Video Discussion - Very Dirty Tricks

• DanielUK
      DanielUK
      Bronze
      Angle shooting usually pushes the boundaries of fair play and in many cases can be seen as cheating. In this instance it really leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

Eventual 2011 EPT Grand Final Madrid winner, Ivan Freitez, gets very creative with his understanding of English to extract chips from his opponent on the final table bubble.

The trick

He measures out chips for a call on the river and then announces 'raise' as he puts these chips in the middle. He then sits there looking gormless before he 'panics', claiming he meant 'call' because "no speak English".

All this with a full house, making it look like he didn't want to raise so he'll get a call out of his opponent.

Opponent warned of angle shoot

This was the third time he had employed this tactic during the tournament. Interestingly, the Tournament Director, Thomas Kremser, says to Freitez:

"I think this is exactly the same situation we have had already in this tournament, you did exactly the same move when you had the nuts", before turning to his opponent, Eugene Yanayt, and announcing: "I shall share this information with you"

Check out this dirty trick and tell us what you think here.

• 29 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Shouldn't there be punishment for this kind of action? Such an obvious angle shoot given his hand.

I wonder if tourney director has the power to make him sit out for a round or perhaps worse. Then again, perhaps he doesn't have that power because it is "not covered in the rule-book".

Like the victim said, it's a tell, and exploitable. He is not going to gain a long term advantage doing this, especially with the tourney director there to point out he has a history of doing this with the nuts. Once people realise he is capable of shooting that angle it just becomes a levelling war.

It's not so much the physical process of the cheating that is upsetting, but the poor sportsmanship, bad attitude, and the intention of gaining chips by an underhanded practice.
    • Daftpunk007
      Daftpunk007
      Bronze
      :s_o: :s_o: :s_o: :s_o:

Wow Just wow!

I like Thomas Kremser he handled this really well but I think for something as blatant as this after he turns over the nuts he should get a penalty too.

This guy just needs a smack in the mouth and if he keeps pulling stunts like that it won't take too long to happen.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Next hand A :spade: 8 :club:
    • DukeXIII
      DukeXIII
      Bronze
      I think he should be shot in the head and then hanged for a week in the center of the square for example to what happens when you are stupid.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DukeXIII
      I think he should be shot in the head and then hanged for a week in the center of the square for example to what happens when you are stupid.
      ain't you a bit extreme ;)
    • BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      Old cash trick from an old perverted geezer :s_biggrin:
    • TheCozlol
      TheCozlol
      Bronze
      3 times he's done this trick and yet he has no punishment for it?

Darvin moon forgot to raise the nuts in the WSOP and got a 1 hand penalty. This guy is stealing chips and generally transforming poker back to the old 'the dirtiest trickster wins the pot' type of game that it has been trying to get out of.

He should be disqualified as if it was on the same ground as collusion.
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Well, it iseem pretty easy for the opponents to exploit him from now then.

This is more then a tell and should help players to play against him. :)
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Personally I don't have any objections for using these kind of moves before showdown though I haven't used that myself. If he announce raise he has to raise and thats it. Restricting his raise size is just unnecessary and telling he has done this before with nuts is even more so. He give information for his opponent as he could by speaking something or giving false body tells etc...

Also this hand is not nuts. It's close to nuts, but what if Yanayt would have put big 3bet there after hearing he has done this to induce action? Nice leveling spots imo.

So as conclusion I see director giving information during hand more questionable than use of that move.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      What an asshole
    • livelydolphin
      livelydolphin
      Bronze
      Are you serious?!! Why don't you try this 'trick' and let me know how it will turn out for you
    • DukeXIII
      DukeXIII
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      Originally posted by DukeXIII
      ain't you a bit extreme ;)
      you think so...? :) Now that I m thinking this again .. maybe you re right mate.

aah nevermind.. Just hang him and let the crows eat his eyes..
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Think Kremser should have forced Freitez to turn his cards over then given Yanayt the option whether to call/fold or raise :)

Suspect that would be the last time he tried it!

But kinda silly of Yanayt to call having been almost 'told' by Kremser the other guy has the nuts.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      why does he call though? he has got all info to fold and he still call. :f_mad:

I think the other guy should get penalized for the rest of the tournament or some other type of penalty
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      why does he call though? he has got all info to fold and he still call. :f_mad:

I think the other guy should get penalized for the rest of the tournament or some other type of penalty
      Curiosity/Its only a min raise in the end?

I saw this last nite and was angry when he won after this dirty trick, saying "no speak english" as his excuse, but a few hands earlier he was joining in the banter at the table, appaling. Also didnt think he played that well, he just won near enough EVERY flip.
    • xJCzZ
      xJCzZ
      Bronze
      I think he calls to make him show his hand perhaps and prove that he is a prick!
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xJCzZ
      I think he calls to make him show his hand perhaps and prove that he is a prick!
      Yeah that's exactly what I thought. What a douche.

I agree that it is a tell but I guess it doesn't really matter when you bink 1.5 million euros
    • BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      I find it amusing that people think this is cheating. After all poker is a game of lies and stealing people's money.
    • Andyuk18
      Andyuk18
      Bronze
      That's just plain dirty and pathetic! This guy is lucky there are cameras around.