Leveling my character >> poker, trading, life plans

• TheKudy
      TheKudy
      Black
      Hi!

I've been around here for a quite some time (actually it's around a year) and only now, I decided I want to start my blog... don't know why it took me so much time :D . Nevertheless, here it is.

I got introduced to poker by my friend that spotted your free 50$ capital... I never really thought poker would be so entertaining and profitable for me. When I got my capital I started to do crazy things with it, like playing 0.5/1 immediately (actually it was FLHU with huge rake lol). Needless to say, it didn't really go well and I was left with something like 8-10$.

Don't know why I started with FL but I really fell in love with this game. So with my remaining $$$ I went to 0.02/0.04 FL (FR) and started playing, according to PS articles and I was going down and down...and then, when I was kind of giving up, I suddenly started climbing back again. And it felt good, really good :) .

After that, I was going up pretty steady -> 0.05/0.10 -> 0.10/0.20 -> 0.25/0.50. Then I took shots, pretty confidently, at 0.5/1 (still FR) where I got pwned hard (I tried also SH but no chance for me then), I returned back to 0.25/0.50 and happily grinded there for about half a year on 24 tables :D .

Around Christmas and January I had a break (cashed out a lot) from poker...really needed it. Then I rebuilded my roll playing FL and decided to try 0.5/1, this time SH again. I read a lot articles, watched a lot videos and worked on my heavy nit game and guess what... it worked out for me =) . Well to be honest I started with an epic upswing for the first 10k hands (like 14bb/100 or so) which helped me a lot, I wasn't afraid to try new moves and things like that. Then I converged to my steady 3bb/100, which is how I play today. Not particulary good, but ok I guess.
      One or two months ago I took shots on 1/2 but it didn't go well, so for now I'm back to 0.5/1 and happily grinding there.

I tried also other variants - NL, SNGs, Omaha, but nothing went really well for me...I think I'm too much used to playing FL and the action there. I really loled when in NL I open AA and got 8 folds or one call and running to a set on flop...patience is not for me. I really like that in FL you play a lot of hands.

So that's me... about my goals, I don't have anything strict now, I'm just enjoying the game and making some money out of it. But I might try 1/2 again when I have the right mood for it. I would really like to beat this limit sometimes.

0.5/1 graph:

• 52 replies
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      FL is dead
    • TheKudy
      TheKudy
      Black
      Just to share with you one of my biggest pots lost - this one was great :D . I mean it well, I'm happy for the guy that won it. I remember exactly what I was thinking - yesssss, he has nut flush wuhuuu... and well it took me a while to find out why I didn't win =)

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.5/$1 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, J.
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises, CO 3-Bets, BU folds, SB calls, Hero caps, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Flop: (16 SB) T, K, J (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets, MP3 calls(All-In), CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: (10 BB) T (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets, CO raises, SB calls, Hero 3-Bets, CO caps, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (22 BB) 7 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets, SB folds, Hero raises, CO 3-Bets, Hero caps, CO calls.

Final Pot: 30 BB.

Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, jacks full of tens(Jd Jc).
      CO shows a royal flush(As Qs).

CO wins with a royal flush(As Qs).
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Play NL the pots will be bigger
    • TheKudy
      TheKudy
      Black
      only if u stake me :D
      Bronze
      Toby stop berating this thread. first of all FL is not dead. yes nl is bigger but FL is soooooo lucrative you have no idea.

TheKudy - go go crush them gl
    • RedHeater
      RedHeater
      Bronze
      I'm not sure whether its 8 of spades 9 of spades villain has, or Ace of spades Queen of spades. Maybe he would cap the AQ preflop I don't know.

Either way, I think he should be raising the flop! I suppose with 89 of spades its excusable not to do so, after all the non-spade queen is hardly a solid out.

Oh, and you put in a little too much action on the river, unless you have a solid read that he spews with less than the nuts. Don't forget there is KK as well (if he would play it like that preflop/flop).
    • TheKudy
      TheKudy
      Black
      Thanks for comments, guys!

