Man loses 1 million pounds in online poker addiction

• jacknash98
      jacknash98
      Bronze
      [edited by thazar]

just type man loses 1 million in google for the full details of this loss.

I personally find online poker a bit shady as compared to live. Maybe 96% of the games are not rigged in my opinion but i do believe there are decision makers at the top most level of a few poker networks that can determine the outcome of targeted hands with their "random number generators". Bots, or one person filling up 8 off 9 seats in a table using his set up in a room with many computers that a friend of mine has seen being used on pokerstars with that person winning thousands of dollars a day, or house players at some of the smaller sites its not all rosy.

People active in chat sessions of poker rooms, or other people for whatever reasons can be targeted in online poker. I read a detailed article of a guy who claimed he ran bad on poker stars because of being active on chat there discussing politics etc.

Anyways for most of the people on cardschat that make a few bucks playing freerolls or micros theres little risk, but for people who get gripped in chasing their losses and targeted by the sites, it destroys lives.

There will always be winners and losers in poker, the question is if pokerstars can pay bribes to banks and do money laundering in the usa and be banned from the USA for all kinds of shady law breaking crimes, what makes u believe they wont go ahead to make an extra buck off you by doing things that suit them?

Id never play high stakes poker online, ever, never have in the past either. Even playing it live no matter how good u are, the nosebleeds can make u or break you.
  • 148 replies
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      lol it would be nice to have the roll to lose a mirrion!!! :P
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved.

Better to have a million and lose it than never to have had a million. :s_biggrin:
    • BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      I don't get it :D who lost the million?
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BadeaCelRau
      I don't get it :D who lost the million?
      A man
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Originally posted by jacknash98
      There will always be winners and losers in poker, the question is if pokerstars can pay bribes to banks and do money laundering in the usa and be banned from the USA for all kinds of shady law breaking crimes, what makes u believe they wont go ahead to make an extra buck off you by doing things that suit them?
      Because of the fact that a company that big who has secrets -that- big it's bound to explode, sooner or later. Just like Black Friday something like you claim would be possible for awhile, but it's a matter of time before something like that gets discovered which would, without a doubt, mean the end of Pokerstars. They make so much from rake alone I doubt they'd be doing something that risky, even though what they did to cause Black Friday was pretty shady too. No capital in the world would save them from being fked if it came out that they we're cheating players.
    • jacknash98
      jacknash98
      Bronze
      Guthans consider the $3 billion fine the US govt. put on them for money laundering, criminal offences and all kinds of shady deals to make more $. Why wouldnt they tweak their system to suit them? The truth is already out there, the fact is we lovers of poker have nowhere else to go, so we use what is available. 96% of it is not rigged in my opinion. People DO get targeted and people DO get screwed in many instances like this man who was driven deeper and deeper to suck more and more out of him. Its maximising profits that is their first priority.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Whenever someone tries to raise the question wether online games might be rigged there's a storm of stupid replies about what a fish he is and he doesn't understand variance.

After UB and black friday i don't see why it's so controversial to believe some sites are rigged in some way.
    • jacknash98
      jacknash98
      Bronze
      ihufa a fish is somebody that puts money on sites that do money laundering, bribe banks and government officials to make $ but dont tweak their OWN household system to make $, THEIR OWN SYSTEMS ARE 100% SACRED and GOD MADE. That would be you so go ahead and play with your money there, mine is in the bank, i never even played high stakes poker, so it doesnt make me any difference at all.

go ahead and hold on to the belief that its 100% sacred while you run good.
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Gah, honestly I see people whining about rigg as a fking joke. Variance in poker is brutal, live or online. Didn't you guys see the thread on Pokerstrategy with the topic "Is onlinepoker rigged?", if not I'll find it for you and link it. This story about the guy who "was driven deeper and deeper" sounds just like someone who had an gambling addiction and tilted everything he ever earned off. It isn't exactly unheard of before, now is it?

Conclusion: Rigged sites is a bad excuse to handle variance imo.
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      i never even played high stakes poker

you can't anyway...*

*can't win at least**

**over a large sample,that is
    • jacknash98
      jacknash98
      Bronze
      well the idea of this post is not to debate whether sites that do money laundering, bribe banks, and are under criminal prosecution provide 100% sacred games or not.

The idea is that those that are getting sucked in wake up and learn a lesson or two from this man whose life has been destroyed losing a million pounds ( obviously he had the skill to earn a million pounds before losing it on a game of skill.
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      well the idea of this post is not to debate whether sites that do money laundering, bribe banks, and are under criminal prosecution provide 100% sacred games or not.

