having trouble in 1/2c, rough patch and pre flop raises

• sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      I thought i had 1/2c and 2/4c nl figured out, was trapping people, hitting my hand, and betting right, and also folding trouble. Yesterday i had an upswing hit draws on many hands and hit many hands, that i made a good profit off of. Today its the opposite, not hitting much and not getting called much.

Getting pre flop raised a lot, and then if i do call i never hit anything as of now, i'd say rough patch today, lost 4 dollars or so. Because of this rough patch i am also scared to raise pre flop lol.

Anyway, so how to combat not hitting anything while getting raised pre flop on almost every hand/ every two decent cards you get like KJ, also how to induce more bets when the opponent seems reluctant?
  • 16 replies
    • yougotfelted51
      yougotfelted51
      Bronze
      -play in position
      -limp call small pps if you know you will get raised, set mine
      -raise big with your big hands, there is no need to balance
      -bet bet bet tpgk hands vs players
      -dont bluff often

that should be enough to get you through the micros :s_biggrin:
    • sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      just lost with a full house 9's full of aces, to a guy with 10's full of 9's, he had pocket 10's. Man i didnt not see that coming, this has happend a few times today, now i've lost 6 dollars today. Unbelievable i am getting totally f**ked in the ass.

whats tpgk hands? set mine?

oh top pair good kicker.

oh set mining, ok....well i try that but i get raised often i dont feel i make a profit if i keep calling raises on top of the post flop bets they keep putting, because you rarely hit trips on flop.
    • sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      man i was winning so dominantly yesterday and day before that. Just knew exactly whats going on with whom, today i feel im back to square one.

hmm problems right now

- getting raised pre flop every time
      - getting re raised, had to bluff big time to win money back, bastard bet big out of position
      - not hitting hands when i call the raise
      - they dont call much when i hit a meager hand even
      - they end up ahead of me with high hands.

getting really outsmarted right now i think..gotta learn to play the level maybe.
    • yougotfelted51
      yougotfelted51
      Bronze
      set mining depends on stack to pot ratio.
      i believe the standard is that you/villain
      need to have 20x the raise to profitably
      set mine. because if less than this, hitting
      sets and stacking opponent wont make
      up for all the times you miss
    • sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      hmmm maybe ppl were less aggressive yesterday betting wise, they checkd a lot so i kept checking until i hit my monster hand or i simply bet if i smelled weakness...

my strategy in general is hit hand and be aggressive if you look ahead...but maybe that is not enough right now, this donk kept betting pot, had to call him to get him to check, ughh, even though i didnt have anything to call with, i dont wanna bluff but i feel thats the only way to keep these donks to cool off on the bluffing.

if these guys bluff so much, it'll be impossible to play abc poker.
    • Kuijp
      Kuijp
      Bronze
      if they bluff that much play even more tight is these bluffing players still have to act in the hand. If they folded and the other players are 'normal' just play your usual hands.
    • idiopatic
      idiopatic
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sharkfin9000
      hmmm maybe ppl were less aggressive yesterday betting wise, they checkd a lot so i kept checking until i hit my monster hand or i simply bet if i smelled weakness...

my strategy in general is hit hand and be aggressive if you look ahead...but maybe that is not enough right now, this donk kept betting pot, had to call him to get him to check, ughh, even though i didnt have anything to call with, i dont wanna bluff but i feel thats the only way to keep these donks to cool off on the bluffing.

if these guys bluff so much, it'll be impossible to play abc poker.

i don't think they are bluffing so often. I think they hit to often. You don't have to deviate from ABC at nl4. Don't level yourself.
    • sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      yeah i tried to tighten up, but i dont wanna miss out on all the straights flushes and sets lol. Just wanna play ABC poker, know when to fold(which i usually do, unless its FH over FH). My main problem is if i call there raise i rarely ever hit anything, so with a ridiculous pot sized bet i always fold unless im loaded with draws, and if i dont call then i lose out on potential hands. Need to learn how to play ppl with these raises, and how much they mean.
    • jdnismo
      jdnismo
      Bronze
      Just keep playing ABC and you'll profit eventually. Do you have a HUD?
    • sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      no i had a HUD but it didnt help, i had elephant thought it was useless, didnt even work right on the tables, and these limits are so small i just dont see the point of focusing on such advanced software as of now, maybe when i can reach mid stakes poker where the competition isnt regarding as full of fish. My friend also manages to win money but he doesnt use a HUD, just dont see the point of using it at such small limits.
    • yougotfelted51
      yougotfelted51
      Bronze
      a HUD is very valuable, even at the lowest stakes.
      makes it alot easier to identify player's tendencies
      and exploit them. using it will definitely improve
      your winrate
    • daun666
      daun666
      Bronze
      If you are multitabling imo HUD is very usefull. Ofcourse most time you will play against opponents on whom hands sample wouldn't be large enougt to use stats fully but even with small hands samples there are many useful stats.
    • sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      ok i got elephant back, this time the HUD is better, put it on beginner so its giving me some amount of information that i normally dont pay attention to, unless its obvious.

Now here are two scenarios i have trouble dealing with:

1) say i have AJ/KQ/AQ etc, and i am on the button, i raise 3x bb, and say BB calls. Now flop comes...i totally miss it, and they just bet pot first, how do i deal with it?
      People tell bet when you hit, but when most of the times i dont, what should i do when they are betting pot? I feel Re-raise bluff is a horrible idea.

2) i do hit my hand, but i cant get 2 cents out of the opponent, instead they bet me these aggravating 2 cent bets and as soon as i raise them they will fold. Ughhh.

WOW i feel like i havent hit a hand in the longest time, and when i have...only thing i get back is a 2 cent bet, or a fold omfg. I am so patient you wont believe it.
    • Blade90
      Blade90
      Bronze
      1) That is called a donk bet, on higher stakes I think people will do it when a flop that has missed your perceived range hits as a bluff. For example it comes 368 and they donkbet as a bluff to prevent you from c-beting. I am not a cash game player but I know people do this. On the micros however from my exp it is almost never a bluff, they have a pair or better and are afraid u will check back and hit a pair on the turn so they bet out. I think without a draw you should just fold most times. Perhaps a float is ok sometimes if someone is donkbeting a lot.

2) There isn't much you can do, those opponents are incapable of bluffing so they min bet hoping u will fold. Once u raise they fold if they don't have a pair. But they will pay u off often with just bottom pair and similar hands.

Keep playing, and reading articles and watching the vids, also try multi tabling and put in lots of volume. Don't worry about losing hands in which the money was going in anyway. Like set over set or what not. That is just variance. Worry about hands where you think you can steal the pot or fold your hand which is obv no good. Gl :)
    • sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      yeah these donk bets really get to me, i usually have to re raise them and they fold but when they dont it costs me, its so annoying. I cant always hit my hand so i have to give up to their donk bets.
    • Grokken
      Grokken
      Bronze
      Try to not get too attached to your strong preflop hands, even though you probably had the better hand preflop you will usually be behind with hands like AQ if you miss the flop. It's perfectly fine to fold to a bet when you only have ace high, especially on micro stakes where people will call you down with weak pairs when you try to bluff.