To hand: well this guy was actually a fish, so I wasn't at all worried about his hand... even nut straight gets capped on turn by guys like him who call flop to trap and then on turn when there is a flush possible they start raising like hell (with straight).
      This was some time ago and since then I changed my game a bit, but I still think I would cap both streets... a lot of guys overplay flushes on paired boards..
    • RedHeater
      RedHeater
      Bronze
      Fair enough - the read changes everything! I have met players I can take to value town with top pair on a drawy board before now. Send him to my tables!
    • sigauli
      sigauli
      Bronze
      Nicely played hand with this read. Vs unknown river would be reraise/call

* Cap is real spew vs unknown, have in mind we are talking about very narrow ranges on the river and you need 66% Equity to make every raise/call (obviously only 50% when capping), but still you don't have it vs unknown 3bet.
    • Zhusy
      Zhusy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TobyCS
      FL is dead
      Sorry guys but,

+1 :D
    • TheKudy
      TheKudy
      Black
      Just for you guys...

• GraveGoods
      GraveGoods
      Bronze
      Lol owned :s_cool:
    • TheKudy
      TheKudy
      Black
      Today's session was pretty good, finished up 50BB or so... there were a lot of fishes on tables, I was running great, so :) . This was nice hand... I had only general reads, CO and BU looked like standard TAGs (BU was a bit nitty though) and BB was fish.

Preflop I capped, I think caldcalling would make my hand pretty obvious (although on 0.5/1 only very few players notice this and adapt accordingly). Also I have a bit of fold equity vs CO (who actually ended up folding pre). Fish cold calls and the flop comes great for me so I cap immediately. I'm thinking the reg can have here something like AQ, overpair, so I have him beat, but the fish might have here something - mostly a draw

The turn completes flush, I obviously bet for value, there are plenty hands I beat and the fish raises. Now I was like .. omg flush (BU called two so he isn't likely to have me beat - it really looked like - "i have an overpair and i don't want to fold"). I still called and was ready to call a river bet as well, no way I'm folding a set for one bet on river. Then I saw his 66 :D

Btw do you understand these guys who raise turn like they have flush and then check back the river on blank...what's the point?

Play hand

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8, 8.
      2 folds, CO raises, BU 3-Bets, Hero caps, BB calls, CO folds, BU calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 8, 6, Q (3 players)
      Hero bets, BB raises, BU 3-Bets, Hero caps, BB calls, BU calls.

Turn: (13 BB) 3 (3 players)
      Hero bets, BB raises, BU calls, Hero calls.

River: (19 BB) 2 (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, BU checks.

Final Pot: 19 BB.

Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, eights(8h 8d).
      BU shows a pair of aces(As Ac).
      BB shows three of a kind, sixes(6s 6d).

Hero wins with three of a kind, eights(8h 8d).
    • RedHeater
      RedHeater
      Bronze
      I like the cap pre, for the reasons you give. Also like the flop cap.

The turn - it all depends on what you think he can raise. A fold is out of the question, you are being laid - what, 17 to 1? - and have more than enough outs to a full house. It all depends what he will raise the flop (and then the turn) with - would he raise with a flush draw? I'm tempted to 3 bet, we have another guy padding the pot (possibly with one high card heart) and we are ahead of a picked up flush draw, top pair, two pair and 66. Its really a case of what we think he can raise with on that turn.

When they raise the turn and just check the river its often a 'free showdown raise' (FSDR). He has more incentive to play this way when there is another guy acting after him, who might fold.

FSDR - one idea is that raising the turn and checking back the river costs the same as calling the turn and calling the river, but has the advantage that the other guy could fold at once to the turn raise. Its not that well respected/ particularly fashionable at higher stakes these days. A disadvantage of the strategy is that you can't save a bet on the end by folding when the river card comes bad.
    • TheKudy
      TheKudy
      Black
      I have totally forgotten about the free SD raise concept... it's been a while since I last read the articles, most of the time I just watch Boomer's videos and try to think about certain spots... anyway thx for remembering this move... I might try it sometimes, I know some opponents on which this tactic can work.

To the hand - yes, he can definitely raise flop with FD, but you are right - on the turn I probably should 3bet, especially because of the third guy as you point out.

---

Had a sweet session today, played comfortably, went pretty hot and finally, after some time, had a true maniac at the table, that just capped every hand (I even got twice the nuts against him so no pressure :) ).

