2 Months 2k - An Italian Adventure

• outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      Hey all :) ,

I decided to start a blog of my own, hopefully this will be a long thread full of upswings and smiley faces that I'll be looking back at in a few years as I'm out shopping for money-clip-clips and hanging out with Scrooge McDuck.

MY STORY

I got started in poker by playing SNGs because since the very beginning, playing cash felt "wrong" and very risky to me. In tourneys I wasn't forced to think too much about the money I was risking and I felt I'd only play scared money in cash. However, I've hit a serious downswing because:

:diamond: I'm 24 and 28 buy-ins below EV on 2 different sites
      :diamond: I had a big chunk of my bankroll on full tilt
      :diamond: I grinded $25 into $210 in a non-affiliated poker room, but since I've tried to withdraw, their customer support has been running around in circles, and it's been over 2 months.

So, I got tired of the big swings in SNGs and MTTs. I love MTTs and have a very decent ROI in them, but I'm not rolled for any decent one anymore.

So I asked myself, what's the lowest variance form of poker? BSS cash games. I deposited 20eur on iGameLab (affiliated poker room for Italian users only) and after 3 days of 4-tabling NL2, I now have 50 euro. Honestly, I don't know what took me so long to discover cash games. I really like them now, there's a lot more room for play compared to tourneys.

THE CHALLENGE: make 2k eur in profit by the end of September (starting capital: 90.82eur)

And here are the rules:

:diamond: I will use 25BI brm up to NL10, and 40BI later on, on a sliding scale (*);
      :diamond: I will only 6-table, taking time to study my opponents and learn more about the game;
      :diamond: I will watch at least 3 videos a week and follow at least 2 BSS coachings a week;
      :diamond: I will post updates on my bankroll very often, every day if possible;
      :diamond: For every day during the challenge, I will do some work, something social, work out at least a cumulative 5 hours/week, and learn something new (not poker-related).

Obviously I have zero experience in BSS. I just decided to challenge myself in the next 2 months and I know I may have set the bar too high, but as the beautiful Italian saying goes, "shoot for the moon: even if you miss, you'll land among the stars" ;)

Challenge starts on August 1st.

(*) sliding scale: I need 50eur to play 6 tables of nl2 and 125eur to play 6 tables of nl5. In between, I will add a nl5 table for every (125-50)/6 eur I have over 50eur. So, I will add a nl5 table between 62.5 and 75, 2 tables between 75 and 87.5 eur, and so on. And of course, the same principle goes with all the other jumps between limits.

Also, when I jump in brm requirements from 25BI to 40BI, I will adopt a second type of sliding scale: I'll need 25BI for the first nl25 table, 30BI for the second, 35 for the third, and 40 from the fourth onward.
  • 53 replies
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Good luck :)

In bocca al lupo ;)
    • outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by matel17
      Good luck :)

In bocca al lupo ;)
      Thank you, I'll need a lot of that ;) But on the other hand, the waters are fishy - the average level on .it poker sites is lower than in the .coms.

While I'm waiting for Monday, I'm trying to refine my strategy. I might be able to 6-table instead of 4-table, and I will be observing very strict 25BI brm.

This means I'll start 6-tabling nl2 at 50eur, 6-tabling nl5 at 125eur, and mixing the stakes too. In other words, since

(125-50)/6 = 12.5

I will play one nl5 table for every 12.5 euros I have over 50 euros and drop down in the stakes immediately when needed, with no excuses (I'm usually good at that part).

It would be fun to make a side bet with users in the forum, but I have a hunch that this probably isn't allowed by PS (or is it?)

I'd also love to set the goal to reach platinum by September, but the challenge is already hard as it is ;)
    • outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      I'm just done playing a 1-hour session at nl2, 6-tabling, and I'm up 16eur (8 stacks). That's my personal record - ok ok, I've only played BBS for 4 days so far, maybe it's not that much of a record, but whatever :P .

Biggest hand was when I tripled up a 180bb stack: shoving trips on the turn at the 3rd spade on the board, getting called by flush and ace-high flush draw, lucky river gives me a boat :) which is good for my morale because I was running well below EV up to this point.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now my BR is up to 65.04eur and I according to my BRM can start adding a nl5 table. And the challenge hasn't even started yet! A good day :)
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      I mean, not even a day has passed by and you have already changed your requirments? Adding 6 tables instead of 4?
    • CryoGenic
      CryoGenic
      Bronze
      Nice work man...hope u succeed with u'r challenge.I`m playing BSS too ..nl5 on stars..but yeah .. more like massive multy tabling :D - 24 tables.Good luck mate!
    • outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nathanrenard
      I mean, not even a day has passed by and you have already changed your requirments? Adding 6 tables instead of 4?
      The requirements are not set in stone only because the challenge hasn't even started yet :) . You have a point obv, and the requirements will obv be fixed once the challenge starts :D , but I wrote them up a bit too quickly and more importantly, I didn't think I could 6-table on that room, but I found out I can (with some difficulty though, because the software isn't among the best!!).

