[NL2-NL10] Live NL $1/$3 in Vegas, TOUGH DECISION!

• CaptLoeff
      I was playing a live NL ring game last week in Vegas for $1/$3 with $300 max buy-in. I felt very comfortable at the table at the time of this hand. Later, a few other players joined the table, both of whom were better players than me. During this hand however, I felt as though I was the best player at the table.

In this hand, I was in the BB and there were 5 players. I was raised by the player UTG and the rest of the table folded around to me. The player UTG was fairly solid but not overly aggressive.

I had 8s-9s. The player UTG raised to $10 and I was the only caller. The flop was 7s-7d-10s. I bet $15 and was called. My assessment at the time was that the player UTG most likely had trip 7s. This assessment was based purely on my read on him as well as his previous betting patterns. The difficulty I faced is that I didn't know him and had only been playing with him for about 45 mins so my read could have been way off. I was confident that he wouldn't raise pre-flop UTG without a good hand unless he was trying to change his table image to get more action later in the game.

The 6h came on the turn completing my straight. I bet $30 and was called, bringing the pot up to $84.

A blank came on the river (Qc) and I bet $45. My opponent raised all in for an additional $72. I had his stack covered by about $175. The pot was now up to $174 and I had to call $72.

Last time he went all in, he had a full house which beat his opponent's flush. I think the pots odds said that I only need to win 29% of the time so I should have called, but I didn't. I folded because I felt that he made a full house or some other monster hand either on the turn or river. Clearly it isn't likely that he would have raised pre-flop with a 7-6 or 7-Q, but I really felt that I was beat. My decision was based more on my read than on the math.

What do you think? Should I have called? Should I have played differently? He showed his hand so I'll be happy to share that info upon request.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello CaptLoeff,

Welcome to the NL BSS Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

As we only talk about the river then I rarely doubt that he would shove without having a strong made hand. So therefore it's really up to the FH most likely. Maybe QQ/TT or something similar. I would very likely fold as well.

But overall we could really discuss how we should play our hand on flop. Either the donking is a great play since what we can represent there? Not much and we ain't gonna make fold any hands either, sometimes he might even raise us. Since if you had 7x then you would very often let him CBet. So think about the situation a bit. :)

Best regards.