The myth goes on..

• rinnrinn
      Hey Guys -

first, to skip the introduction of myself, please read this Thread.

After you did, here is said Blog (and i'm apologizing for every speech defect in advance)

This is going to be a Blog about one table SNG's on Stars (9-max, no turbos)*, i'm starting below at $1 and moving up when i reach the preassigned conditions (which will be 50BIs of the next limit in winnings)

• $1.50 -> beated with $175 in winnings
      • $3.50 -> beated with $350 in winnings
      • $7.00 -> beated with $750 in winnings
      • so far so good...

While playing on one level, i will provide Graphs and statistics, some Hands played *not* straight forward, thoughts and stuff like that..

I think I gonna play like 4 to 6 tables at the same time, just to guarantee an overview about what I'm doing for what reason - so it could take some time until reaching the conditions but who cares! It only means more stuff on one level ;)

Because some of my opponents may read this as well, i still wont unleash my user name. This way, i can provide deep thoughts over a long time without concerning

*There was the idea of playing HU-SNG's which wasn't bad tho, but i will stay at one tables for now and maybe start another blog another day

great - I will start playing right now, and i will include my short test-run from yesterday into the data (as i got good results ^^)
      First graphs and hands may come tonight, def. not later than tomorrow

:diamond: :heart: :spade: :club: :s_cool:
  • 19 replies
    • xlesleyx
      Nice loved the suspense there :P didnt know where we were going....
      Ill keep an eye on your progress whats your stars username?
      gl nice start to a blog :P :P
    • vonki
    • MarcPS
      gogogogogogo and win the world!

<add to favourites>
    • rinnrinn
      So, after a short break i will now post the result of my first session:

Click me
      Images are not allowed, i dont know how to post it so i linked it..

How you can see, i got pretty good results.. I must say, these limits are the easiest challenge i had the last time ;) I did some weired plays (like one 4-bet call on the river with ace hi) due to over-leveling with not thinking opponents, but all in all i played straight forward which is def. a good idea here.

As i had a huge post-flop advantage, i was willing to made some tight folds in the early phase, here is one example:

No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (9 handed)

BB (t1400)
      Hero (UTG) (t1490)
      UTG+1 (t2020)
      MP1 (t1610)
      MP2 (t900)
      MP3 (t1000)
      CO (t1910)
      Button (t1670)
      SB (t1500)

Hero's M: 49.67

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A :spade: , K :club:
      Hero bets t80, 3 folds, MP3 calls t80, 2 folds, SB raises to t1500 (All-In), 3 folds

Total pot: t260

Some might argue this is insta-fold, some might say this is insta-call...however, SB-Stats are VP:11 PR:6 3B: 4.9 on 120hands, and even if i gave him TT+,AQs+,AK (what i dont) this is not worth a call.

ok this was easy, now here is another example with following ICM calculation:

No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 100/200 Blinds (3 handed)

Hero (Button) (t2850)
      SB (t6525)
      BB (t4125)

Hero's M: 9.50

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, 7
      Hero bets t500, 1 fold, BB raises t3925 (All-In),

BB Stats are VP:16, PR:13 3B:15 on 103 hands
      however, i think hes much loser as most hands i played him were fullring

This is tricky. My head told me to call.. say he will shove 77+ / almost every broadway and A7s+ / K9s+

The next moment i was not sure, i'm palying for all my chips with a hand crushing ~ the lower 25% of his range ..i random called anyway with a bad feeling

Lets make a short Calculation to show how bad that decision was:

after I raised 500, my $ev was ~$3.23, a lost will cost all of them, a win will add ~$1.13
      So i need a minimum of ~65% against his range say ( 77+,A7s+,K9s+,QTs+,JTs,ATo+,KTo+,QJo )

A7s has ~43.31%

To reach my 65% i need to tighten up to ( TT+,AQs+,AKo )

Against some other player on another limit i might argue against that tight call, but in this situation were i can get the chips easy back with a few shoves, i agree!

