[NL2-NL10] nl5 sh 88

• Jim4rdo

Dunno what to do on this hand.

Villian is 12/8/2.0 aggression. wts 40%, w$sd 100% (5 times)

Considering villian is soo tight and winning showdown so much, bet and calling raise on the flop = i'm crushed? He either has overpair over some better hand, probably set since I don't think he's calling connectors here.

check fold turn = better line?

But since after I bet the turn I get 1:8 odds I've got to call, although I know I was beat.

Feel like my play is so s**t at the moment, just spewing money/losing money anyway. >_> sigh face.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.05(BB) Replayer
      SB ($4.55)
      BB ($4.44)
      UTG ($3)
      Hero ($5.07)
      CO ($3.06)
      BTN ($12.34)

Dealt to Hero 8:diamond: 8:club:

UTG calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.25, fold, fold, SB calls $0.23, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.60) 2:diamond: 4:diamond: 5:club:

SB bets $0.35, Hero raises to $1.15, SB calls $0.80

TURN ($2.90) 2:diamond: 4:diamond: 5:club: T:heart:

SB checks, Hero bets $2.10, SB raises to $3.15 (AI), Hero calls $1.05

RIVER ($9.20) 2:diamond: 4:diamond: 5:club: T:heart: Q:diamond:
  • 2 replies
    • Bierbaer
      First of all you should think about why you're raising the flop.
      a) Are you doing it mostly for value vs draws and worse made hands?
      b) Or as a bluff to get better hands to fold?

In case a) you have an easy bet/call on the turn because you're still ahead of all the FDs and Ax type hands (gutshot + overs).
      In case b) you're probably better off folding on the flop because he's unlikely to fold higher overpairs.

Of course wether you can go way a) or b) depends on what the opponent is leading out on the flop with.

If you cannot raise for either reason a) or b), then you have to make a decision between call and fold.

Personally I don't like the flopraise too much because you don't have reads and you're opening up a big pot in which you'll be committed quickly (as you saw).
      I think a fold is too weak because I'd expect him to have some bluffs in his range.
      So I'd call his flopbet.

P.S.: w$sd 100% out of 5 times tells you nothing!
      If you make decisions based on this stat with that small of a samplesize, you're much better off disabling it in your hud.
    • Jim4rdo
      Thank you so much veriz!

This has really helped, I need to think about the things you wrote more often. Usually I just do it without thinking too hard, which leads me into problem areas as we see :)

Thanks again, great bit of information you've wrote there. Cheers for taking the time to type that!