Broke_U's Blog of Struggle-to-beat-the-limits

Tournaments only

Current Bankroll:$907.58

Limit:$10+$1 10 man SNGs

& occasional $3.30-$5.50 MTTs

ROI:N/A, too soon to tell!

Latest Graph:

Bit of history shall we?

It happened just about one year ago. I had become, in a way, addicted to Facebook. :rolleyes: I found myself playing some of those awfully stupid, pointless games you think are awesome when you have nothing better to do. I stumbled upon a pretty popular FB app called 'Zynga Poker', or something like that haha. I had already heard about it from a few friends, so I decided to check it out. I had litteraly no idea what the heck I was doing, I had never played poker in my life before and I found it pretty confusing so I asked a friend to help me figure things out.
      After having him explain me that I could decide not to play hands I didn't find strong enough by, *drumroll* FOLDING your cards, teaching me the basics, etc, etc. I kept playing by myself. I quickly found my way to the app's Shootout Tournaments and after playing a good dozen of them, I finally won my first 1st place! Man I was so happy haha, I published that shit on my wall as if I had just won a million bucks.

One thing led to another and I eventually found out about PokerStrategy.com from another player on the internet. $50, for FREE? I couldn't believe it, I remained skeptic. :tongue: I rushed through the quiz and after waiting a short while, got my capital delivered on Full Tilt Poker. Of course, with all those ads on TV, I had to urge to check it out, see if it was as good as it looked. xD

So I started by playing 1/2c Cash Games, and after getting incredibely bored with them and seeing I was showing only very little profit, I thought I'd give tournaments a shot. After all, I had won the prestigious Zynga Poker Shootout Tournament. ;)

To keep things short, I read most of the articles on this website, watched some HSP/PAD (completely useless at my limit but I really thought I was learning haha) and tried to keep a more-or-less-strict 50-buy-in-minimum BR and in a few months I built my Bankroll up to 450$ from the original 50$. Of course, I didn't play for 10h everyday of the week. I played mostly at night, when I had to choose between going to sleep or watching TV or somethin. Eventually, I made the huge mistake of playing after coming back from parties... eh, needless to say, it didn't quite work out to my advantage. :P

So, I beat $1.20, $2.20 and $5.50 SNGs, my best ROI being at 1 and 5$ tournies. With a BR of 400 or so, I tried playing a few $10+$1 SNGs regardless of my BR Management rules. No, it didn't lead to a big downswing or w/e. :P Can't really remember being specially good or bad at them, I just remember having played a few of them and winning one or two 1st place.

Then I stopped playing for a while. I had other stuff to take care. :P Last summer hollidays were amazing :D Party after party, crazy shit. On top of it all and most importantly :) :heart: I got to know an amazing, beautiful girl and quickly fell deeeeeply in love with her. Yeah, that's some profound shit right there man haha. It's been roughly a year since and I've never been happier. :3

Aaanyways, I just couldn't find the time for poker anymore except for the occasional live session with friends, which I always managed to turn to a nice little profit :)

I checked out my FT account a few months ago after reading an article talking about it being evil and doing money laundering and so, blablablaah. With the US players out, the guaranteed big tournaments remained the same except for the fact that the field was twice as smaller as it was before so it became reaaaally intersting to play them and try to cash big. So I had a friend of mine (who also had an account on FTP) come play some big tournaments with me. We played games that were WAY out of our BR Management Rules, but we didn't care. We wanted to cash BIG, or go bust. It was fine either way. Closest we got to cashing big was both of us making the money in the same tournament, the famous Double Deuce on FT. I made it in with a small-ish stack and lost right after the bubble. He, on the other hand, had a pretty big stack and was about 90th. With the first position winning a large sum (5 digits, can't remember how much at all though hahaha), we were so happy. We had agreed to split it in two, whether I or he won any cash. I cheered and cheeeeered.... for about 10 minutes. Can't remember how we lost, must have been something stupid. Yeah, definetely something stupid haha.

Aaaaanyways, after playing lots of big tournaments, $20 SNGs and making a few low cashes and busting in most of them, my BR was down to a whopping $110.

(I think this is SNG only, no tournaments. But you get the idea.)

What can I say, shit happens. Then, they shut down Full Tilt. And my remaining $110 went down the toilet.

I didn't want to wait for Full Tilt to open back up, I'm not even sure they will. O.o So when I heard about 888 Poker's 8$ promotion, I decided to register an account with them. With my Girlfriend outta town for two weeks starting today, I thought instead of crying the whole time, I'd give online poker another shot. With some crying-breaks. Only a few. :]

I'd already started playing, I've only played about 40 tournaments but I'm already up to 50 1.20$ Buy ins. I'm going to follow a pretty loose BR management. Last time, 50 Buy ins was too much for me. I want to maximise profits this time, and do it quickly. I'll try to keep a 20 BI min. requirement for $1.20 & $2.90, 25 BI min. for $5.50 and 30 for $10+$1, or something along that line.

Shortterm, Looking forward to my first 1k! I couldn't quite make it last time. :/ I'd like to make it to $10+$1 SNGs, maybe even $20+$2 before my girlfriend comes back from her trip. My longterm goals? I'm aiming pretty high. Looking to playing at least $100 SNGs in a near-future, maybe learning a proper BSS when I have a bigger BR.

I thought a blog could keep me motivated and keep me from tilting when I get those horrible downswings I know so well >_<. I'll try to make an update at least once a week, maybe more maybe less. We'll see.

Anyways, thanks for reading guys. :D :heart:
  • 10 replies
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      I think your bankroll requirments will get you broke. Plus the expectation you get is so unrealistic. Gl either way.
    • revs90
      revs90
      Bronze
      Of course, it's a challenge haha. I need to make $275 more to play $10+$1 SnGs (330$ BR) and I've got two weeks to make it. It doesn't seem unvelievably hard. Of course I'm not gonna throw away my account if I don't make it in two weeks. :P

As for my bankroll management, I like to keep it loose when I play the lowest SnGs. I don't see the use in playing $1s with a $30 BR when I could be playing $2.50s and seeing my BR grow faster. Of course, the risk of going broke is higher than norm. But with only a few $10s of bucks at stake, I think it's worth it. Maybe 30 BIs for $10+$1 is pretty marginal, last time I had 50. Who knows? I might fix it as I go. :)

Anyways, thank you!
    • outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by revs90
      Of course, it's a challenge haha. I need to make $275 more to play $10+$1 SnGs (330$ BR) and I've got two weeks to make it. It doesn't seem unvelievably hard. Of course I'm not gonna throw away my account if I don't make it in two weeks. :P

As for my bankroll management, I like to keep it loose when I play the lowest SnGs. I don't see the use in playing $1s with a $30 BR when I could be playing $2.50s and seeing my BR grow faster. Of course, the risk of going broke is higher than norm. But with only a few $10s of bucks at stake, I think it's worth it. Maybe 30 BIs for $10+$1 is pretty marginal, last time I had 50. Who knows? I might fix it as I go. :)

Anyways, thank you!
      Your brm is ok if you don't care about the money, but playing $2.50s on a $30 BR is pure gambling. I'm 25BI below EV after 40 sngs, and that's completely standard.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      I have to agree with the guys here that 20 BIs is kinda low for SNG variance why not bump it up a little just to protect yourself would be a shame if you went busto even if you were playing well.

But good luck with your goals hope you reach them
    • revs90
      revs90
      Bronze
      I'm aware they're really low and I've thought about making it 30 instead of 20 BIs. I think I'm going to follow your advice and tighten up my BR management. Thanks for your feedback guys. :)

Anyways, I didn't have much time to play today so I played one 99c tournament, 244 players, 1st position won 70 bucks. I cashed in 6th for 15-16$. Moved my BR back to 61-62$ so I can start playing 2.90$s again. I'll drop down to 1.20$s if I lose two tournaments in a row, following my new BR management. :)

PS: Let's see if I can still play good poker half-drunk hahah x)
    • revs90
      revs90
      Bronze
      Okay, thought I'd make a small update before going to sleep. :]
      I actually haven't really had time to play much, lots of stuff to do these days. It's pretty hot outside so can't stay inside too long in the afternoon. I mostly play from 1 am to 3 am if I'm home, sometimes in the morning from 11-noon-ish to, what, 2 o'clock? Then there's always something to do that pop's up and I have to quickly finish my tournaments. I hate rushing it. -sigh- :P Oh well, been having fun so w/e :3

Still playing one table 2.90s, added the occasional 1.10 200-ish players MTT which turn out to be SO full of fish. Was able to make the final table twice out of four times.