I'm looking forward for Boomer's new video on friday about HUDs. I think he mentioned something like that we will be able to download his HUD settings or something like that, which would be great. His videos really helped me to improve my game so I usually watch them as soon as possible.
    • RedHeater
      RedHeater
      Bronze
      Yeah I have talked to Boomer quite a bit about strat. He has an uncanny knack of getting to the essence of a hand imo. I definitely recommend his vids.

The HUD vid should be interesting - he is often critical of people with over-elaborate HUDs so it would be amusing if his turned out to take up most of the screen like the ones he slags off. :D
    • TheKudy
      TheKudy
      Black
      I've been quiet for some time... I got sick on Thursday, was in bed, had temperatures, but as it came fast, it also went away fast, so I'm ok now. Last two days I was playing like in a god mode and I'm pretty happy about most of my plays.
      I didn't finished watching Boomers video yet, I was feeling awful back then and after that, the videos stopped working. I'm going to watch it tomorow and make some changes to my HUD :) .

How would you play this hand? BB is a very solid reg, BU is an epic fish (mostly passive, playing almost all hands, but capable of weird bluffs). Please think of the hand before seeing results and my commentary.

Play hand

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, A.
      MP2 calls, 2 folds, BU calls, Hero raises, BB 3-Bets, MP2 calls, BU calls, Hero caps, BB calls, MP2 calls, BU calls.

Flop: (16 SB) K, 2, 7 (4 players)
      Hero bets, BB raises, MP2 calls, BU calls, Hero 3-Bets, BB caps, MP2 folds, BU calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (15 BB) 4 (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets, BU calls, Hero calls.

River: (18 BB) 6 (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets, BU raises, Hero folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 22 BB.

Results follow:

BB shows a pair of kings(Ks Ah).
      BU shows a pair of sevens(Ts 7c).

BB wins with a pair of kings(Ks Ah).

I folded the river for two bets... the thing is, I kind of knew that the reg has AK here (well, of course he could have had KK or 77, but...), if I trusted my instincts more I would have raised the turn, then I would have the lead on river and I wouldn't fold to a raise from fish in huge pot. But as played I was confronted with two bets.. and I just folded, I really believed he has at least two pair, if not the flush. I might be biased because I know the result, but I still think I could have raised the turn or called the river (given the reads).

In next hand I almost fell out of my chair :D . BU is an aggressive fish who I was crushing on this table for some time and it looks like he was so scared here, he didn't even raise his Aces :) , he must have thought that I have the king, because before he was raising me all the times repeatedly. It seems that after I won like 5-6 hands in a row against him, he calmed down a bit :D .

Play hand

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q, Q.
      MP2 folds, Hero raises, CO folds, BU 3-Bets, SB calls, BB calls, Hero caps, BU calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (16 SB) K, K, 3 (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, BU calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 2 (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, BU calls, SB folds, BB calls.

River: (13 BB) 3 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets, BU calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, kings and queens(Qh Qd).
      BU shows two pairs, aces and kings(Ac As).

BU wins with two pairs, aces and kings(Ac As).
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheKudy
      How would you play this hand? BB is a very solid reg, BU is an epic fish (mostly passive, playing almost all hands, but capable of weird bluffs). Please think of the hand before seeing results and my commentary.

Play hand

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, A.
      MP2 calls, 2 folds, BU calls, Hero raises, BB 3-Bets, MP2 calls, BU calls, Hero caps, BB calls, MP2 calls, BU calls.

Flop: (16 SB) K, 2, 7 (4 players)
      Hero bets, BB raises, MP2 calls, BU calls, Hero 3-Bets, BB caps, MP2 folds, BU calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (15 BB) 4 (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets, BU calls, Hero calls.

River: (18 BB) 6 (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets, BU raises, Hero folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 22 BB.

I think I like donkbetting the turn, only KK beats you but he has more combos of AK in his range. He has some flushdraws such as AhQh in his range and you don't want to let him check back. Also if you get raised, you lose less and it could still be AK or AA. As played the river sucks alot but I think you have to call, especially with the read that the fish is capable of making weird bluffs. You get 1:10 and the TAG could even just call KK because he's afraid of the flush. It's better to make a small mistake by calling with a worse hand if you're not sure what the ranges are than to make a big mistake by folding the best hand in a 20 BB pot.
    • Pincell
      Pincell
      Bronze
      Hey man,

in which city do you study? :f_biggrin:
      gl with FL :f_biggrin: