what am i doing wrong?

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      ok i decided i would post my stats up here for someone to hopefully look at and tell me where i'm going wrong at 2NL because i'm just going backwards and forwards between $47 and $62 and have been for the last 2 weeks since i properly started with BSS. these are my preflop stats:
      [img][IMG]https://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7223/stats1t.jpg[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

and these are my postflop stats:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i know it's only over like 10,000 hands but i would really appreciate it if someone could have a look. i can post a graph... but it just looks like a very shallow 'U' shape and it's just gone back down. i decided i would delete my old database because it was an accumulation of when i was playing even worse and when i was playing MSS and i wanted to start fresh with BSS. i also tried BSS before this 10,000 hand sample but it was pretty much a similar story, so i went back to the beginning of the articles and deleted the database because i wanted it fresh. the problem is it is just happening again. my win rate is currently -9.48! so sample sizes aside... i'm doing something terribly wrong and could really do with some feedback.
  • 13 replies
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      sorry about the stats being really small, i've never uploaded anything before so i didn't know it would turn out like that.
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      hard to really deduce much of anything from stats alone. seems like youre playing overly nitty but thats probably a product of being relatively inexperienced and uncomfortable in a lot of spots.

post hands that youre unsure of, and there should be a lot of them if you're struggling at this limit.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      well a lot of the time i don't necessarily feel uncomfortable, the main thing i've noticed is i raise for value preflop and get called, then i miss and make a c-bet when necessary and i end up having to give up either because i'm called or i get raised. i won't complain about the suckouts, but it is mostly me losing small pots when i miss the flop. so i'm waiting around for the hands, then when i get one i play it as best i can but i miss the flop too much and have to let it go meaning i lose between 4BB and 11BB each time this happens. so over 1000 hands i end up down at least a buy in from just that... how can i play less nitty when i'm just following the articles on here?
    • novelsound
      novelsound
      Bronze
      Where do you play nl2 ?

You've already answered your own question.

what am i doing wrong?

i'm just following the articles on here?

Articles here contain some useful info but u have to find your own way to success. Experiment - observe results - adjust your play. A good aspect of the game to start experimenting is value betting. Value bet more marginal spots, try different bet sizes see what happens and compare it to what you did before and so on. GL
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hmm... thanks. i think i've been too obsessed with ingraining the information from the articles in my mind
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by wasy8
      seems like youre playing overly nitty
      thanks for getting me thinking about this - i adjusted slightly and seem to be doing well now :)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I have a suggestion and it may be relevant to others as well.

Quote; 'What am I doing wrong?' unquote. :)

A little, not very exciting, story.
      I was a [pretty good] snooker player and practicing a certain shot on my own one day. Terry Griffiths (1979 World Champion and a friend) was watching me (I hadn't noticed him behind me) as I missed one of these shots. So, I was stood there contemplating what I had done wrong and he asked me; 'What are you doing?' I replied that I was thinking about what went wrong and why.

He gave me an almighty hard slap round the head and said: 'What the F**k do you want to remember what went wrong for you tw*t, remember what you did right and do it again!' Fu**in' Jeeze, you people!

I've never forgotten that. Lol.

GL. :)
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      lol the guy sounds like a psycho. but he has a good point! maybe we all need a slap once in a while :D
    • yougotfelted51
      yougotfelted51
      Bronze
      since you're playing NL2 there is really no
      need to balance your range whatsoever.
      almost all players think Level 1, which means
      they only ever consider their own cards.
      cbet when you have a strong hand, and
      just check fold the majority of the time when
      you miss. that should help your winrate
    • AKM247
      AKM247
      Bronze
      Originally posted by yougotfelted51
      since you're playing NL2 there is really no
      need to balance your range whatsoever.
      almost all players think Level 1, which means
      they only ever consider their own cards.
      cbet when you have a strong hand, and
      just check fold the majority of the time when
      you miss. that should help your winrate
      +1 Lost a nice chunk trying to over complicated things at the micros. ABC Poker is suffice.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      'A' is good, 'B' is plenty and don't bother with 'C' until at least nl10
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      You're asking the wrong question..

What are you doing right?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      not exactly sure what i'm doing right atm but i'm being paid off with complete shit and have been for the last 4 days and doubled my br so i'm pretty sure i've got the hang of it now :D don't really know why i found it so difficult before...

been playing ABC and sitting down with the intention to play properly not to make money... been selecting tables with high average pots and high ppf, started to really value bet tptk without being too scared of dominating hands... trying to find any reason to fold when OOP but i think most of all something i'm doing differently now is folding when i really feel i'm beaten. like when i have tptk and the guy reraises a lot. i'm making most of the money now with TPTK, sets, nut straights, nut flushes and boats. for some reason i don't seem to be getting that many top2 pair tho... i'm picking up lots of small pots with cbets and i occasionally float and steal on the turn or even just 3bet on the flop if the guy is nitty and i think he's missed.. i read you shouldn't do that at this stake but i seem to be picking the right spots for it.

anyways im hoping its not just me running good, the sample size is not ideal at all but i feel like im playing much better