The idea is that those that are getting sucked in wake up and learn a lesson or two from this man whose life has been destroyed losing a million pounds ( obviously he had the skill to earn a million pounds before losing it on a game of skill.
      Who says he earned it on Poker?

Oh and by the way, Isildur1 a.k.a Viktor Blom earned 4 million then lost it. He ran like 3mirrions under EV, yet he never blamed rigg, I wonder if that's because he understands variance :f_confused:
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      noone
    • jacknash98
      jacknash98
      Bronze
      he had liquid assets ability of 1 million pounds plus, he had some basic intelligence which he applied to online poker and it didnt work out for him consistently, over a large sample size. He didnt just throw it away, if u read the article, he was trying his BEST to earn some back and the cards didnt fall his way over a large sample size a couple of years maybe he just got sucked out on, till all his money was drained, and if a few people who read this dont end up like him this post would have been worth bringing awareness to people on this game of skill.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      This thread is the very proof of pokerstrategy community being so tolerant. Epic stuff :f_p:
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      dude,do you even hear yourself talking? bribe a bank? banks have a capital of billions USD,they shit million dollars every day.

they wont geopardize they reputation with some pokersite.i think a suitable bribe for a bank would be the equivalent of a billion raked hands at NL200 ( psst! -EV )

money laundering?sure!but what does money laundering have to do with rigging a game?do you know how a money laundering system works?

the criminal prosecution against FTP,PS and AP is that they are accepting players form US,which jurisdiction forbids online gambling,not that they are rigging the site.

and anyone who loses 1 mil in highstakes is either: -good player on a uber downswing + tilt + good opponent who exploits the last two

-a rich guy who is looking for adrenaline rush

-a guy with no bankroll management
    • jacknash98
      jacknash98
      Bronze
      ill tell you about isildur, in my opinion anybody that plays nosebleeds on online poker, is actually not a very intelligent person, thats just my opinion. The variance and swings are huge and its suitable only to billionaires. Gus hansen has made millions live, but lost millions online, its not the kind of life i want to lead.

And again, the debate is not whether the sites are sacred but as to whether people who are walking down the same path as this man, to maybe cut their losses and try other means to earn money.
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      he had liquid assets ability of 1 million pounds plus, he had some basic intelligence which he applied to online poker and it didnt work out for him consistently, over a large sample size. He didnt just throw it away, if u read the article, he was trying his BEST to earn some back and the cards didnt fall his way over a large sample size a couple of years maybe he just got sucked out on, till all his money was drained, and if a few people who read this dont end up like him this post would have been worth bringing awareness to people on this game of skill.
      Thing is, to play stakes where you can lose a million you need more then basic intelligence, obviously or everybody with that would be making a killing in poker.
      Also, the mentality "trying to win back" is the classic recipe to losing big.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying that you shouldn't have posted this or anything, forums are made for discussion, and that's what we're doing here, right?

I just don't agree that one guy being unlucky over a large sample(how large by the way, I mean I can play 2 years and still only play 100k hands) is enough evidence to go and say that 4% give or take of the online poker scene is rigged.

And by the way, interesting would be if he had been using a HUD and tracked his EV, but I guess he didn't since I'm not seeing a graph.
    • jacknash98
      jacknash98
      Bronze
      Originally posted by furculision
      dude,do you even hear yourself talking? bribe a bank? banks have a capital of billions USD,they shit million dollars every day.

they wont geopardize they reputation with some pokersite.i think a suitable bribe for a bank would be the equivalent of a billion raked hands at NL200 ( psst! -EV )

money laundering?sure!but what does money laundering have to do with rigging a game?do you know how a money laundering system works?

the criminal prosecution against FTP,PS and AP is that they are accepting players form US,which jurisdiction forbids online gambling,not that they are rigging the site.

and anyone who loses 1 mil in highstakes is either: -good player on a uber downswing + tilt + good opponent who exploits the last two

-a rich guy who is looking for adrenaline rush

-a guy with no bankroll management
      Dude, hello, wake up...

PokerStars sought to get around the legislative ban by bribing small-time banks to trick payment processors like Visa and MasterCard, allowing Americans to keep on gambling, the FBI alleges.

Contact the FBI if u think they did not bribe. Go ahead and continue wagering dollars with such sites, and this one is the biggest, i dont want to discuss the rest, if a few people get helped with awareness and education to play within their limits this thread would have done its job.