Quitting poker to learn how to play tournies.

• Laggsy
      Laggsy
      Bronze
      Lol I'm quitting cash games to learn tournies. Hopefully I can crush. Shouldn't be too hard to crush tournies with a little bit of knowledge considering the amount of donks out there. It's all a preflop game right. I'll be back next week with 1MM.

k cheers.
  • 35 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      good luck laggsy and keep us updated!
    • Laggsy
      Laggsy
      Bronze
      this is the response i get. lol. i swear everyone on here hates me or something.
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      well,if you quit poker to play poker,you dont actually quit poker,do you?
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by furculision
      +1 :f_confused:
    • Laggsy
      Laggsy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IngridN
      Originally posted by furculision
      +1 :f_confused:
      aderp.

not sure if im gettin g levelled here, but what im saying is that tourneys arent real poker. cash games are the real poker action lolzor galore.
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      i don't really go for this esoteric,ambiguous syntagm "real poker",because i can't put my finger on what it means,mainly because people use it differently in different circumstances on different things.

you consider "real poker",being a game of poker that is played against or with opponents of a higher or same level as you?

you probably don't consider it real poker because of the number of donkeys and flips involved that skyrocket the games variance?

am i getting this right?

poker will be poker no matter what,imhhhhhhhhho

Poker is a family of cardgames sharing a common goal for the players of making the best combination of cards and placing wagers on those cards during the rounds of the game. The bets are paid into a pot and the player with the best combination of cards at the end of the hand wins the pot. Usually a hand consists of five cards.
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      I agree with you tournaments are more about pre flop. And you do end up playing less poker because quite often your all in before the turn card so you only really play half as much.

I have pretty good records in the low buy in mtt's but because of personal circumstances I don't have many opportunities where I can sit for 4-5 hours straight playing poker so I am doing the opposite and am starting from the bottom at the micro cash tables and it is a lot tougher.

Good luck in your tournies.
    • Laggsy
      Laggsy
      Bronze
      Lol. I mean there is more creativity and fun in deep games. In tournies its push or fold so often that its not fun.

imho there should be a game so deep that it is almost impossible to get all the chips in. like 2000 big blinds deep. that way u can bluff and valubet huge in spots where otherwise you would not get max value from a villain.
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Laggsy
      Lol. I mean there is more creativity and fun in deep games. In tournies its push or fold so often that its not fun.

imho there should be a game so deep that it is almost impossible to get all the chips in. like 2000 big blinds deep. that way u can bluff and valubet huge in spots where otherwise you would not get max value from a villain.
      i agree that it's alot of fun playing deep but it's the hardest way to play NL and the hardest to master.i find push-or-fold stage fun too and it's fairly easy to master with enough practice
    • Laggsy
      Laggsy
      Bronze
      Exactly. Its the hardest and most pure way to play poker. Push and fold is relatively easy.

Thats why i love deep cash games. the amount of involved thinking is huge.
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Depends of mtt structure, but in general target of mtt is to stay on stack size where you are not forced to play push/fold game...
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Lol you would be suprised there is actually quite a lot of "real" poker in mtts - unless you play 180s. Don't think you'll get away with just being able to play preflop - unless you are going to play the borefest that is 180s, if so gtfo
    • ManoloB99
      ManoloB99
      Bronze
      OP is kinda correct, as far as I know these are the types of poker that exist:

Real Poker - Cash games

Not really real poker - MTTs, SNGs, similar

Fishy Poker - If opponents are very soft

Real Fishy Poker - If opponents are real acquatic animals

Undead Poker - If opponents are zombies, vampires, etc.

plus some other variations I am missing at the moment...

Anyways, good luck Laggsy and don't forget to make more of those funny random videos.
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ManoloB99

Real Poker - Cash games

Anyways, good luck Laggsy and don't forget to make more of those funny random videos.
      what the f...?
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ManoloB99

Real Poker - Cash games

nh sir :coolface:
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Worst are turbos, and SNGs starting with LESS than 100BB. If tournaments could have deeper starting stacks and slower increase in blinds then maybe it could be a game of skill. Personally I hate tournaments most for the fact that they attract a lot of fish away from the cash games.
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Only game type that has no skill involved would be one where all players move allin in every hand. Edge just come from different things in different game types. In super turbo sng it comes mainly from understanding of optimal push/fold ranges and good adjust of calling range depending of opponents.

There is obviously lot of skill differences involved even in 1 table SNG games. After all there are players with like 30000 games with even ROI% around 10% and they are not playing micro games. But skill needed are bit different and players who move from cash games to sng might do huge mistakes and obviously same goes for sng players who goes to cash games.
    • goldchess
      goldchess
      Bronze
      Fun is over-rated. $/hr is where it's at
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      just wait til he hits tourney variance lmao