Once the challenge starts, I'll update the first post with my definite requirements. For now though, I'm still changing things around :) That should be the only change though.
    • outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CryoGenic
      Nice work man...hope u succeed with u'r challenge.I`m playing BSS too ..nl5 on stars..but yeah .. more like massive multy tabling :D - 24 tables.Good luck mate!
      Thanks ;) Massive multitabling can be good for a lot of things but I never really liked it, I prefer to concentrate on a hand and learn to extract max value. In these last few days for instance, I feel like I learned a few tricks to extract more value from calling stations than I thought was possible.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      @outspan sure thing bro. Keep on' grinding.

@CryoGenic what's your screen name at stars? I'm moving up to NL5 pretty soon, might have to play some 24 tables at the same time against you.
    • outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      Played only a short session (I had no time today) and I'm up to 70.43eur. The opponents' level on nl5 seems to be only marginally better than nl2 on the one table I played.

I also realized what my biggest leak so far is: once I'm doing something new (trying BSS for the first time, playing my first nl5 table, etc) and there's more money on the line than I'm used to, I tend to gamble too much, shoving a bit too light. I just lost 2 full nl5 stacks (10eur) that way, even though I was ahead and got 3-outed in the second one.

NOTE TO SELF: I have to remember that my edge is too big to just gamble and I should just fold AKs preflop if there's too much action in front of me. When I gamble I effectively LOSE money, because I lose the edge I have when I play postflop.

Ok, going out now ;)
    • outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      I managed to play another short session late this morning and I'm up to 83.26eur. Must be because it's Sunday but I could see little difference in the players' ability in nl2 vs nl5.

My brm now allows me to play 2 nl5 tables and 4 nl2 tables. I will probably play another session before the challenge starts - would be nice to be able to start the challenge with 3 nl2 and 3 nl5 tables :) .

Anyways, if this is the true level at nl5, I should have no problem to make the level up to nl10 soon. So far it's been easy money, let's see for how long this keeps going.
    • outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      Played another session, the last one before starting my challenge, and I'm up to 90.82eur. I'm starting to love the low variance in BSS :D

And for good measure, here's a video of my soon-to-be buddy Scrooge (man, the guy has an attitude problem!):

• fmlpoker1
      fmlpoker1
      Bronze
      Good luck buddy:)
    • outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      It's August 1st and I have exactly 90.82eur in my account. The objective: get to 2090.82 eur bu the end of September. Time to start grinding :)
    • outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      Thought I should blog this... in the first day of the challenge, I reached 3 figures :) I have 101.43eur in my account, and now the poker site seems to have some temporary problem so I'll come back later for another short session.

The level at nl5 isn't quite as horrible as I had anticipated, but I still have a big edge because most villains play with their cards face up. I just haven't caught a lot of cards though, so I made most of my profit from the nl2 tables (where the level actually IS horrible).
    • nannouu
      nannouu
      Bronze
      Godd luck man, will be fallowing the blog :)
    • outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      I could not login to the site for 2 days. Just played another session and was down to 90-ish but now I'm up to 119.03eur. On this site, I seem to costantly alternate between sessions of big bad beats and lots of luckboxing ;) .

I'm considering adding 2 more days to the challenge, since I could not play for the last 2 days, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it. For now, I'm just going to keep track of it and I'll decide later on, depending on how things are going.

Now my BRM allows me to play 5 nl5 tables and one nl2 table... first level-up coming soon :)
    • outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      I just had my best session yet! After a forced 2-day break, I'm now up to 148.74eur :s_biggrin:

As with this afternoon's session, I started bad (3-outed) but then recovered. Now my BRM allows me to play 5 nl5 tables and a nl10 table (!!) which I haven't tried yet. I knew I had an edge on these players but honestly, didn't expect to level up so soon!

I also set another record... at one point, I was sitting with 25.52eur on a nl5 table :s_love: I will have to get used to play with 5x5 + 1x10 = 35eur on the table at a time... up to just a few weeks ago, playing sngs with a 100BI brm, the max I'd ever had on the table at any one time was 12eur.
    • outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      Another session (after temp problems to my Internet connection) and I'm up to 179.45eur. Now I can play a mix of nl5 (4 tables) and nl10 (2 tables). Starting to see a couple of what seem to be regs at nl10, so things might get a bit tougher soon... so far though, it's been smooth sailing :s_love:
    • outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      I haven't been able to play cash these last few days. There is a problem across all .it sites in cash games. Cash was just introduced in Italy and is regulated by AAMS, which controls and supervises all transactions. However there is a problem with AAMS, with people sometimes losing their buy-ins as they sit on the table on every poker site except pokerstars.it.

The day after my last post I sat down and lost 30 euros that way. I know I'll eventually get the money back (I already have 20 back) but I'm not sure I want to keep playing on this particular site because it's too unreliable, so this challenge might end now. Meanwhile I've transfered 50eur on pokestars.it (where I can use HEM) and played a bit of NL2:

Now I have to decide between a) modifying this challenge into "2k in 60 days of grinding" (which doesn't sound as appealing :D ) or b) start another BSS blog. I'll wait a few days for my last 10 eur to be refunded, play again on that site and see if the problems continue.