i am stupid

• YoursIsMGs
      YoursIsMGs
      Bronze
      It has been around one year since i have been playing poker regulary. I have read 2 Dean's Harington's books about MTTs, i have watched videos, played around 3000 SnG's and MTT's (i know that it isn't much for year, but i just have graduated from school, so it has been tough for me to find enough time for poker), but it now seems that it has been a waste of time...
      Some time ago I played and even won some money, but now it seems like i can't do anything right. I think a lot, maybe too much and every time something goes wrong. I play at lowest limits, players who play against me sometimes play so so silly, but i keep losing to them because of it.
      I know i can keep reading books about poker and watching poker videos, but is it worth it? Maybe i should just quit. I have invested much more than won, so i am a real losing player... I am sick of bad beats, sometimes it seams like i can lose every hand that i play.
      Is there any suggestions for me? What can i do, to get on track? I don't want those millions, i only want to be winning, not losing player.

Thank you,
      Matiss
  • 10 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi Matiss,

sigh, sorry to hear you having troubles. i'm telling you, i perfectly understand where you are coming from, and i've felt the same myself many times. i think one of the most important and overlooked aspects in this game is mindset. i would suggest you read some of these articles.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/others/26/1/

some about tilt and variance:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/psychology/941/1/

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/psychology/1945/1/

i also think reading "The Poker Mindset" might help you a lot :)
      i wish i could tell you what to do to get back on track. improving technical game is certainly part of it, but improving your mental game is very important as well.

maybe you should take a small break to review your hands and yourself :)

regards,
      wendy
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Also try playing as many freerolls as you can, I kept losing at the micro stakes cash tables at first. Freeroll tournaments have crazy players too but I only had to win one and it covered all the buy ins I had lost.

And it gives you a great confidence boost winning any tournament even if it is a free one.
    • YoursIsMGs
      YoursIsMGs
      Bronze
      Thank you both, i will read all those articles and take a break for some time or play only free tourneys. Maybe it helps. Thank you.
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      freerolls are a waste of time man...

play either cash games orr SnGs to build a bankroll...watch videos, attend the pokerstrategy coaching sessions and ask as many questions to the coach as possible...and then regularly post in the hand evaluation boards...and you'll become a winning player....

Ofc depends if youre willing to invest a lil money + lots of time on learning....try learning as much as possible....if youve played 3000+ SnGs and are not making money then there's clearly certain things that you need to learn..
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      Agreed, I find no incentive in playing freerolls and they're no way to build a roll. Unless you're Chris Ferguson that is :) . We all go through shitty runs again and again. If you stop having fun then quit or if you feel you don't want to learn any more. Hang on in there dude!
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by clawindsouza
      I can't agree with that. I started my BR with freerolls. When I reached 30$ I started to play S&Gs and atm I was (untill fulltilt locked down) playing nl10 with 310$ BR made from scratch. I think freerolls are great form one point of view, they develop your patience and have you play virtually stress free since you don't invest anything but time in them, time that would have been invested in poker anyway.
    • Gerovit
      Gerovit
      Bronze
      Originally posted by deezer79
      Agreed, I find no incentive in playing freerolls and they're no way to build a roll. Unless you're Chris Ferguson that is :) . We all go through shitty runs again and again. If you stop having fun then quit or if you feel you don't want to learn any more. Hang on in there dude!
      Completely disagree. When i burned my free 50$ i played freerols like maniac and i managed to get to 3k 2.5 months later (yes brag) :f_cool:
    • michellecip
      michellecip
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mrkhaan
      Originally posted by clawindsouza
      I can't agree with that. I started my BR with freerolls.
      +1

You just need to study more and then apply what you learn.I think you can find a freeroll or a low stake tourney(even 0,1 $ buy-in) to do that.

Good luck and don't forget: anybody can be a winner ! You just need to be motivated enough.
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      I too did build my bankroll with freerolls. I haven't won $3k like Gerovit but I have had a couple of $100+ wins that have came in very handy. Poker Strategy have quite a few freerolls some with $10k prize pools which would give the winner a great bankroll.

I stand by my point that YoursisMgs could benefit from playing them, not just in the hope he takes down some and wins money back but also to help boost his confidence and refresh his memory of the way he was playing when he used to win money playing poker.

They may not be for everyone but I personally can never say no to a good freeroll.
    • YoursIsMGs
      YoursIsMGs
      Bronze
      Thank you for these advices.
      I will do my best, to learn and build my bankroll. :)