sketchzrs' road to ruin... maybe :o

• sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Greetings all, I'm sketchzr and I've been playing poker on/off for about 2 years with no defineable success. This is my 3rd attempt at playing poker properly, and is a complete change over the way I used to play.

I started off with a free BR on Full Tilt Poker a couple of years ago, stuck to a basic game and never really got anywhere, I did however manage to keep my roll and break even pretty much until they shutdown, moments before I could've cleared my bonus which was only slightly annoying. Shortly after I was offered a free $50 on PartyPoker courtesy of PokerStrategy, so I took up the offer and began playing there.

After a short time of playing there (about 2k hands) and not really doing much research, I quickly lost $15 of it and blamed it on the site being rubbish (one of my downfalls is my ability to tilt quite easily and not notice).

After my foolish thoughts had disintegrated I had a revelation, I thought if I put the time in, make plenty of written notes and read a variety of material, then I have as much potential as anyone else right? So I began watching videos, reading articles here and elsewhere and started taking the game a lot more seriously, recognizing when I tilt more often etc.

This is pretty much the start for me, my first real attempt at being a decent player so I don't know what's going to happen from here, but like everyone here I hope poker brings me success. It's a game I truly enjoy playing and also it'd be cool to make some extra money from playing it as times are hard atm!

I'm currently playing NL4 as I deposited some extra dollars. Since I started studying a lot harder my graph has started going upwards more than it has previously, be it due to luck, skill or both.

This is currently how I stand since I started studying much more and playing differently, which was tbf only like 4 days ago but I do feel like I've learned more in this time than I ever did before.

Graph of the past 4 days (the thin line is All-in EV, it decided to turn black and white for this picture):

Graph before then:

As you can see in the statistics above, there is a clear difference.

my main realistic objectives are to:

- Study for atleast half an hour before I play, preferably an hour
        - Move up to NL10 in 2 months (may prove difficult, I still have much to learn)
        - Earn a decent secondary income from playing (nothing too far-fetched), thus justifying the amount of time I sit infront of my computer :)

My main unrealistic objectives are:

- Earn mirrions of dollars and become sketchzr, almighty God of poker
        - Buy a lamborghini
        - Move to Canada and live in the wild operating a marijuana factory
        - Eat 12 chicken nuggets in under 30 seconds

If you got this far, I thank you for reading my overly long blog introduction, I shall try to keep it updated and post hands/graphs and whatever else I feel is relevant. Thanks!

To conclude my post here's a song from one of my many favourite bands -

• 10 replies
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Nice start :D Always like following a blog from the beginning (much less reading to catch up on).

Are you playing SH or FR by the way?
    • sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      Nice start :D Always like following a blog from the beginning (much less reading to catch up on).

Are you playing SH or FR by the way?
      Thanks, I moved from playing FR to SH a couple of days ago, 6-max on Party. It seems I prefer it much more, I found there were a lot of regulars in the FR games there, not to mention it always proved difficult to find a decent FR table that didn't have like 6/7 waiting players.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Great intro, wish you every success with your poker & the blog sketchzr.

Will follow with interest.

The only other thing I have to say at the moment is finally a blog with what really matters right there in the goals, chicken nuggets ftw! love it, not enough :heart: shown to chicken nuggets imo, good for you :s_thumbsup:

Good luck buddy & best regards,

Bart
    • sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EagleStar88
      Great intro, wish you every success with your poker & the blog sketchzr.

Will follow with interest.

The only other thing I have to say at the moment is finally a blog with what really matters right there in the goals, chicken nuggets ftw! love it, not enough :heart: shown to chicken nuggets imo, good for you :s_thumbsup:

Good luck buddy & best regards,

Bart
      Thanks muchly EagleStar88 :)

Also I agree, chicken nuggets are definately underrated :)
    • sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Just played a 75 minute session, here's a graph of my days poker spree:

Had one big loss today which was with JJ, played badly by me, I pretty much knew he had me beat when he snap called my bet on the flop, should've definately checked on the turn although I would've possibly been called all-in anyway -

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $4.00
      CO (Hero):
      $3.81
      BU:
      $4.00
      SB:
      $4.02
      BB:
      $5.98
      MP2:
      $5.59

Preflop: Hero is CO with J, J.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.16, BU raises to $0.36, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.12, BU calls $0.76.

Flop: ($2.3) 7, 3, 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.19, BU calls $2.19.

Turn: ($6.68) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, BU calls $0.50.

