A break-even month in micro's

• Pkrpains
      Pkrpains
      Bronze
      Hey everybody!

First of all, my apologies if this topic is not where it should be.

So here's the deal.
      I used to be a solid winning player in fishy waters of poker at NL10, NL25, NL50 2-3 years ago. But had to take a break.

Last month, I mean July, I came back to poker. I've been playing mixed stakes of NL10 and NL25. I did well at NL10, but on the other hand got pwned at NL25.

In total, I played 40k hands in that month, I think it is an okay sample size to see that I have serious problems with my game because I could not win myself at micros. Even though bonuses and promotions let me to more than double up my BR, but this is not the way I want to win. I read articles, watched videos, concentrated on psychology.

I'll show you my stats. Some concern me more than others, particularly WWSF and of course VPIP/PFR.

But most importantly, that Red Line is killing me. I know it is okay to have a slightly negative redline, but I am more than sure that mine is not acceptable. The funny thing is, I red about it a lot and tried to fix it, but ended up failing hard.

So here are the graphs:

NL10

NL25

Overall

And here are the stats:

So do you have any ideas what might be wrong with my game? Overall, I'm happy I did not lose so much and actually ended up in profit with all the bonuses, so I think I'll go from here. I'm motivated to improve and hopefully you can help me a little bit. Really do not want to put in on variance and continue breaking-even / loosing.

Btw, if anyone at NL25 wants to team-up and make sweat sessions or something, let me know.

Thank you.
  • 12 replies
    • TilTmuch
      TilTmuch
      Global
      maybe try not to bluff so much on river , then ur WWSD should go up?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Pkrpains
      I know it is okay to have a slightly negative redline, but I am more than sure that mine is not acceptable.
      I'm not convinced your red-line is "unacceptable". There is some more reading for you here you might find useful http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/78/micro-stakes-full-ring/cotw-last-red-line-post-ever-791734/

It's definitely possible to be a winning player given your stats, so either variance is screwing you a little, or you are making some fundamental errors within those stats.

To give just one example. Your 3bet is 6%, which is fine without further info. However, if that range is entirely depolarised and you are relentlessly 3betting players with a high fold to 3bet%......then there is a serious problem. Even though 6% in itself is fine, there could be big errors within that 6%.

There is not enough info here to say why you have had a break-even month; the stats look fine, and the red-line looks fine imo. (It's true there might be room for improvement but trying to force improvements in your red-line may create additional leaks). To work out any problems you'd need to analyse specifically some of the hands you have been playing and maybe run some additional filters in HEM.

EDIT- Having said that your callvs3bet does look pretty high. You should generally only be calling 3bets in position, when you either have a monster or villain's 3bet% is 8% or more (as a rough guide) which shouldn't be too many people at 25nl. Then, assuming villain is 3betting light a ton, it often just makes sense to 4bet a polarised range weighted toward bluffs rather than flatting a depolarised value-range, although some have opinions to the contrary. This info is based on the assumption you are playing 100bb deep the majority of the time.

gl
    • FakeLunatic
      FakeLunatic
      Bronze
      Judging from stats, you should open from bu more, and less from utg. Your steal is way too low, and you could turn that -13 easily into +13 with just stealing more.

Overall, your stats seem fine, even tho you could try bluffing more, since you seem like you're pretty honest overall, and you could try and steal more pots from regs. Your WTSD might be too high, but since you're winning over 50%, looks fine.
      Also, don't worry about redline, it's hard to have positive redline against people who cant fold much (also, you can have positive redline with not folding on the river, but do you really want that?)

There, hope it helped.

Cheers!
    • Pkrpains
      Pkrpains
      Bronze
      Thank you guys for your inputs, some really nice food for thought here for me. :)

My problem was, is and probably will be how to exploit regs, how to deal with aggression when I do not have a monster, but opponents range is also wide and his story does not convince me. I hope you understand what I mean.

