Continuation Bet

• Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      Now i've read quite alot of articles and watched a fair amount of vids, and the one thing i still think is the hardest is the continuation bet.
      It seems that even though its the most common it is by far the hardest. I cbet about 72% of the time, which from what i've seen through articles seems still a little too high. Should it between 60-70%? Especially at lower limits people cbet way way too much.

The only big rules i've seen is dont cbet multiway pots without a strong made hand, dont cbet wet boards when you have no draw and are easily getting floated and cbet boards with top pair plus.

Apart from that im not really sure, should i bet my middle pair on a wet board? Do i bet my KK on an ace high flop with a dry board. Is it always opponent dependent or is there a set way of playing it.

Im interested in knowing what other peoples cbet % are and whether they feel its too high or too low.
  • 8 replies
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Hey, i myself have no idea what my cbet % is, but it say i need to cbet more. Now i aint no expert, but just one point on what you said, from what ive read in articles, surely you would want to cbet wet boards if you have top pair for example to protect your hand and make the next card expensive for you opponent who may be on a draw.

Also i think cbetting KK on a dry A High board would mean you would only be getting called by better and weaker hands are folding?

Not claiming im right but this is just what ive gathered from reading the articles, please someone with more experience me inform if im right or not. :)
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      i'm not so sure you would only be getting called by someone with a pair of aces there since loads of players have trouble laying down hands like suited connectors and lower pocket pairs.. i still think it's right to c-bet a dry A high board purely to push them off the hand. if they have an A you will know cos they will definitely either call or raise. if they call you can sometimes even check it down to the river with them which means you may hit your cheeky 2 outer but obviously it would be check/fold if they do call your flop c-bet. i think the idea is that they will most often not have an A in their hand, so you want to take the pot down there and then and fold to any resistance.

i think it should be bet/fold on the flop and if you make it to turn it should be check/fold from there on unless ofc you hit a K.
    • cpers
      cpers
      Bronze
      I usually cbeting when I want my villain's to fold or you could ch/r them.
      So you need to have a read on the villains, what's his range is, is he tight postflop or not, can he see me hit the board, etc.

Just follow the charts and you got plenty of time to write notes :D

IMO, to have a cbet succesfully you need to build a tight preflop image.
      Oh yeah I prefer doing it opponent/position dependent and my cbet today is 100% :D Tight as hell.

Same here, Not claiming i'm right :)
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      At keoghh: yeah you have to cbet a wet board with top pair. I did say one of the rules that i thought there are is always bet top pair or better. I meant don't bet wet boards with less than a good draw.

I've seen vids and people suggest that cbet as low as 60% and mine is just no where near that. I am also very unsure how often you should second barrel and what kind of boards are suited to doing so.
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      1. How much % is the ideal stats for cbet at the micros? 70% maybe?
      2. When do you think we have to NOT cbet?

my aswer for #2:
      - we hit at least set
      - when we almost sure we are beaten and Villain will not fold to cbet. for example we raise preflop with 22 and flop: AK7 rainbow.

That's less than 10% situation. Can you add more?
    • shehanshah
      shehanshah
      Bronze
      C-bet is done always against a single opponent and should be rarely done in three or more way pots when u really think u r ahead. I say don't go for percentages, go with what ur gut says to. And yh play 2k+ tourneys and u'll no more be confused on this.

You should always c-bet on A high board with KK, coz if the villian calls or raises u can get away from the pot on the flop or the turn. People simply call , call, call ,call flop turn river and go broke at micros with KK like this.
    • DailyDollarPro
      DailyDollarPro
      Silver
      For starters you need to define what a C-bet actually is.

If you flop top pair or better, you are no longer C-betting, you are value betting. It is important to realise the distinction, because in order for your C-bets to work they have to look like value bets.

So, the scenario is: action has folded to us in late position and we have opened with a raise. One of the blinds calls and then checks the flop.

We have: A:spade: J:club:

Board 1: J:diamond: 9:diamond: 3:spade:

This is a clear value bet. We have TPTK and a whole bunch of weaker hands can call us.

Board 2: K:heart: 7:spade: 2:club:

This is an obvious C-Bet spot. Villain won't have hit this board very often, but from his point of view we could easily have a king. Our C-bet achieves two objectives. First, we force villain to fold a bunch of hands that have equity against us, eg Q:diamond: 10:diamond: . We prevent them from seeing the turn for free and potentially catching a pair to take the lead. The second objective is we can actually fold out hands that are ahead, eg 5:diamond: 5:club:

Board 3: 10:spade: 9:spade: 8:diamond:

This spot we are C-betting as well. Although we technically only have ace high, we still have a lot of equity with an up and down straight draw, two over cards and a backdoor nut flush draw. Even if Villain calls with a hand like K:heart: 10:heart: , we can catch a lot of cards on the turn to improve.

Board 4: 8:heart: 7:heart: 5:club:

This type of board we can check back. Villain has a lot of medium cards in his range that could have hit this board, but more importantly, we dont have many hands in our range that connect. We are repping high cards by raising preflop so villain is unlikely to fold and may even check raise bluff us with a draw.

In summery, we always bet when:

We have strong equity and villain can call with worse.
      We have low equity, but the board appears to favour our range.
      We have medium equity and can improve on the turn.

We check back when:

We have low equity and the board favours the callers range.
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      Nice post, very helpful :)

i tend to fold to cbets to often is a problem i have, according to hem and stats especially turn ones. Something i need to work on :)