FishTastic: I see dead money

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      :heart: :diamond: :club: :spade:

:f_ugly: FiShTaStIc :f_ugly:

hi i'm Dr Dunne, im from the UK and this is my blog :D it is very fishtastic. if you jump to the bottom of page 17 that is where my real blog starts. up until then i have just used it as a place to post a few boring things and fight my way out of nl2. so i will be updating with some interesting hands and stuff from then onwards. :f_eek:

A LITTLE ABOUT ME
      love poker, play guitar - starting to get into fingerstyle acoustic but also play classical and rock (but rock gets boring :D ), i like drawing, my favourite drink is double JD+coke (must be double or it doesn't count). i've just finished my degree in psychology and now im unemployed and dont know what to do - living at home with my peeps.

MY POKER
      i started to play poker when i was 16 - going to friends house and getting some drinks and cheesy nachos and just having a laugh. regged up the play money tables on party like a boss but never seriously. started trying properly just over a year ago but realised i was a right fish :f_cry: so i was brutally honest with myself and told myself i was actually really bad. so i came running back to pokerstrategy! took my game right back to basics and started reading all articles for MSS and eventually became an MSS-bot. wanted to play BSS soon so i started making some notes and really trying to beat nl2....

i finally managed to beat nl2 this time last summer then moved to nl4 on party and got owned but battled through and FINALLY got to nl10 by christmas - this was all fullring. however, went over to northern ireland with my best mate and cashed out my bankroll for drinks :facepalm: but oh well at least poker allowed me to enjoy my time over there better! came back home and after i got my student loan installment i put aside £80 to save for poker. then got my final installment and did the same again. this then stayed sat in my draw until late june then i deposited $150 on party. more about this later in the blog!

in the meantime i was playing around on my pokerstars accnt with my mate and decided to have a race - deposit $10 and first person to turn it to $100 buys the other a meal. well he went bust but $1 remained in my account which i soon forgot about. while working on an essay one day i stumbled across it and in my excited state i played a HUSnG - success. then moved onto MSS and finally to BSS when i had about $25. now i have $200 so i guess i owe him a meal but sshh :)

not really much else to say!

:heart: :diamond: :club: :spade:
  • 546 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hello Lewis :)

Welcome to our blog section!

Looking forward following your blog!

3rd year of psychology at uni
      ^^ hopefully you'll post about this topic as well! :heart:

Ingrid
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey ingrid thanks!

i sure will if anything interesting happens :)

i guess i'll make this my first normal entry...
      today i have been making notes on the strategy articles in beginner and in bronze section. pretty much done with that all and i will be making a start on the silver articles soon enough.... gunna treat it like revision, but with this i'm much more motivated lol
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Sounds cool!

I don't believe there's nothing interesting going on in those psycho lessons ;)

Don't forget you can use colors, different font size, graphs, pictures, screen shots etc...

Let me know if you have any question.
      Ingi
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      haha i think most of the time the only interesting thing is the ratio of females to males. it's like 200:10!

in fact, i would like to put my blog as my signature, so how do i do that?
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      I've changed it for you, can you check if you like it?

You can add color, different size etc...

- click on my profile here
      - edit signatures here

Ingi :)
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      thanks ingriiiid :D i'll have a play around with it
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      thanks ingriiiid :D i'll have a play around with it
      :D make it pink imo :D
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      fiiine only because you helped me out. but its not staying like it! i'll change it when i move up to 5NL lol
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      fiiine only because you helped me out. but its not staying like it! i'll change it when i move up to 5NL lol
      haha awesome! :heart:

no, but really change it to a color you like it to be!

I was just joking obv :D
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      its cool it can be my incentive to get my act together and play better!
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Hi Lewis

looking forward to reading your blog. Psychology plays such a big part of the poker game.

good luck at the tables

;)

Thazar
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey thazar thanks for the luck lol. it definitely does, but it's a little unfortunate since almost everything we learn on the course cannot really be applied to poker... unless we are talking about pathological gambling haha. having said that i noticed a few of the cognitive neuropsychology articles for the more advanced members and that happens to be one of the modules i will be doing next term :D

this is my favourite hand today...

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      UTG2:
      $1.97
      Hero:
      $3.56

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:heart: , J:diamond:
      UTG2 calls $0.02, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.10, 3 folds, UTG2 calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.23) J:spade: , 5:heart: , 5:club: (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.23) K:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG2 bets $0.11, Hero calls $0.11.

River: ($0.45) 9:spade: (2 players)
      UTG2 bets $0.38, Hero raises to $1.76, UTG2 calls $1.76 (All-In).