River: ($7.68) 6 (2 players)

Final Pot: $7.68.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, jacks and sevens(J J).
      BU shows two pairs, queens and sevens(Q Q).

BU wins with two pairs, queens and sevens(Q Q).

JJ is definately one of my biggest trouble hands, I tend to overplay them too often.

However JJ has also been one of my best hands of the day, hit quads on the flop which is always a pleasant sight:

Play hand

Known players:
      BB:
      $4.00
      MP2:
      $2.39
      MP3:
      $5.87
      CO:
      $7.21
      BU:
      $1.43
      SB (Hero):
      $4.04

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, J.
      MP2 raises to $0.12, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.28.

Flop: ($0.84) J, Q, J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, MP2 calls $0.12.

Turn: ($1.08) 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.36, Hero raises to $0.72, MP2 raises to $1.08, Hero raises to $3.52, MP2 calls $0.79.

River: ($6.47) 6 (2 players)

Final Pot: $6.47.
      Results follow:

MP2 shows a flush, ace high(A T).
      Hero shows four of a kind, jacks(J J).

Hero wins with four of a kind, jacks(J J).

As you can see I decided to play this monster kinda slow, I didn't want to get bad value from such a hand.

And that pretty much sums up my saturday haha, here's a song by a truly sick band called 'Gojira' -

• sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      A quick update:

Here's my progress today so far, has been pretty bad for most the day until my short last session where I got someone all-in preflop with KK, he had AJ and his cards didn't hit.

My fail hand of the day:

Play hand

Known players:
      BU:
      $4.78
      SB (Hero):
      $6.06
      BB:
      $3.84
      MP2:
      $4.50
      MP3:
      $2.84
      CO:
      $5.45

Preflop: Hero is SB with T, T.
      3 folds, BU raises to $0.16, Hero raises to $0.56, BB folds, BU calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.16) Q, Q, 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.83, BU calls $0.83.

Turn: ($2.82) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.68, BU raises to $3.39, Hero calls $0.71.

River: ($9.6) J (2 players)

Final Pot: $9.6.

I figured he didn't have queens, he was stealing the blinds often so I figured TT would be a decent hand to re-raise with, I was committed on the turn and knew I was probably beat by that point, I called to see what he held -

Results follow:
      Hero shows two pairs, queens and tens(T T).BU shows a full-house, nines full of queens(9 9).BU wins with a full-house, nines full of queens(9 9).
    • sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Anyone want to comment on my bad hands? The decisions are partially based on reads but I'm still a beginner so some 3rd party opinions would be nice :)

Also finished up poker for the day, getting tired. Going to watch the film Limitless then go to bed I think, had some good sessions today and managed to to make around $7 so all in all another successful day, probably gonna hit a downswing shortly.

Nice short chilled track by Aphex Twin, enjoy :s_zZz:
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      For the TT hand, preflop and on the flop are fine. On the turn you have to decide before you bet whether you are willing to get it in against him. If you don't want to get it in vs his range (An estimated range for a random person here would be like 88-QQ, AJs+, AQo+, QK, QJs (maybe) and maybe some suited connectors) then you're better off just check/folding, or at least betting smaller. The turn bet is on the high side whether you're going for value or a bluff, i'd go for about $1.90 usually. I would hardly ever bet near to pot size there, I might just shove over the top though.

Anyway i'm getting a bit off track there, and i'm quite tired so that could have made no sense. I'd probably just either check/fold the turn or shove over the top if I have reads :)
    • sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      For the TT hand, preflop and on the flop are fine. On the turn you have to decide before you bet whether you are willing to get it in against him. If you don't want to get it in vs his range (An estimated range for a random person here would be like 88-QQ, AJs+, AQo+, QK, QJs (maybe) and maybe some suited connectors) then you're better off just check/folding, or at least betting smaller. The turn bet is on the high side whether you're going for value or a bluff, i'd go for about $1.90 usually. I would hardly ever bet near to pot size there, I might just shove over the top though.

Anyway i'm getting a bit off track there, and i'm quite tired so that could have made no sense. I'd probably just either check/fold the turn or shove over the top if I have reads :)
      No problem, I'm very tired myself. What you said makes sense and I agree, if I bet smaller I could've atleast got myself out of the hand without being committed, sometimes my bet sizing is strange and when I look back at it I just think.. wtf why did I bet that amount? Just getting a bit cocky at the time is my guess.
    • sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Oh yeah I made a blog... Here's a quick update on where I stand so far in the world of poker:

All seems well so far, not really played much as I've been pretty busy this week.