Moving to london

• vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      So, I'm thinking on moving to London for a few months. My plan is to meet the city and go out every night. This includes going to parties and getting wasted quite often. (sounds like a solid plan imo)

How much per month do I need? I'd stay in the most basic place I can find. Just a place of my own with a bed and a bathroom. (and no cockroaches). I'll spend the minimum too.
  • 23 replies
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Depends on what going out is
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      you're going to the wrong place
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Originally posted by Yoghi
      Depends on what going out is
      plus one.

5 beers a night in a standard pub, 5 times a week probably costs you close to £400/month.

1 cocktail a night in a flashy club, 5 times a week probably costs you close to £90000000 a month.

well, not quite, but you get the point.

Maybe it's better for you to tell us what you like, and what your budget is, and people can make suggestions?
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      I have ~$10000 (which is my poker bankroll actually). But maybe, with some luck, I can double it up by the end of the year. I'm thinking of traveling around Europe to learn about different cultures, and I decided to start in England.

About "what's going out?", i can't tell, that's why i travel to another country, to find out what they consider going out is. I'm not really into modern flashy pubs btw.
      what does london has to offer anyway?
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vmarqui
      I have ~$10000 (which is my poker bankroll actually). But maybe, with some luck, I can double it up by the end of the year. I'm thinking of traveling around Europe to learn about different cultures, and I decided to start in England.

About "what's going out?", i can't tell, that's why i travel to another country, to find out what they consider going out is. I'm not really into modern flashy pubs btw.
      what does london has to offer anyway?
      Dont worry!! $10000 will be ok!!! I will help you to have a great time in England with this :P
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      hehe cool :D

Ooh, btw, I need some more advice.

I don't want to go around with $10k in my pockets, what can I do? I was thinking on getting a prepaid card, like Neteller, but I don't know if they are used in there.

Oh, and about poker. I'm planning on mantaining myself playing poker. Any tip? (for cashouts and stuff)
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      London has a lot of pubs but also a lot of high-end (expensive) clubs. If you want to go to the clubs you won't get far with $10k.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Oh, and about poker. I'm planning on mantaining myself playing poker. Any tip? (for cashouts and stuff)
      Yes, use neteller or moneybookers cards :P Be clever when you choose though, consider how many currencies you want to keep money in and which ones you want to have cards for. For example, I'm a MB VIP so I have 2 MB accounts and 1 neteller account - I have 1 USD account with no card connected to it (not gonna live or travel much in america), 1 euro account with a card (goood chance Ill travel a lot in eu or live somewhere), and 1 SEK account with a card (local currency). Remember its not possible - or super hard and annoying - to change any currency later.

Do any of you guys who live in London (hi yoghi and toby) have an estimate what you could rent any 1-room apartment (w/ kitchen area, doesnt have to be larger than 25 squaremeters) that's decently close to any subway station for?
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      well just being close to a subway station is a rly wide area. you could go to the furthest station east or west which would be cheap but it will take 1h to get into central or you could have somewhere like waterloo/mayfair/convent garden that is more expensive
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Hm. Max 30 min away from the city with subway then? :P What is "cheap" and what is "expensive" exactly ;)
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Fongie
      Yes, use neteller or moneybookers cards :P Be clever when you choose though, consider how many currencies you want to keep money in and which ones you want to have cards for. For example, I'm a MB VIP so I have 2 MB accounts and 1 neteller account - I have 1 USD account with no card connected to it (not gonna live or travel much in america), 1 euro account with a card (goood chance Ill travel a lot in eu or live somewhere), and 1 SEK account with a card (local currency). Remember its not possible - or super hard and annoying - to change any currency later.

Do any of you guys who live in London (hi yoghi and toby) have an estimate what you could rent any 1-room apartment (w/ kitchen area, doesnt have to be larger than 25 squaremeters) that's decently close to any subway station for?
      cool! Thanks for the tip on the currencies, I'll do some research later. :)

London has a lot of pubs but also a lot of high-end (expensive) clubs. If you want to go to the clubs you won't get far with $10k.
      No problem, I'm not interested in high-end clubs.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Hm. Max 30 min away from the city with subway then? :P What is "cheap" and what is "expensive" exactly ;)
      Just check http://www.foxtons.co.uk and check the London map. Most things with W/SW/SE postcodes will be pretty expensive and the further from the centre the cheaper it will get.

I don't know the prices on smaller 1 bedroom flats, but 2 bedroom in centre is usually £2k+ per month, and probably £3k for something nice.
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      wtf @ £2k

How much for the cheapest place you can imagine? :P
      a room with a bed. that cheap.

just a room for some 18 years old monkey.
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      like £1k would be like the nut low within a reasonable area imo.

depends what you want...does it have to be London? or just England?

We have many beautiful cities and towns you can explore at a fraction of the price of London.

If you're thinking of living there a while, move to Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield or (*ahem*) Newcastle and make a week's trip to London to do the touristy stuff (mostly well worth it, actually) and then come back home to enjoy the cosy North, where living costs are undeniabley cheaper.
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      nope, it hasn't to be London really. Just a place where there is night life.
    • Reanimater
      Reanimater
      Bronze
      If I was doing what you plan to do I would go around Europe looking for part time jobs - maybe pizza delivery or stuff like that? Alternatively you can get a job in a Bar/caffee where you can easily meet new people, but you should not invest a lot of time in the job of course (so that you can have time to party and continue to play poker from time to time if you can stay competitive).

I think that your idea is awesome and I wish you good luck with that ;) I personally would want to do something like this in the future but I am currently bad financially (I have bad investments into a few stocks which are running bad so no spare cash ;/).
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      Yeah, I thought about that, but I prefer to stick to poker. :)
      That's how I'm playing the flight at least lol.

thanks btw!
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Just check http://www.foxtons.co.uk and check the London map. Most things with W/SW/SE postcodes will be pretty expensive and the further from the centre the cheaper it will get.

I don't know the prices on smaller 1 bedroom flats, but 2 bedroom in centre is usually £2k+ per month, and probably £3k for something nice.
      Thanks =)
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      maybe hang on a few weeks till things settle down ;)