Windows 7

• GMC989898
      GMC989898
      Silver
      I have different problem. When I first time installed elephant everithing was ok, but later elephant didin't save my hand history, so I decided uninstall PostgreSQL 8.3. and install it again so i could create new database. But things go wrong, i couldnt uninstall it coretly, i have windows 7. When I tryed install it back, again something go wrong, and now when I open elephant , some errors shows up:

1. Connection to database Not succesful! Please ensure that PostgreSQL is running and your settings are correct.

2.Database error:Failed to estabilish a connectionto 'localhost'.

Can someone help me out?
  • 4 replies
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      Hey GMC989898,

pls open up control panel -> administrative tools -> services. Search for the postgreSQL database service and start it if it's not started automatically.

You can also set the option to start automatically with windows.

Please get back to me with feedback.
    • cpers
      cpers
      Bronze
      Just want to add some info on this so no need to solve my problem.

I got this same issue when I tried to install postgress 9.0 the server won't start,
      but when I reinstall 8.3 the server works just fine.(XP32)

One more thing I don't know wether it's related or not
      but on this very same machine, I can't use the COPY TO command from pgADMIN(postgres 8.3) it says permission denied.
      It's as if the server doesn't have an superuser privilege.

Who knows this might be the cause of it since the problem above are either server related or just wrong password/username.

Hope this info is useful.

FYI, It works ok on my (XP64) machine(postgres 9.0 and elephant)
    • exwhyzee
      exwhyzee
      Bronze
      when uninstalling the older sql, you have to delete manually all remaining files and folders, The most important is that sql creates for you your user profile in C:, Users, there is a folder called "postgres" or whatever name you have chosen while instaling your sql. You need to manually delete the profile before installing a new version
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      Originally posted by exwhyzee
      when uninstalling the older sql, you have to delete manually all remaining files and folders, The most important is that sql creates for you your user profile in C:, Users, there is a folder called "postgres" or whatever name you have chosen while instaling your sql. You need to manually delete the profile before installing a new version
      Correct. See:
      Deinstalling PostgreSQL correctly