stealing blinds

• spacedraptor
      spacedraptor
      Bronze
      I just posted my BB for playing my first hand. Everybody but 1 had folded. The 1 was in mid postion & limped in with a call, the small B raised 3bb to try & steal my blind. i raised he reraised i went all in i had A/6o. the small blind backed down & folded.

was this play correct?

Because after the event it seems silly to try & protect 2c with $2 but i did pick up 36p so all's well that ends well.
  • 4 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi spacedraptor,

have you discovered our hand evaluation forums yet?

it is a wonderful place where you can post all hands you ever want to think about and have feedback from our professional hand judges. :) really good way to keep learning and improving. also, you are able to see hands that other people posted and comment and learn from them as well.

generally the threads are titled with the Limits, the format (FR or SH), your hand and a short description. for example, NL2 FR A6o blind vs blind
      or something like that :) also in the text, you can write a short description of villain if you knew something about him, or you can just write unknown as in your case.

maybe other people can post their thoughts here :)

smiles,
      wendy
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey Bernard,

Good to see you around mate, hope your making yourself feel at home around here and that you are enjoying yourself and your poker.

Wendy, as always covered the bases in the above post so I hope you find it useful and it has helped you.

Good luck and hope to see you shipping the $$$

Regards,
      Gary
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      i was gonna pull up an article for you about blind defense but just realized it was in the Gold Section so it wont be available to you yet. but maybe some gold members who read this might want to check it out.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1615/1/

as for the actual hand, here's my two cents (im nowhere near a coach btw)

vs a total unknown, i would probably fold it preflop because it's really difficult to play in a sandwich between 2 players.

if it was only sb vs bb, i dont really mind 3betting as you did. (i think i might call with broadways and hands with better playability, but A6o isn't really one of those hands). but in reaction to 4bet, if he was nit/unknown or had not done this before, then i think maybe we should find a fold.

p.s. at the way the hand played... i cant believe 4 bet bluffing goes on in NL2. have the games really gotten that much tougher and more aggressive?
    • spacedraptor
      spacedraptor
      Bronze
      Here is my anailsis for why i raised.

Yeah it was NL2 001/002

the limp i wasn't bothered about cause a lot of beginners use software like poker wingman which encourage you to limp in???????????????

i was pretty sure the small blind was just stealing with a raise but i got a read that he only 3 bet forgot about the limper in his raise. So for me it was an incorrect raise.

that's why i went all in. as it was i was right.

their's nothing big & cleaver about what i did i feel bad cause my aggression in play sometimes i think is over the top.

i either play really really good or really really bad. but my bad loses, lose me more money that i win.