This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL25SH - 88 mid set, board gets ugly and villain shoves

• luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Villain is quite passive, that’s one thing to consider. I only have 320 hands on him, but he plays 31/16 with an overall aggression factor of 0.79. His cbet on the flop is very strange; I think it could mean either a donkish way to play a draw or a VERY passive guy trying to be aggressive with a monster. His cbet flop is 58% but I didn’t catch any size tells so far (maybe I could by reviewing the database).

$0.25 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BB: $28.66
      UTG: $24.95
      MP: $28.59
      CO: $25.00
      Hero (BTN): $28.46
      SB: $53.52

SB posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.25

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero has 8:club: 8:spade:

fold, MP raises to $1.00, fold, Hero calls $1.00, fold, fold

Flop: ($2.35, 2 players) T:diamond: 8:heart: 7:diamond:
      MP bets $0.75, Hero raises to $2.50, MP calls $1.75

I don’t think I have a choice but to raise flop. I raised almost pot, but even so I now think it was small. If he has air, he will fold either way, if he has a monster we are both going broke anyway, and if he wants to play his draws I want him to pay for them.

The problem is: his LP PFR is 20%. Not thaaaat many draws in his range to be honest, except of course diamond Ax or broadways. I don’t expect him to have many straight/combo draws on that board, except some 99.

Turn: ($7.35, 2 players) 3:spade:
      MP checks, Hero bets $5.00, MP calls $5.00

He calls and checks, again my bet is not exactly big. He has shown interest for the pot by calling the raise, I could have bet some 6, 6.50 or even pot there since my hand is still very, very strong – even having outs vs. a made straight. 3 or 8 of diamonds would be a dream of course :D

River: ($17.35, 2 players) J:spade:
      MP bets $20.09 and is all-in, Hero asks for an extended time bank and tanks, tanks, tanks…..

Now… on this river… the shove… not much sense. I can’t see a reason why a passive guy would take this line with, say, QQ. Yes, he is very passive, so he *maybe* would not go broke on turn, but then overshoving river makes no sense. Maybe he does not want to check/call with a medium hand (which is QQ comparing to the board), but then I would more often than not expect a bet/fold – hard with that potsize but still possible. Mind that from the start we are a bit deep.

If he as a regular/aggressive opponent I think it’s a snap call, even though it might be close. But against this super passive phellah it might be the case to fold this one and let go my $8.50 invested in the pot to save another $20.

If it is true that he has JT in his range, I don’t expect him to cbet that size on the flop with JT. So it looks a way more like 99 or T9 (98 still possible but I thing every time less likely considering PFR range).

Odds are 1.87:1 to call.

Any thoughts?
  • 1 reply
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think you can´t really call his shove, since he is reping exactly 9x and overbet shoves are mostly for value and almost never for bluffs.
      If pot would bigger I´d likely call his shove getting better pot odds