Final Pot: $3.97

Results follow (highlight to see):
      UTG2 shows four-of-a-kind, fives (5s 5d)
      Hero shows (Jh Jd)

UTG2 wins with four-of-a-kind, fives (5s 5d)

okay now i know the check on the flop may seem bad but initially i didnt even realise i flopped the full house, i only saw it as a set. and i decided to check because lots of people like to take a stab on boards like that so i thought he may try it... i wasn't even pissed off by this hand! i thought it was pretty funny how i went through the whole hand thinking about how i had this guy crushed when i was SO wrong. :D
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      up 1 buy in yesterday and down 3 buy ins today GRR. this contributed to it :rolleyes:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2
      UTG1:
      $1.11
      CO:
      $7.31

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:heart: , K:club:
      UTG1 calls $0.02, 4 folds, CO raises to $0.06, BU folds, Hero raises to $0.20, BB folds, UTG1 calls $0.18, CO calls $0.14.

Flop: ($0.62) 9:heart: , 6:spade: , 5:heart: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.44, UTG1 calls $0.44, CO calls $0.44.

Turn: ($1.94) 9:club: (3 players)
      Hero bets $1.36 (All-In), UTG1 calls $0.47 (All-In), CO calls $1.36.

River: ($5.13) 2:diamond: (3 players)

Final Pot: $5.13

UTG1 shows (8h 8d)
      CO shows three-of-a-kind, nines (Jh 9d)
      Hero shows (Kh Kc)

CO wins with three-of-a-kind, nines (Jh 9d)

maybe i should have given up on the turn but meh. i swear building up feels so impossible! back to reading for the most of today i guess..
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      my hand for today:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $1.56
      Hero:
      $2.03
      MP1:
      $2.18
      CO:
      $2.03

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:diamond: , 9:club:
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0.02, 2 folds, CO calls $0.02, BU folds, SB calls $0.01, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.08) A:heart: , J:spade: , 9:spade: (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.06, MP1 folds, CO raises to $0.26, SB folds, Hero calls $0.20.

Turn: ($0.60) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.57, Hero raises to $1.75 (All-In), CO calls $1.18 (All-In).

River: ($4.10) T:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.10

CO shows two-pair, aces and jacks (Ad Jh)
      Hero shows (Jd 9c)

CO wins with two-pair, aces and jacks (Ad Jh)

progress since yesterday: made back what i lost, only to lose $10 today at the usual 2nl. seems i have a long way to go yet :f_eek: starting to get quite bored of slowly gliding down to busto over days and days of play... hello strategy articles.
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Hi there!

Just stumbled across this..

Surely as a psych major you should have plenty advantage at the tables against non-mass multitablers.

And possibly some better ways to adapt to tilt that we'd sure love to hear about, with deeper insight come better solutions. :)

Keep up the hard work on a journey through the stakes though!

Regards,
      Richard
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey hows it going?

Dont let the beats get you down mate it happens to us all keep studying and learning you will soon be turning it round to a profit :)

You say you been playing guitar for 8 years? nice i used to play quite a bit havent done for a while though what guitar(s) do you have?

You get stuck with anything let me know il help out where i can :) good luck hope to see you running good soon

Carl
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey richard thanks for the luck. psychology is really different to what lots of people expect it to be like i couldn't really apply anything i've learnt to poker. an example of the stuff we learn would be how the nerve impulse actually works, our biological rhythms like the sleep/wake cycle, human memory, attention and lots about mental disorders etc. nothing really about normal behaviour and the likes. i guess some of it is applicable i.e. attention, judgement and decision making and problem solving but it would be a push to apply it thoroughly to poker.

next term one of my modules is stress and coping so hopefully it will be bye bye tilt! :D as of yet X( i'll post some stuff when im back into the swing of uni tho.. im sure i can come up with something of interest :)

hi carl - other than the bankroll it's going good lol. im reading and playing every day since it's pretty much all i got to do for the summer. about the guitars... i have a crappy £30 classical guitar from ebay which i bought about 6 years ago (i lied i've actually been playing for 12 years - since i was 8 lol). i decided to start learning classical guitar when i was 14 but other than that i have a jackson ke2 kelly which is my most treasured :D got rid of my 2 older electrics so i could scrape the money together for that lol.

if you were offering to help out with my poker problem then i would very much appreciate someone more experienced to talk to! anything to get me making profit cos over the last 10,000 hands my win rate is -... i refuse to even post the number it's embarrassing lol
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      im a bit of a fish when it comes to poker mate, i can tell you that the articles, starting hand charts, videos, coachings, hand eval forums should all definately be used if you want to make a profit soo much stuff for you to learn from all of these i just dont use them as much as i should so im probably not qualified (yet) to answer questions on your specific game.

I had a gibson SG but sold it to a friend of mine who can play it much better and is in a band so it gets used how it was supposed to be used instead of me in my bedroom with my practise amp :D

You mentioned human memory i have a small side interest in this been trying to develop mine as much as possible makes for some cool party tricks.

Keep the updates coming
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      ah sweet me too i love memory. i go through various phases of interests like one month i might be obsessed with a small topic within my course, the next month i'll be obsessed with poker, the next month it will be guitar and the next month it would be developing my memory (that's separate from the course cos we don't actually learn about developing memory, it's just about the nature of memory and the history of research etc - pretty dry). poker has quickly become a constant obsession :P