how to start a SNG journey?

• TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      Hi guys, I've decided to start my poker journey as a SNG player...However I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. So what I'm after really is a couple of points of what I should be doing, and what I could use as my goals.

Thank you in advance for your help :)
  • 11 replies
    • Akcus
      Akcus
      Bronze
      The most important thing you should be doing is following solid bankroll management. Start with a few SNGs below your bankroll in different formats to discover just what kind of format suits you.

What site are you playing at? Pokerstars is my favorite for SNG formats.
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      thanks for your reply.

I'm also going to be playing on PokerStars. Brm is something that I will definetely stick to, as I've had problems not sticking to it before, and it's what failed me.

Could you suggest any kinda goals I should have and targets etc?
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      I think that for any 9-man SnGs you should have a bankroll of 40 buy ins.

$1 Sng - $50
      $2 - $100
      $5 - $200

(I believe this to be correct). Just make sure your bankroll is big enough to survive any downswings.
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      I'm gonna employ a bankroll of 50Bi, as suggested by the articles.

I'm going to read all the articles, I should be Gold in a couple of hours (thanks to some last minute grinding) so all the Basic, Bronze, Silver and Gold Articles I plan to read. And start posting hands in the evaluation forum.

Anything else I should be doing (e.g. purchasing PT3 or anything) to help me in the long run?
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      I recommend that you practice with ICM Trainer.

SNG Wizard is a good tool once you can adjust the ranges to reflect how your opponents play. However, the default ranges are quite bad, and you need experience to adjust the ranges to more reasonable ones.

Hold'em Manager and PT3 are great tools both for tracking your overall play and for producing a HUD which tells you how each opponent has been playing.

Bankroll management is for winning players. When you start out, you should not assume that you are a winning player. You have a budget not a bankroll. Go ahead and play at the lowest real money level even if you have a balance that would make an expert safe at higher levels.
    • jaxtraw
      jaxtraw
      Bronze
      Good luck! I agree with the posters stressing bankroll management is critical. I think 50bi is a rather thin cushion and would want to see you playing levels where you would have a 100bi.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      download the pokerstrategy.com FREE ICM trainer. its not as good as SnG wiz, but its a great start for beginners.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/7/
    • shehanshah
      shehanshah
      Bronze
      Wht sngs r u gonna play?? 1 table or multi table ones? For 9-mans 150 BIs are safer and very comforatable to play with if u r goin to 4-6 tables. If u r goin to 12+ table them, u'll need 300 buyins for sure.

If u r planning to play 180 mans then-

4-6 tables- 200 buyins is ok i think,
      12+tables- 500 buyins otherwise chances of goin busto is very likely, because sometimes u'll not even cash for 50 sngs

Good luck on ur venture :D
    • tardytojas
      tardytojas
      Bronze
      For 9max 150BI?!?!? If you are playing 8 tables and you are the winning player 100BI is more than enough.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      I don't think this discussion should get sidetracked into one about bankroll management. Bankroll management is like crossing the street. If you do it badly, you might get hurt, but you don't succeed in life by crossing the street well. It is far more important to focus on learning to play winning poker than to try to use bankroll management systems which fit established winning players, not beginners. Beginners have budgets, not bankrolls.
    • dydukas
      dydukas
      Platinum
      I've recently started bankroll building challenge for me on Ongame. Started with $250 (75 BIs for $3.3s) with first deposit bonus of 200%. Anyone wanna do the same of just follow, check out my blog. Link below.