MacBook Air 13" vs MacPro 15" for poker...

• Hamlet77
      Hamlet77
      Bronze
      hi guys.
      I didnt know where to post this....
      This is not about software at all, the other way around it is about Hardware... lets call it tech support =)

Due business and travel needs I need to buy a sort of light Mac laptop which at the same time is going to become my regular toy to play, among other things, online poker.

I am considering two models
      - MacBook Air 13" 2012 (screen resolution1440 x 900)... very light
      - MacPro 15" 2011

I discarted the MacPro 13" just because the screen has less resolution that the above two.

I am in love with the MacBook Air, but I am afraid at the same time that the screen is going to be too small, though it has a pretty good resolution.

Has anyone here used MacBook Air 13" to play poker? four tabling maybe.
      Any advise? Any feedback?

Thanks
  • 15 replies
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hamlet77
      Has anyone here used MacBook Air 13" to play poker? four tabling maybe.
      Any advise? Any feedback?
      I find four tabling possible on a high-resolution 15". On the low-res and 13" I feel like I can only play 2 tables unless I go stacked.
    • blackaces82
      blackaces82
      Bronze
      i have the 13'' mac pro. i usually play 20 tables stacked which works fine obv. tiled i can only play 2 with hud. 4 is possible but only without hud. so for tiled 4-tabling id strongly recommend 15'' (at least if u wanna use a hud).

cheerz
    • zamoda
      zamoda
      Bronze
      Thats how it looks like on 1440x900 6 tabling tiled @pokerstars

I usually play 4 tabling with some overlap at the default table size, or stacked if I play 8+ tables

• Hamlet77
      Hamlet77
      Bronze
      OMG... thank you very much guys.
      Thanks for that delicious screenshot zamoda.

Now I know what Im going to buy :D
    • shehanshah
      shehanshah
      Bronze
      both are shit for poker
    • MMYnwa
      MMYnwa
      Bronze
      tokyoaces@ First i am new here so dont eat if this is a stupid question, only laugh lol :P haha
      you play at 20 tabels at the same time? :O
    • xJCzZ
      xJCzZ
      Bronze
      holdem manager doesnt work on Macs yet, just a heads up
    • Hamlet77
      Hamlet77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xJCzZ
      holdem manager doesnt work on Macs yet, just a heads up
      No yet xJCzZ, and it seems it won`t in the neary or mid future
    • sp00nman
      sp00nman
      Bronze
      You're better off getting used to cascading or stacking tables.
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      Use a desktop pc for poker and then a mac for leasure xD
    • Jehudas
      Jehudas
      Bronze
      a very nice software for the mac users amogst us is the poker copilot:
      Poker Copilot
    • philiveyfan
      philiveyfan
      Bronze
      i bought a macbook pro. I hear the air is more for business... I love it and play poker on it
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      If you aren't limited to Macs for work reasons, seriously consider not. The infinitely wider range of software available for the competition still leaves Macs as best-option only in a very narrow band of situations.

That isn't to say Macs themselves are aweful machines, but the hardware cost and software availability for them often is. You are also paying a price premium for the brand and not really getting good hardware grunt per dollar invested. A nice Dell Intel-core laptop can often be half the price with twice the power, though it will be twice as heavy as well (if you care about such things).
    • Abhorrence
      Abhorrence
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jaissica
      If you aren't limited to Macs for work reasons, seriously consider not. The infinitely wider range of software available for the competition still leaves Macs as best-option only in a very narrow band of situations.

That isn't to say Macs themselves are aweful machines, but the hardware cost and software availability for them often is. You are also paying a price premium for the brand and not really getting good hardware grunt per dollar invested. A nice Dell Intel-core laptop can often be half the price with twice the power, though it will be twice as heavy as well (if you care about such things).
      This pretty much. PC's provide a better platform, have better support, and are much more inexpensive (When compared to a Mac).

Also please post the specs of both Mac's.
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Silver
      i never bought a mac but i was given one.

i never use the mac OS but i did bootcamp and i am running windows on my mac since HEM doesnt have mac support and most poker rooms dont have mac compatibility.

i like it coz the mac air is thin and easy to bring with since i travel alot and i can still play 5-6tables SH.