[NL2-NL10] nl2 - Overtight Fold?

• Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Think I may have been too tight here with the fold. It was a marginal choice between shoving & folding.

The raise was a little scary, and at the time I felt he could have a better kicker with an Ace too often given his check raise line.

However, a quick look back at his starts (which were largely unknown at the time) suggests he is fairly aggressive so may potentially raise worse hands?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP2:
      $2
      Hero:
      $1.92

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:spade: , 8:spade: . MP2 posts a blind of $0.02.
      2 folds, MP2 checks, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.09, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.07.

Flop: ($0.21) A:heart: , A:diamond: , 6:heart: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.13, MP2 raises to $0.60, Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.47
  • 5 replies
    • Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      He has posted in MP2 which suggests he's just a generally loose and probably bad player. He has also checked his post and then called a raise.

To fold here you are relying on him having a full house (of which there are only 6 combos) or the Case Ace and a better kicker which he hasn't raised from the post. I don't imagine he is checking AT in this spot after posting, So specifically A9 in my opinion.

He can easily have a ton of pocket pairs, worse Ax hands, and a flush draws. He might also think that you wouldnt C-bet with Ax in this situation because your hand is so strong.

I would never fold in this spot. Raising him again basically announces that you have an ace, so I might consider flatting to allow him to continue betting with pocket pairs/draws/bluffs. I will be raising any non-heart turn for sure though. Not sure what I do if a heart comes.

Looking forward to see what Veriz thinks.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Philfox1985,

Don't understand you. You folding with your nuts against pretty aggressive loose/maniac player but you are going broke with your 55 on very dumb board where you don't have much. :(

He never has here nuts. If he really had here nuts then he would play it more passively. Might easily have a lot of PPs himself/pairs/semi-bluffs and course even some Ax hands. But I'd be still very inclined to continue here. Therefore, I'd Call and let him even continue with some bluffs.

Best regards.
    • giliNL
      giliNL
      Bronze
      Not that I disagree with the general sentiment here, but I don't think a player that's 22/3 with an AF of 4.0 can be titled a loose maniac.

posting the 0.02 blind does make it less likely that he's any good, and a lot more likely that he limped in with any hand, but it doesn't completely exclude a good hand either, since bad players don't 3bet and so he'd likely just call with AK/AQ/AT. Still, it's very unlikely and like Veriz says, if he did flop a set of aces he'd prob be less aggressive.

But even if he does have you beat now, you've got two cards to either pair the board or pair your kicker for a full house, and if he has AT or AQ he doesn't know if you don't have AK..

I'm curious btw why there are 6 combos of a full house? He's either got A6 or 66 for the FH.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      I think that would be the various suits of those same two hands:

Ac6d
      Ac6c
      Ac6s

6c6d
      6c6s
      6d6s

Looking back at the hand, I would have played it differently. I HATE to get check re-raised, I have lost count of the number of times my opponent had the nuts.

However, as correctly pointed out, the chances are that he doesn't have a credible hand that he could be beating me with here.
    • Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by giliNL
      Not that I disagree with the general sentiment here, but I don't think a player that's 22/3 with an AF of 4.0 can be titled a loose maniac.

posting the 0.02 blind does make it less likely that he's any good, and a lot more likely that he limped in with any hand, but it doesn't completely exclude a good hand either, since bad players don't 3bet and so he'd likely just call with AK/AQ/AT. Still, it's very unlikely and like Veriz says, if he did flop a set of aces he'd prob be less aggressive.

But even if he does have you beat now, you've got two cards to either pair the board or pair your kicker for a full house, and if he has AT or AQ he doesn't know if you don't have AK..

I'm curious btw why there are 6 combos of a full house? He's either got A6 or 66 for the FH.
      He hasn't limp called. He has posted in mid position which he has checked so that he can be dealt in. So his range is much wider than a limp call.

There are 3 combinations of A6 (one ace and three 6s) and 3 combinations of 66.

I also dont think he ever plays the nuts or effective nuts this way.