[NL2-NL10] AK live vs tight player

• elhh82
      1/2/2 blind game (1 on BU, 2 on SB and BB), 2bb to limp

EP (tight player) 70bb
      MP (calling station flats) 40bb
      Me in LP 160bb

EP minraise to 4bb, MP flat, I squeeze AK to 14bb, EP 4-bets to 28bb (he has never 3-bet, let alone 4-bet), MP folds, I call

Flop K x x rainbow EP shoves, I call

1. was the 3-bet too small?
      2. Would 5-bet get it in pre be better than calling and stacking off if I hit an ace or king?

I guess he almost always has a monster here, AA/KK, at worst QQ. Can I find any reason to call here?
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello elhh82,

Preflop: First of all he is 4betting and usually if such a tight opponent does such a 4bet then it's often times up to a very strong hand. Myself without seeing the table dynamics or even not have much information on the opponent I'd put him on KK+ rather than come weak hand. At the best we might see QQ here and against that we getting a flip anyways. Therefore it's either a shove and get it in or just fold the hand. Not a huge fan of calling since we can't be sure that we play with such a play profitable and even if we hit our K or A we will never know where we stand against his range.

As played
      Postflop: Nothing much really to add as you went for a Call preflop, I guess there can't be much better that you could hit. Of course A would be better since we could kill KK as well now but for the given odds I don't think I would fold.

1. was the 3-bet too small?

Wouldn't say that it's way too small and off while the opponents don't have big stacks anyways. But the higher you do the more you commit yourself. Just keep in mind that you should do the same with all your hands not just AK a bit smaller and AA a lot higher.

Also the other 2 question have been answered in above sentences.

Best regards.