Need help with elephant

• keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Hey, i downloaded elephant about a week ago and it seemed to all be working fine, but today when i open elephant i get this message:

Connection to database NOT successful! Please ensure that PostgreSQL is running and your settings are correct.

Im not really sure what to do because the database seemed to be working fine before.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • 17 replies
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      Hey keoghh,

please open up your control panel and navigate to 'administrative tools' -> 'services'.

Search for the postgreSQL database server and start this service in case it's not started already. Make sure it's also starting automatically with windows so you don't have to worry about it again.

In case it's already started - have you installed any firewall software / anti-spyware software lately? The connection maybe gets blocked by something you are not aware of.
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Hey, thanks for the quick reply, and i saw u say this in another thread so i tried this already and nothing happened. But i just tried it again now to see if it worked this time and i got this message:

Windows could not start the PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3 service one Local computer.

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

And no i have not installed a firewall or anti-spyware software lately either.
    • caledonia
      caledonia
      Bronze
      im having trouble with this too,first of all its asking for user name and password??not set any but it says im wrong?and if its needing to get through firewall and spyware is there harm to my puter????thank you for the feedback in advance... ?(
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      Hey keoghh,

that's probably a windows related problem. You could try to uninstall postgreSQL completly, delete folders / files left by the uninstaller manually and install it again in a different path. (C:\Program Files\postgreSQLnew)

Uninstalling postgreSQL:
      Deinstalling PostgreSQL correctly

Don't forget to delete files/folders left by the uinstaller. Don't forget to delete the postgreSQL username either.

@caledonia: Please open a new thread for your problem if it's not exactly the same.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi caledonia,

Regarding Elephant software, please visit our helpful video of how to install the software. Once you managed to install it successfully, you should be asked to create a password which is the one you need to enter now :)

Here, you can find the FAQ's for the Elephant software.

Let me know if you still have issues with this.

Ingrid
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Hey, are there any vids on how to unistall postgre correctly because i aint very good at finding all the documents and files to delete etc, not best with computers.

And i have already made a username and password b4 it stopped working?
    • caledonia
      caledonia
      Bronze
      thanks IngridN, ive got it up and running but its baffeling me a bit... :D im sure i'll get used to it soon... :D
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by caledonia
      thanks IngridN, ive got it up and running but its baffeling me a bit... :D im sure i'll get used to it soon... :D
      No problems, glad to help out :)
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by keoghh
      Hey, are there any vids on how to unistall postgre correctly because i aint very good at finding all the documents and files to delete etc, not best with computers.

And i have already made a username and password b4 it stopped working?
      Are you still having issues with it?
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Yes, so when i deinstall PostgreSQL with the guide from the link from mrk1988, am i then just reinstalling elephant, or reinstalling postgreSQL and so are there any links to it.
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      Yes, so when i deinstall PostgreSQL with the guide from the link from mrk1988, am i then just reinstalling elephant, or reinstalling postgreSQL and so are there any links to it.
      Hey keoghh,

after successfully uninstalling postgreSQL you need to reinstall it. You can find the installation files in your PokerStrategy.com Elephant installation directory. (default: C:\Program Files\PokerStrategy.com\)

Please be aware that you need to create a new postgreSQL username / password durint the installation. Write down your credentials since you will need them later on.
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      So if i make a new user and password, which ive done already before. Would i not be in effect creating a new database? If so can i not just create a new database in the elephant itself which it is now asking me to do.
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      So if i make a new user and password, which ive done already before. Would i not be in effect creating a new database? If so can i not just create a new database in the elephant itself which it is now asking me to do.
      Yes you can. You can use the user / password combination already created.
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Lol sorry, may just be me but im getting really confused with all this now.

So i originally made a user and pass and the database was working correctly, then i got the problem at the top of this thread. So if i deinstall postgres then reinstall it would i get my old database back?

Or shud i just start again and create a new database in elephant and back it up because the old database only had like 600 hands worth of data.?
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      Alright, let's clear things up.

Once postgreSQL is uninstalled - your database is pretty much lost.

Have you uninstalled postgreSQL already?

Already uninstalled:

Please install it again -> create a new user / password during the installation.

Not yet uninstalled:

Do you know your login credentials? What's the problem with the current postgreSQL installation?
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Hey, sorry to seem like im messing you about, but ive been busy lately and so i was just about to de-install postgres and then reinstall it, so i opened elephant up and its working again!! :) :) Very happy about that atm and hopefully it stays working for a long time.
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      :s_thumbsup: