Oppinion for Harrington on online cash games

• 7 replies
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      http://www.thinkingpoker.net/poker-book-reviews/harrington-on-online-cash-games/
    • Gavron23
      Gavron23
      Bronze
      Thanks :) What other books/materials would you recommend for a just starting 6max micro stakes player(moving from 6$ SNG's)
    • Zhusy
      Zhusy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gavron23
      Hi guys,

Did anyone read this book?
      Any feedback?
      I find him way too tight, and he is in my opinion way too old fashioned. He is a tournament player so I don't know how his books in cash games should be good? ?(

I think the best thing is to watch poker videos and read the stuffs you have on poker strategy...

Harrington is specially not good for 6max tables, in my humble opinion.
    • philhellmutt
      philhellmutt
      Bronze
      Actually, you'd be surprised with this book - he's not tight at all. In his hand examples he often has hero playing 28/24 or 22/18 or whatever.

What he provides is a tight strategy for beginners and a looser range for players with better post-flop skills. He strongly suggests starting with this tighter style and opening up after you've proven yourself a steady winner and gained confidence.

There's a chapter dedicated to micros (2NL-25NL) and the final chapter is a more advanced strategy designed for mid stakes 50NL-200NL.

I think it's one of the best books out there TBH, with a great chapter dedicated to ranges and distributions for those that need to gain knowledge in this area, as well as using HUD's, strategies for dealing with each player type, note-taking and using good short-hand for this, as well as a bit of humour with the stereotypes for player types.

Once again, it's not a book written by a nit for nits... it may surprise some people.... ;)

Along with Professional No Limit Holdem by Matt Flynn, Sunny Mehta and Ed Miller, this is my favourite poker book. You can do much worse than buy this.

And no, I'm not his manager... :P
    • gnawhalak
      gnawhalak
      Bronze
      hello.

actually i'm on my midway reading thru this book.

I'd say it's pretty solid.. especially on brushing up and learning the basics of online poker.

what's good with it since it gives samples and relates the discussions with HUD data .. so very useful for those who are still learning how to maximize HUDs.

Yes, I heard a lot about ranges and read about it before. But it was discussed very well (though not that deep) in this book that i finally got to understand it .

good read IMO
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      I know that I enjoyed Harrington on Cash games volume I, and I'm soon to dive into his second volume. I hadn't heard of this so I'm definitely going to be checking it out, he knows his stuff.

He's definitely not tight though, he teaches both loose and tight aggressive, and from the volumes I'm reading he teaches to play as unpredictable as possible, meaning you play hands in ways that you might otherwise not play, be it playing something out of position that others think you may have never played, or making plays with bigger hands that may look like a rookie move, but set you up for later.

I think he teaches you to play quite a varied game.
    • AKM247
      AKM247
      Bronze
      I have ordered this book and can't wait for it to arrive :D