He shoved with 66 at this spot, so i flipped , flop brought a flushdraw, but i lost
      even if he shoved loser than one might think, this is direct-shove OR instafold next time
      (BTW: this should be a direct allin preflop, but as i put myself in this situation, i turned my good hand into trash)

I honestly don't know if these hands are good examples or what hands would be, but this ICM calculation is a good start into SNG-theory

I will go on playing now..i need some more samples to do a deeper analysis

So far - :diamond: :heart: :spade: :club: :s_biggrin:
    • gekitsios
      imo AK is a good fold but A7s is instant fold.He will never push wider than A7s in the best way you are coinfling but in the most situations you are way behind
    • rinnrinn
      ....i unfortunately don't have any new hands.
      I cannot play good poker when I'm tired ;) Hopefully I gonna play some SNG's today tho.
      We stay in touch -
      :diamond: :heart: :spade: :club: :s_frown:
    • rinnrinn
      Here is another graph for formal reasons..

didn't went so great this time. I dont have any hands to show you - might be boring anyway as you should know what tight straight forward turney play means in general ;)

In return i got other infos which i forgot to bring up:

I am using Turnament Shark and Holdem Manager (you might concluded that by seeing the graph^^) for the HUD only.. but i dont use that HUD in the first place, as Turnament Shark has much more valuable infos like early-, bubble- or late-finishes (i dont use TS-hud, cause i would have to change stats for each seat individually)

As players are pretty weak, i changed my bubble play into a more nitty-style.. i hit on that after losing to a couple of ten hi hands to finish in fourth place.. usually i would *not* recommend a nitty bubble play (for obvious reasons) but in these you gain enough value ITM :f_love:

So overall it now looks like that: After 67 Turnaments i made about $40 which results in 39.8% ROI with $2.43 hourly...

I think I'm going to play more tables at once starting from now. It might handicap a growing ROI (or even lower it) but we will see.. it def. boosts my hourly (compared to 4-tabling ATM)

Maybe i will come up with a few hands next time..yeah i think i will..There were some early-phase situations which are great to analyze
      I'm not so good in reporting session-stuff :rolleyes: maybe i will get better over the time, otherwise you have to hope for news about RinnRinn's magical world :D

:diamond: :heart: :spade: :club: :s_biggrin:
    • IngridN
      WOOT?! How did I miss this blog for so long :D

Awesomest :s_cool:
    • rinnrinn
      First of all: Thanks for the positive feedback so far. I'm glad that you like the way I'm doing this :)

Further, the 8-tabling idea went "bad"
      What i mean with that is: I did neither raise my hourly, nor hold my ROI
      I think the reason for that is, that i did not took notes and switched in a mechanic style..

I'm going back to 4-tabling for a while (no reason to be impatient, is there?)

Well, i took a look into my early phase game and here is what i have to change so far:

63% fold to 3Bet - I might open too lose from late position. Associated with a 4Bet range lower than 1% I def. found a leak here.
      I lost a good amount of chips with offsuit broadways and suited baby-aces..Thats my stealrange so as i said: i am opening too lose from late position. It should be enough to steal (22+,ATo+,A8s+,KJs+,KQ+) or even tighter. This way, i can keep up C-Betting pretty wide.

Not really a leak but still a losing play is calling too much in raised multiway pots. Don't know where that comes from, maybe I'm playing too many suited aces to small raises while overplaying one pair hands, or I simply don't hit my sets...)

I have to apologize again that I don't have any hands (as well as i could not take notes I forgot to mark hands..) I will come up with some soon.
      Maybe you could give a short feedback on what situations you are interested in..

Last but not least i have good news: I placed in Poker Stars' Battle of Planets promo.
      I'm still in the upper half - let's hope that i will cash at least the $5 :)

Back on the grind -
      :diamond: :heart: :spade: :club: :s_grin:

(Edit: I now know why i can't post images...anyway, you have to be content to get the links to the images =) )
    • gekitsios
      seven icon from left to right is insert image link.Just copy paste the link
    • rinnrinn
      I just finished a session. I started playing 4 tables but after i ran bad, i added them up to like 10 or so..

here is how it looks like to run under ev

This throws me back a few days. I'm only $21 up by now. However, it will come back someday

To get an impression of how they're playing here is one special hand.

No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (9 handed)

MP1 (t1589)
      Hero (MP2) (t1445)
      MP3 (t1655)
      CO (t1873)
      Button (t1184)
      SB (t1360)
      BB (t1495)
      UTG (t1294)
      UTG+1 (t1605)

Hero's M: 32.11

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7:heart: , 7:spade:
      UTG calls t30, 1 fold, MP1 calls t30, Hero calls t30, 1 fold, CO calls t30, 1 fold, SB calls t15, BB checks

Flop: (t180) 7:diamond: , 10:spade: , 2:diamond: (6 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets t150, CO calls t150, 4 folds

Turn: (t480) 3:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets t345, CO calls t345

River: (t1170) 8:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets t920 (All-In), CO calls t920

Total pot: t3010

Yeah you might know how i was crying when he turned over his gutshot...

(BTW: I'm still unsure if i should have check called.. I agree with that shove cuz I see hands like T7 or T8 or even AT (mostly) calling there, but on higher limits against some more predictable player i would have c/called)

Now I'm kinda monkey tilt and will go to bed..
      :diamond: :heart: :spade: :club: :s_mad:
    • RedHeater
      This is the problem with MTTs, the variance is lethal.

I'm not sure why you want to check-call on the end - to induce a bluff? Obviously you want to get all the chips in the middle if you can in that situation.

If these guys are fishing to the river trying to catch every time, I might consider a bigger bet on the turn and make them pay for it.

I wouldn't lose sleep over the hand though, or over any small downswing. Huge MTT winners can go a year or more without making any money, the variance is ludicrous in those games. If the poker gods want to let these guys suck out on you time after time there isn't a lot you can do but grin and bear it.
    • rinnrinn
      Originally posted by RedHeater
      This is the problem with MTTs, the variance is lethal.

I'm not sure why you want to check-call on the end - to induce a bluff? Obviously you want to get all the chips in the middle if you can in that situation.

If these guys are fishing to the river trying to catch every time, I might consider a bigger bet on the turn and make them pay for it.
      I agree with both: i rarely if ever should c/call (as there are fewer bluffing hands folding to a shove than value hands checking behind), I also like the idea of pot-betting the turn. However, this is STT not MTT :)

Todays Session: Click clack

It was like loosing 100% of flips HU...

if it were not enough of bad news, i got a mail that i have to pay €2000 as the proper agency made damn mistakes in accounting.
      What does that have to do with this Blog: well it might result in paying it from my BR and working in a "real job" *crappy*
      So lets hope that they will correct that error. ;( X(
      What-so-ever, if im busto, im busto

Until then, i will go on playing. I expect more winnings as i'm going to oldschool-multitabling from now on (That means 8 to 12 tables)

I would still be interested in what situations you want to get analyzed. Most of the hands are played pretty standart because there is no room for creative play when opponents are donkeys..however, I'd like to start a discussion about some general spots.

I took some examples for bubble-hands here:

No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 100/200 Blinds (4 handed)

SB (t3940)
      BB (t1620)
      UTG (t3170)
      Hero (Button) (t4770)

Hero's M: 15.90

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7:club: , A:club:
      1 fold, Hero bets t500, SB raises t700, 1 fold, Hero calls t300

Flop: (t1800) 7:spade: , Q:heart: , 3:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets t200

I've shorten the history. I pretty much misplayed postflop and I dont want to make this the subject of this analysis.
      What i wanna talk about it Preflop and flop play.

opponent was 3Betting pretty wide, so i thought A7s is ok to take a look at the flop. Maybe i would make a draw or two pair. So I called (raising is senseless as he would call most better hands i think). Flop comes down Q73 rainbow. Now I'm crushed by AQ, KQ, 88+ plus maybe QJs. On the other side im crushing AK/AJ/AT. Well it looks pretty bad for my one pair hand. Opponent now donks min. He could do that with top-/overpair, however i interpreted this bet as a tester c-bet with AK or 88/99/TT/JJ - so I floated, hoping for an ace or 7 on the turn. Now I think i should have raised as these hands would fold pretty often to like a 1000 raise on the bubble. If he shoved, i could have folded easily.
      In that situation after some losses to weird played I was in the mood of "they are bluffing anyway" which is always a big mistake. So I wanted to let him bluff (With what hands???)

However, I called him down because he kept his betsizes small and turn and river were blank. He turned over JJ, so a flopraise might have been a good idea.

No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 100/200 Blinds (4 handed)

Button (t5145)
      SB (t1497)
      Hero (BB) (t4205)
      UTG (t2653)

Hero's M: 14.02

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:spade: , 6:club:
      1 fold, Button bets t400, 1 fold, Hero raises t1000, 1 fold

Total pot: t900

This is pretty standart play by me. On the other hand you're not wrong calling here. Player tends to steal _really_ lose plus c-betting pretty wide, so there are many flops I can c/call c/shove turn or simply let him bluff while calling down.

