New to Poker

• 11 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hello Bernard,

Welcome to the wonderful English Community here at PokerStrategy.com!

No need to worry about being a "guppy" anymore and I am sure you were never one to begin with!

We have loads of strategy articles for you to consume at learn at your leisure as well as videos to view also.

So tell us some more about yourself? Where are you from? How long have you been playing Poker? Where are you playing and what games/limits are you playing?

Yes, we are incredibly nosy around here but we're excited to have you here and hope you feel the same:) Hope you enjoy your stay and that you become a big part of this wonderful community!

All the best,

Gary
    • B0YNAMEDSUE
      B0YNAMEDSUE
      Basic
      A few tips, spacedraptor.

1. Study the game. Read books, watch videos, join poker forums. Most losing players don't take the game seriously, and view it as gambling. Good players know how hard poker is, how much skill is involved, and don't view it as gambling.

2. Play the smallest stakes you can at first, and only move up when you are beating the games you're playing, and have the bankroll to move up.

3. Don't be discouraged if at first you lose money. It's perfectly fine to lose your first few deposits. Study hard, and practice proper bankroll management, and you'll eventually win back everything you lost when you first started playing. Besides, poker is fun, and 'fun' usually costs money. If you can get 30 hours of play out of a $50 deposit, that's a good deal.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      @B0YNAMEDSUE, thank you for the wonderful advice...really great to see you around here :)

And Big welcome Bernard, I hope you'll enjoy your stay at PokerStrategy.com, learn and improve as a poker player.

Ingrid
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IngridN
      @B0YNAMEDSUE, thank you for the wonderful advice...really great to see you around here :)

+1

:D
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Originally posted by IngridN

+1

:D
      omg how nice. i like BNS already :f_love:
    • spacedraptor
      spacedraptor
      Bronze
      More about me I'm 42 years old & i have been playing poker for about 2 weeks. Like Gary i used to be a supermarket manager (yes mate i know how hard your job is) but i got made redundant about 7 years ago & took a job working for a small independant bookmaker in manchester. I got headhunter by William Hill bookmakers whom i have worked for ever since as a Shop Manager. my skill in poker so far is being able right off the bat is calculating Pot Odds, & my win % from my outs. as long as I'm holding a 25% hand & i have pot odds of 6/1 i'm good to go.

but that's a clever as it gets so far I'm trying to learn to play tighter. the agression thing in poker is my natural style of playing. i try not to let it loose in a game but 10 mins in i'm playing like a maniac, but always keeping in mind my pot odds & win %.
    • spacedraptor
      spacedraptor
      Bronze
      Sorry i forgot to mention where I'm from. Burnley in lancashire, i used to play in hold' em limit rooms for disapline, but i now play in NL hold'em rooms 001/002.

I'm was playing a lot on Pokerstars & i always take part in there UKIPT league div2 for tornement practice. but since earning the $50 bonus I'm playing a lot on Party Poker cash rooms you guessed it NL 001/002.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      wow another family man :) warm welcome to our community! i would link you to our resident grump jbpatzer's blog about his Midlife Crisis (has one of the best and funniest blogs around in my opinion) but hes currently on vacation.

so what does bookmaker mean? do you publish books?

its pretty good that you can calculate your pot odds. i think limit players are probably super proficient there :) i myself still need lots of work on my math :p

look forward to seeing you around then. any questions, dont hesitate to let us know.

smiles,
      wendy
    • spacedraptor
      spacedraptor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      wow another family man :) warm welcome to our community! i would link you to our resident grump jbpatzer's blog about his Midlife Crisis (has one of the best and funniest blogs around in my opinion) but hes currently on vacation.

so what does bookmaker mean? do you publish books?

its pretty good that you can calculate your pot odds. i think limit players are probably super proficient there :) i myself still need lots of work on my math :p

look forward to seeing you around then. any questions, dont hesitate to let us know.

smiles,
      wendy
      Hi wendy thanks for the welcome. No i don't publish books i take bets from people on sports bets like horseracing or football. so calculating odds is what i do all day every day.

if you want to know the basic theory on how to make a book or reverse book, i'm more than happy to help. :D
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      haha, im waaayoff :D yes now i know who to ask ;)

btw, if you havent discovered yet, PartyPoker has 2 daily freerolls for PokerStrategy.com members :) might want to check it out sometime.
      how is poker going so far? having fun? learning a lot?
    • spacedraptor
      spacedraptor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      haha, im waaayoff :D yes now i know who to ask ;)

btw, if you havent discovered yet, PartyPoker has 2 daily freerolls for PokerStrategy.com members :) might want to check it out sometime.
      how is poker going so far? having fun? learning a lot?
      Yeah I'm really enjoying playing i love the strategy elements to the game keeps me thinking.

how am i doing Not so good. When i'm On form I seem to be on fire, but when i'm not on form I couldn't win an agument.

guess which one happens most lol.....

I'm trying hard to work on consistancy. & when i learn something new it has a negitive effect on my game until i learn to use the knowledge in practice then i start to win again.