[NL20-NL50] NL25SH - AK OOP in ugly board

• luizsilveira
      MP is a maniac fish playing 80/40, she was distributing stacks around but was not easy to play against of course. BTN is so far a decent tag over small sample, playing 21/20 over 61 hands.

Starting preflop I think my 3bet was a bit to the small side. Reason being I didn’t want to bloat the pot OOP as I do expect at least the crazy fish to call. Then playing AK OOP vs. a maniac on a low flop will suck. But I’m not sure that is a good reason in the first place. The tag calling again does not make me happy of course.

$0.25 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

Hero (BB): $46.81
      UTG: $63.87
      CO: $25.00
      BTN: $32.21
      SB: $10.13

SB posts SB $0.10, Hero posts BB $0.25

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero has K:heart: A:spade:

UTG raises to $0.50, fold, BTN calls $0.50, fold, Hero raises to $2.25, UTG calls $1.75, BTN calls $1.75

Flop: ($6.85, 3 players) A:diamond: 6:spade: T:spade:
      Hero bets $4.00, UTG calls $4.00, BTN calls $4.00

On the flop nothing but cbet. Could have made it slightly bigger though, like $5 (I think), or even $5.5. Both call, but no news since I’m cbetting almost 100% on this flop, they could have flush draws, Ax, gutshots, you name it.

Turn: ($18.85, 3 players) 9:spade:
      Hero checks, UTG checks, BTN checks

A slightly ugly turn card makes me think. I have two options: bet/broke against a possible flush (not happy about this one) or check/call to either catch a bluff or having river outs vs. a real flush. So I went for the second, as I was expecting the wild fish to bet a big part of her range giving me an easy call with TPTK+nut redraw.

River: ($18.85, 3 players) 9:diamond:
      Hero bets $10.00, fold, BTN raises to $25.96 and is all-in, Hero is fed up with Oreo cookies.

To my surprise both check, and at the river I have what I think is a thin valuebet vs. weaker aces. Now I regret that of course, as it was indeed quite thin, the pot is already huge and I can’t expect anything else but AQ or AJ to call from BOTH opponents. Any 9 is quite unlikely but possible from the wild fish.

The shove from the tag is of course uglier than ugly, but after the fish folded he could well be just rebluffing since the board paired.

Thing is: I should have a hard time calling a flush here (as we’ve seen before) so why on earth am I betting TPTK? I’m losing to AT and any 9, plus all slowplayed sets and flushes.Almost everything I beat will fold anyway. Relative hand strength showing its teeth again.
  • 1 reply
    • Kaitz20
      I think I´m not b/f river, since he just doesn´t rep anything.
      He can have there K high flush, but why would he not bet that on the turn and also I´d expect him to bet two pair or set on the turn+ I don´t see how he can have there 9x
      Consider all that I´d put him some random hand that he is turning into bluff (since you likely doesn´t just have there Ax hand if you bet river) and call ihs shove

Thing is: I should have a hard time calling a flush here (as we’ve seen before) so why on earth am I betting TPTK?
      - your river bet is perfectly fine. Can´t expect someone to bet now on the river worse Ax hands if they check turn so I´m fine with your valuebet