But as have been said, I'll go from there and see what I can do, because I am willing to put enough effort in my game to reach at least NL50 or NL100.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      The main problem I can find is the fact you don't seem to have much positional awareness preflop. Your UTG open raising stat is too high and your BU is too low. You should be seeing quite a massive difference between open raising the BU and open raising UTG stats. This means that whilst your overall stats look fine, you could be getting yourself into all sorts of tricky postflop spots by being OOP with marginal holdings, and also you won't be stealing blinds enough or generally playing as many pots in position as possible.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      +1 to what wriggers and fakelunatic are saying about positional awareness. Many people also choose to play a lot tighter from the SB, in general steal from BU should be higher % than steal from SB due to being OOP.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      question;

your flop cbet success is kind of low. sounds like you are firing too much vs stations, or your cbet sizing is small.

as weasel mentioned, your 3bet range needs looked at. I also agree, don't cold call 3bets OOP. its just a spew. they will almost always lead the flop, and what are you going to do then? if you are cold calling OOP, have very solid (preferably multiple) reasons for doing so.

3betting:

88+,ATs+,KJs+,AQo+

are you playing exactly this range, or is your range composite (polarised)?

I don't get why people bother polarising 3bet ranges in the micros unless your playing TAGs all the time. and even then, its probably not worth doing. you don't play enough hands with these people for it to matter. you move up, or they move up, or down etc.

try a purely value 3bet range by default. only begin balancing it vs TAGs (and TAGs/nits) only if one of the following is true:

-you believe they know how to play preflop properly
      -when they call they fold too much to cbets in 3b pots
      - they fold to 3bets way too often.
      - they overvalue top pair on equity boards.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by conall88
      I don't get why people bother polarising 3bet ranges in the micros unless your playing TAGs all the time. and even then, its probably not worth doing. you don't play enough hands with these people for it to matter. you move up, or they move up, or down etc.
      Bad TAGs with high fold to 3bet is a common player profile at the micros. If 3betting a polarised range vs these players shows an inherent profit, I don't see why you wouldn't want to do it. Whether "you will be moving up soon" or not, shouldn't affect optimum strategy.
      It is not true polarisation anyway, you typically 3bet the top of your range that isn't strong enough to call, so an observer might mistake this for a depolarised range etc.

Originally posted by conall88
      try a purely value 3bet range by default
      Mmm, you could do this. Personally, I don't advise doing it as wide as you suggest, but each to his own. If you are playing against total stations with non-premium value-hands I prefer not to diminish skill advantage by creating a lower SPR. They will still stack off with worse postflop anyway and it's lower variance to play single raised pots with these type of players.You will get into some tough spots 3betting hands like 88. Even vs a low ft3bet player you will not be a big favourite vs calling range, which incidentally is so wide it is tough to play postflop correctly. 3betting a slightly wider depolarised range becomes more useful when you are going to start jamming over light 4bets which won't happen too often at the micros. Not saying your ranges won't work, I just think there are far easier and lower variance ways to beat the micros. If you wanted to 3bet purely for value I'd prefer something closer to JJ+, AQo+, at least at the micros.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      yeah, I agree with your post. my strategy works, but I doubt its the best.
    • Escobario
      Escobario
      Bronze
      i dont think u should be 3betting so much at those stakes, unless its all value hands
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      What size is your cbet? Looks like you should either choose your size better and/or your cbet spots better. Most cbets should be IP and on dry boards. Pretty standard. If you are making alot of cbets on draw heavy board it's gonna cost you alot of moneyz. And make your cbet a little under 2/3 pot I think it's good.. you won't get floated as much by other tags.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      while what hansbans said is true, it is useful to cbet draw heavy boards at times vs TAGs as long as you have a solid idea of their ranges and you have a reasonable amount of reasons for doing so. This puts the player in a tough decision in that you can barrel a lot of scare cards on the turn oftentimes.

obviously this is very situational, so just bear it in mind. don't go out looking to do it. you will eventually come accross a situation where you know it makes sense. if you aren't 100% certain though, don't do it.