Is it safe to give out your SWIFT code?

• outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      A non-affiliated poker room asked me to provide them with my SWIFT code because, according to them, they have problems with their Moneybookers merchant account. Is it safe to give it out? I've been trying to withdraw for over two months and I must say I don't really trust that poker room.
  • 12 replies
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      You might want to contact MoneyBookers support and ask them for their thoughts here.

Generally though, if you wanted to make a cashout via wire transfer, you'd have to provide your SWIFT number.
    • thejugador
      thejugador
      Bronze
      can ye give us a hint at which room it is?
    • outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thejugador
      can ye give us a hint at which room it is?
      It's against PS's rules to mention non-affiliated rooms but I'll PM you with the name.

Here's what happened so far:

I received a free $25 bankroll and grided it up to over $210. In order to withdraw my bankroll, I need to generate $50 in rake. On the website, they say 1FPP = $0.20 in rake, so I made sure I had at least 250 FPP before requesting a payout.

That was at the end of May, and I still haven't received my money yet. Their support has been going around in circles in a very fishy way.

Since I met the requirements, I tried to withdraw $150, but I received an automated message saying that I haven't generated $50 in rake yet (which was clearly false). So I wrote support for clarifications.

They told me that I hadn't generated the 250FPPs back when I made the request, but that I had at that point and that I could now successfully withdraw the money; they also asked me to send them an ID proof, and I obliged. Nothing fishy so far.

They verified my ID proof, but I still could not withdraw the money! I kept receiving the same automated message saying that I haven't generated enough rake, despite the fact that support told me I should be able to withdraw.

After a couple more tries and the same error message, I sent a message to their forums explaining my situation. The moderator quickly deleted my message from the forum.

After a couple more tries, I was told that only the FPPs accumulated in cash games counted toward the release of the bonus. At this point I was very suspicious, but since I wanted to learn to play cash anyway, I ended up accumulating over 250 FPPs at those tables playing SSS.

When I tried to withdraw again, I was told that they needed a screenshot of my moneybookers account cointaining my address and my account number. I reflected on whether to send it to them (no other poker room ever asked) and in the end I decided to go for it (they already had my address and MB account number anyway, from my withdrawal requests).

When I tried to withdraw again, they told me they had technical problems with moneybookers, and now they've asked me for my SWIFT code as well.
    • cpers
      cpers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by outspan
      It's against PS's rules to mention non-affiliated rooms but I'll PM you with the name.

It really is sounds fishy :f_cool:
      I think you should ask moderator's permission to post that poker room's name.
      So other pokerstrategist won't play in that room.

About the swift I think it's perfectly safe. If I'm not mistaken It can only be used by Interbank.
    • graz187
      graz187
      Bronze
      there is nothing really private about a SWIFT code.You can find any banks code online with a simple search.That being said it does sound real fishy.Did you deposit on the poker platform?
    • TakeManies
      TakeManies
      Bronze
      I think a name and shaming should be allowed!
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Sounds incredibly fishy to me, although there shouldn't be any danger in giving out the code.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      does sound fishy but yeah a swift code isn't personal, it's the same code for everyone who uses that bank,
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Why on earth won't they allow you to mention the name? I want to be warned about this room.
    • RedHeater
      RedHeater
      Bronze
      I wouldn't assume this room is necessarily up to no good. If they are having trouble with Moneybookers, why not use a wire? If it works the money should come through quickly.

Two things of concern:

(1) Is there a charge for the wire, if so who pays it?
      (2) I don't get the bit about only cash games counting when it comes to getting in enough action to withdraw.

As for the charge bit, last time I did one there wasn't one. However, I lost out quite a bit on the currency conversion.
    • nidzika
      nidzika
      Bronze
      Just google '1FPP = $0.20 in rake', open first search and you will find poker room name.
    • outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nidzika
      Just google '1FPP = $0.20 in rake', open first search and you will find poker room name.
      Yes, I posted this message on other poker forums too so if you google snippets of my "here's what happened so far" post, you'll easily find my other posts where I mention the room's name.