I like the 3Bet what-so-ever, as I know where I stand out of position. This is a pure bluff 3Bet using a tight image on the bubble. I might have done the same with 72o because SB was so short and (as mentioned) BB were opening very spewy

No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (4 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from

SB (t3904)
      Hero (BB) (t1443)
      UTG (t5733)
      Button (t2420)

Hero's M: 9.62

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:diamond: , J:spade:
      1 fold, Button bets t400, 1 fold, Hero raises t1343 (All-In), Button calls t1043

Button is break even Rock stealing ~18% of hands. I did not have any sample on Fold to 3bet so far. Anyway, this should be standart play as well because i can't be sure what range opponent is actually opening
      Only thing what makes this spot tricky is: Both CO and SB are fishy sneaking into flop 50%+ so I could have waited for them to eliminate themself. But this is not my style, I'm playing to win and KJ is good enough

I just random picked some hands afterwards. I'm pretty tired and annoyed by my bad run (in poker as well as in RL ) so i hope its not total bul**hit i posted about the hands.

So far and hopefully until the next session -
      :diamond: :heart: :spade: :club: :s_frown:
    • RedHeater
      Whoops I was thinking you were playing MTTs. I believe STTs are relatively good variance-wise.

First hand, I don't know what to put him on with his small bet. Its such a dry flop, there aren't a huge number of draws. I am tempted just to call the flop like you did with 5 outs. This is roughly 20% equity and you have to put in less than 20% of the pot (not even accounting for implied odds). I would have thought the raise move could be made with big hands and complete air if you wanted to balance.

The 3 bet move of the next hands - what sort of stack size do you think its good to go with a 3 bet shove rather than a raise? It strikes me in the KJ hand he can't fold anything to the raise, given the odds he is laid.

In the A6o hand he has really good odds to call in position, it strikes me if he has anything playable he should be calling? How about a shove there?
    • rinnrinn
      ..thus I have something to announce today:

This blog will come to an end. I 'decided' to quit playing poker for a while due to the given reasons. This really hurts me, and now that I'm writing this down, I'm not even sure how to manage that.

I now played poker for over 5 years (I went 20 in may this year, so I obv not played for realmoney until i got 18.. :rolleyes: ), and almost 2 of them I exclusively earned money by p-o-k-e-r ... This obviously was an up and down, playing on micro limits, but i lived my dream for a short but wonderful part of my life, hoping to climb the limits all over the time.

Now, that I dont have money left to play, I will use the opportunity to concentrate on education outside of gambling. This might be karma, as education is important, isn't it?
      Aside from that, me and my older brother will offer a local poker basics-training around our hometown, and hopefully this will be crowned by success.

I was thinking about a staking. This way, i could go on playing while accumulating the needed cash another way, but I suspect there wont be a deal I could live with (as i need to earn enough money monthly to pay my bills....). Anyway, If you have enough cash to stake me for the upper micros or lower mids, and you feel like this will be a win-win-deal, PN me anyway. You can expect me playing my agame with a second chance in any case =)

I'm sad that i can not finish this blog, without even reaching the second level, and it preys on my mind. This abrupt ending is the last thing i expected.
      I'm not at my local machine atm, but i will come up with the overallgraph of the 1.50SNG-run soon. I feel like this is something i should end it with.

So far, I wish the all of you good luck at the tables, and might your dreams come / stay true
      :diamond: :heart: :spade: :club: :s_confused:
    • rinnrinn
      I just checked out the staking-forum, but I'm not allowed to post there due to my status..*lorl*

btw, as I'm no more playing, here's what you wanted to know: My username is Mc Callmuck
      official poker rankings

[edited by thazar]
      Go in and win!
    • RedHeater
      Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Playing poker to pay the bills adds a lot of pressure to everything. Perhaps you will find later on that its something to come back to. After all, if you find it fun its not a bad hobby to have, offering a bit of extra income on the side.

I totally agree that more education is always worth having, especially if you are only 20.
    • thazar
      Hi Rinnrinn

It's a shame that you have to quit playing. Maybe an opportunity will present itself who knows.

I had to edit your post above as you cannot directly or indirectly make a staking request in your blog. I trust you understand

Best of luck in the future

• rinnrinn
      whatever, here is the whole result of the said 1.50 run

imageshack link

overall ~$30 under ev, thats how it can go. usually it should be easy doing just nitting around. on the other hand, if you like some more advanced games (or just thinking opponents) you should consider playing $5 / $10 stt's.. i think in those an aggressive bubble play for example makes you gain much more equity than in the $1 cause you will find yourself in too many marginal allin spots against hands like suited connectors or like Qhi i said, stay nit and make their weakness your profits.

GL! :diamond: :heart: :spade: :club: :f_cool: