[NL2-NL10] Nut Flush Draw

• lollujo
      Not sure if I played this hand right at any point really, could do with some tips as I keep getting caught out in spots like this:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($9.03)
      BB ($10.26)
      Hero ($10.31)
      CO ($21.58)
      BTN ($9.59)

Dealt to Hero K:diamond: A:diamond:

Hero raises to $0.35, fold, BTN raises to $0.90, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.55

FLOP ($1.95) 4:diamond: 5:heart: 6:diamond:

Hero checks, BTN bets $1.39, Hero calls $1.39

TURN ($4.73) 4:diamond: 5:heart: 6:diamond: T:spade:

Hero checks, BTN bets $2, Hero raises to $8.02 (AI), BTN calls $5.30 (AI)

RIVER ($19.33) 4:diamond: 5:heart: 6:diamond: T:spade: 9:spade:

Villain is a 12/12 over 60 hands, and his 3bet is 5. I expected him to be 3betting me with mid to large pocket pairs, and his big aces as well, so I wasn't keen to 4bet him pre-flop as the only hand in his range that I was beating was probably AQs.

I was sure the flop had missed him completely, but as he was likely on a big pair I decided to check to him so he could cbet. Looking back on the hand now, I think I should have check-raised him on flop rather than just calling, and then led out on any turn card to show more strength.

As it was, I checked again on the turn, and then when he bet $2, I decided to try and push him off his pair then, which looking at the hand now meant I gave him nearly 3/1 to call, when I likely only had at best 35% equity in the pot. Not the best plan.

So my questions really are: should I have 4bet pre-flop? Should I have bet out or raised on the flop? Should I have just flat called on the turn (or even folded?

• 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello lollujo,

Preflop: While even being OOP I don't really like the Call. You wont get paid anyways if you do hit your A or K and even if you hit your K then you as well wont know where you stand while he may easily even have overpair. While we are rather against somewhat nit I guess I'd just fold the hand.

As played
      Postflop: If he is giving you that great implied odds then just take them on turn. You ain't gonna make better hands to fold anyways and most likely all those hands which you are making to fold you are beating anyways with A high. Do you really expect him to fold some overpair there?

Best regards.