Funny story :D Came back home yesterday and decided it wasn't late enough for me to go to sleep. So I decide to pop up a little One buck MTT for fun :]

After roughly an hour of playing, I had turned my stack of 1k to 12k thanks to a pretty awesome rush of cards without any suckouts. I was 3rd out of about 300 players. With the top price being about 100 bucks, I thought it'd make a nice boost to my BR which was down to about 50 at the time. I concentrated soooo hard... for the next 5 minutes. Around 3-4 o'clock, I fell asleep on my keyboard. I woke up next morning to a pretty awesome 'Congratulations! You place 6th out of 300-something. You win 12$'. Considering I made the final table AND three people got eliminated before me, I guess that makes me one hell of a overnight player. ;D

After just taking down another 2.90 SnG, my BR's now up to $75.18. I'll keep playing these till I hit $200 (roughly 40BI for $5.50s), or till I drop down to $60. If that's the case, I'll drop down to one-bucks. :)

Off to zzzzz. :heart:
    • revs90
      revs90
      Bronze
      Giving 1 buck MTTs a try again at the moment, small update with the Best Chat Moment of the Day! *drumroll*

Dealer >> (Hand# 299059211) Broke_U won $9,404 with A Pair of Aces
      thunderAA >> soon co ck sucker
      Broke_U >> <3
      bafana11 >> calm down mate!
      Broke_U >> aahahhahaha that made me choke on my ice tea
      Dealer >> (Hand# 299059352) thunderAA won $560
      thunderAA >> go fu ck yourself pomy pri ck
      Broke_U >> :D
    • revs90
      revs90
      Bronze
      So today my bankroll took a $40-50 dollar boost.
      After winning a 2.90$, I decided to try and play a cheap MTT since I had nothing to do all afternoon. I registered in a 1.10$ 400$ Guarantee or something like that, 500-ish players. Made the final table, cashed for 17 bucks or so. I decided it was fun, but it took me 3h to make the final table. I would have been sooo let down if I hadn't made it to the final table, let alone not cash!

I tried, with a 85$ bankroll :P to play a 5.50 MTT deepstack. Didn't go too well, lost after a few blind levels. While I was losing this tournament, I opened up another 3.30$, 1800$ guarantee, 600 players and decided I'd play my A-game. And so I did, I made the final table as a short-medium stack and made an aweful, aweful play by calling another shortstack's all in in late position for my entire stack with pocket 10's. The big blind, who was holding AA, jumped in too.

Finished 9th for 40$. But damn, first prize being 500$, I'm kinda nostalgic I made that stupid stupid call! >_<
    • revs90
      revs90
      Bronze
      Thought I'd make a little update. :)
      After a few weeks break, I started playinga gain. I shipped a $5.50 450-man tournament and My BR quickly went from around $100 to $600+. Makes me pretty happy, specially since this is the first MTT I actually take down instead of just making the final table, which is what usually happens. :p

Now I can FINALLY start playing the SnG limit I'm the most used to: $5.50's :D . I have the bankroll for $11's now but I'd rather play some $5's first before making any stupid moves.

I'm pretty glad though :D I took a shot with my mini-bankroll and pretty reckless BRM but I made it there, and now I can finally use proper BRM and start grinding my way to 1k+ again :)
    • revs90
      revs90
      Bronze
      Happy yet unsatisfied. :p Finished 2nd for $300+ in the same tourny I took down last time, was so tired that even having a big chiplead, I finished second. :(

Well it still made a nice boost to my bankroll, and if I count in the money I got on FT + my $900+ bankroll on 888, I finally made it past the $1000 mark! :) ) <3

Btw, I started with the $8 888Poker gifts you like a month ago, so I guess I had a pretty good run up to now. :) I might completly switch to MTT's too, I just love the big wins instead of getting 5 times my buy in if I ship a STT. >_<