AA but no biters

• Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      This has happened to me a few times today, I'm playing the SSS religiously right now. I get dealt AA, KK or AK from differing positions. I raise 4 BB as no-one has entered the pot for any of these hands thus far.

I am greeted by a chorus of folds. I take down the blinds, but given that such supreme hands are a rarity I feel as though this is an opportunity wasted.

I'm playing in micro limits and have yet to meet any real fish. It's irritating, I wanted to go fishing with dynamite. :rolleyes:

So, when dealt a premium hand, should I slow-play here and fold if the texture of the flop is dangerous? Or play exactly the way the beginner SSS chart tells me to and wait for someone to take the bait (eventually)?

(I think I've answered my own question... probably the latter)
  • 9 replies
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Hmmm, I pondered this before posting and immediately after posting was given a hand to determine whether slow play sometimes works.

Against an aggressive big stack. He had £10, I was sitting on £1.83 or thereabouts.

I'm given AJ on big blind, and the villain limped in (Unusual as he was usually aggressive, I thought this could be a signal of strength... but raised per the chart (4 BB + 1).

The flop was pretty lovely: J J 3 (different suits)

I was worried that due to exhibiting strength pre-flop I would force him to fold. I decided to check/call. He raised 0.10p... I called.

Another nothing card came out 8 (there was no possible flush or straight)
      I checked, hoping the aggressor would raise. He did 0.36.. naturally, I was tempted to go all-in here, and I did. He called.

He had a 72o ( :f_biggrin: ) and I had a very nice win.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      <Moved to strategy discussion area>
    • Scaletta
      Scaletta
      Bronze
      Disclaimer: By any means do not take my words as professional advice, I'm just a n00b and still learning myself :D This is just my opinion :D

Hi Zareos,

I have been having the same problem lately. Nearly every time I get a premium hand, everybody folds.

IMO slow play is advisable, sometimes even before flop. You have to adjust to the players in game. SSS is pretty transparent to most players as well so sometimes I've found it better to mix it up a little.

For example, today I was in this table, full of big stacks. Each time before flop, one of them would raise and all others fold. The flop was hardly ever seen. So naturally they would always, and I repeat, always fold when I raised. So, I used a different tactics. I held QQ and I knew that if I raised no one would call. So I just called BB. Yes, a bit risky, but I felt it was the right thing to do considering the players.

So, I called, one player raised as I had expected and one more called him. Things went better than I had expected :) Then I reraised again, one folded, the other called and from then on it went well. I ended all in and doubled my stack :)

Of course, it can be risky, especially with TT-QQ, but sometimes it is better to diversify your strategy ;)
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      If they fold so much raise more, 1-2 steals each orbit and you should be profitable at that table.
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      This is general advice as i dont play SSS, but what your asking can really depend on the table.

For example, an aggressive table, limping in early position with AA or KK can be good as you can expect someone to raise 90% of the time and then come over the top of the orginally raiser ( and possibly any callers) as long as your the aggressor when you come over the top, dont just call

Or on a passive table or most tables your play is standard.

I also read in pokerplayer, which was about cash games slowing big hands before the flop, i.e if yu limped then just called his raise would lose you alot of value against alot of his range.

Another thing i would also add is it can be too expoitable if yu play your monsters in very distrinctive way , however as your playin at micro stakes this isnt a massive issue.

Hope this helps, regards, Alex :)
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      Depends on who you are playing but sometimes i will limp in with them from early position if i know it very likely that someone will will raise after me. that's when player stats can really help you
    • idiopatic
      idiopatic
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gsergiul
      If they fold so much raise more, 1-2 steals each orbit and you should be profitable at that table.
      +1
      Don't slow play AA
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      you have to give action to get action...
      and i hardly doubt it that you cant find any fish at micro limit - its like 98% fish.
      if you cant spot a fish....you know the other part;)
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BigOVERBET
      if you cant spot a fish....you know the other part;)
      +1 haha :D