[NL20-NL50] [NL 25 SH] Fives missing value?

• DoigteurFou
      Known players:

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.96 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with 5:heart: , 5:spade:
      MP2 raises to $1,00, MP3 folds, Hero calls $1,00, BU calls $1,00, 2 folds.

Flop: ($3,35) 8:club: , 6:heart: , 5:diamond: (3 players)
      MP2 bets $2,34, Hero calls $2,34, BU folds.

Turn: ($8,03) 5:club: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $5,62, Hero calls $5,62.

River: ($19,27) 4:heart: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero raises $17,24 (All-In), MP2 calls $17,24.

Final Pot: $53,75

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP2 shows (Kh Ks)
      Hero shows carré, fives (5h 5s)

Hero wins with carré, fives (5h 5s)

Preflop is standard i guess. However after that I don't like my overall line, I'll explain why I played that way, but please make any comment about other better or at least possible lines :)

Standard dream flop for a pp in position. The guy cbets 75%+, so I decided a raise was out of the question since I would scare away broadways and sometimes overpairs. However I now don't like my call because a lot of cards may kill the action. I don't really know here. I decided to call to let him 2nd barrel bluff OOP, 2nd barrel for value w/ overpairs, or let him hit his facecard with his broadway.

I don't like the turn card, except it now makes my hand stronger than 99 and 88. A five is definitively in my preflop and flop calling range with a lot of SC (I think he knows that since we have a good amount of hands together). Here again I don't like my call since a call, call, raise line shows a lot of strengh to value on an overpair (because this is the only category of hands I can value against). However I did not like the raise here because the five is extremely present in my range, and I don't want to scare him, nor prevent him from 3rd barrel.

The river card is an action killer (at least I though so at that time). I had no real clue about how to extract value here as he checks. I though that a "small" bet (between 1/3 and 2/3pot) was showing too much strengh as I will often do so with a five, seven, or a fullhouse/quads to let him call. I couldn't see him call an obvious valuebet with his hand. I decided to potsize allin here to increase the amount of bluffs he will perceive in my range.

I think he made quite an ugly call here, and consider the hand as if he had fold (so I missed value). I'm really wondering how I could have extracted more value here. Maybe shoving "potsize style" on the turn for maximum aggression into his good made hand?

He perceive me as a very aggressive player, depending on his degree of objectiveness to him I am either a LAG or a lucky maniac, that's also why I chose the allin river.
  • 2 replies
    • Kaitz20
      seems standard play your part and also his part.
      Since it is 3-way I like playing it passively, since on that board you´re not really raising anything for semibluff, so i think you also have to flat with set.
      Turn is easy call and river is easy shove.
      I also like his c/c river, since you can always have there some kind of draw and he would only loose to straights or boats that are more rare than some draws or maybe you´re going thin shove with QQ/JJ since he checked river
    • DoigteurFou
      You're right, his call was not that ugly.
      I have a note to delete, and to replace with something else :D