I know you said about not really being able to put him on a range which is true, but most probably he wont have q/k :diamond: here so we only have to worry about the ace?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Jim4rdo

Say i called and river came 2 :diamond: and villian shoved, could we call it? I know you said about not really being able to put him on a range which is true, but most probably he wont have q/k :diamond: here so we only have to worry about the ace?
      When he shoves then I'd be inclined still to fold. They still ain't capable of shipping like that with bluffs on those stakes but rather doing it for value.
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Originally posted by Jim4rdo

When he shoves then I'd be inclined still to fold. They still ain't capable of shipping like that with bluffs on those stakes but rather doing it for value.
      But then really the majority of river hands will mean we have to fold to.

He'll probably bet pretty much any hand, and pretty much any card he can bet; the lower one gives him more equity straight wise, and overcards he could barrel as if he's hit, which then we can't really call because his range is so loose preflop?

So yeah, safest is to fold the turn really?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      For me most likely. That's cause of the board connectivity. As you see flushes, straights/sets/2pairs a lot of different hands are possible. The more hands are possible, the harder becomes our profitable Call there. And usually I am not a big fan of going for the hero Call unless I have seen how the opponent does play or some reads/information.