Jaxtraw's encompassing Sit & Go thread

• jaxtraw
      jaxtraw
      Bronze
      Hey Guys,

I am a relatively new member of PokerStrategy, and already have been made to feel very welcome by the staff, the other coaches and you, the members. I am passionate about poker, and want to contribute to your community. Since Black Friday I am getting my poker fix from coaching and writing. I enjoy helping others improve their game, and I hope you guys will get a lot from this thread.

I understand Sit&Go's receive less love and attention than MTT's and cash games . The goal of this thread is for me to facilitate quality Sit&Go discussion for the aspiring players. I will give input on all your questions regarding concepts and strategies specific to Sit&Go's, and poker in general. Additionally, I will post some of the more thought provoking hands of my private students, those I believe will lead to good discussion.

I encourage anybody who wants to participate to please do so. Your input, regardless of skill level is welcomed. This is a learning thread so ask away, and feel free to comment.

Peace,

Jaxtraw
  • 97 replies
    • jaxtraw
      jaxtraw
      Bronze
      I will start with a hand from a solid mid-level student of mine

THis is a 6-player SNG, top two get paid.
      Blinds are 100/200
      The table image of YYY is he is not good, on the passive side
      What does XXX do on flop?

Seat 6 is the button
      Seat 3: XXX( $2978.00 USD )
      Seat 5: YYY ( $3626.00 USD )
      Seat 6: ZZZ ( $2396.00 USD )
      XXX posts small blind [$100.00 USD].
      YYY posts big blind [$200.00 USD].
      ** Dealing down cards **
      Dealt to XXX [ Kc Jd ]
      ZZZ folds
      XXX raises [$450.00 USD]
      YYY calls [$250.00 USD]
      ** Dealing Flop ** [ 9c, Js, 8c ]
      XXX ?

Thoughts on how to proceed?
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Cbet flop, against passive, probably fold to aggression, as he can hit this bigtime, and probably won't spaz with a draw.

If called, go broke on any blank turn. No SD, FD completion.

If bet/folding flop, be looking to push into BB next hand if possible.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      limp/stab pre. bet/evaluate flop. cant really see myself bet/folding here.

ps. WELCOME :D
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Against a passive player, I would continuation bet as we have top pair AND an excellent kicker. Depending on how passive he is, I'm unsure Q 10 would be in his range. And a cbet would force most passive players to fold.

If re-raised, I would assume YYY has a monster and would probably let go of the hand.

That said.... I'm still a poker baby, so may have my thought process all wrong!
    • jaxtraw
      jaxtraw
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jaxtraw
      I will start with a hand from a solid mid-level student of mine

THis is a 6-player SNG, top two get paid.
      Blinds are 100/200
      The table image of YYY is a good regular
      What does XXX do on flop?

Seat 6 is the button
      Seat 3: XXX( $2978.00 USD )
      Seat 5: YYY ( $3626.00 USD )
      Seat 6: ZZZ ( $2396.00 USD )
      XXX posts small blind [$100.00 USD].
      YYY posts big blind [$200.00 USD].
      ** Dealing down cards **
      Dealt to XXX [ Kc Jd ]
      ZZZ folds
      XXX raises [$450.00 USD]
      YYY calls [$250.00 USD]
      ** Dealing Flop ** [ 9c, Js, 8c ]
      XXX ?

Thoughts on how to proceed?
      Good responses, and I agree that leading out will give us the most value. I have changed Villain back to his original description as a good reg, does this change our play on the flop at all?
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Versus aggressive reg I would never fold after cbet there. So many draws and one pair+draw combinations villain could give pressure with. Though another question is what hand range good reg is going to flat call preflop with less than 15bb effectives in bubble. Pretty nice spot to resteal wide depending of previous history and hero play style.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      I think against the passive opponent we should be raising preflop. We don't have to worry about him jamming over our raise with worse hands like we would if he was a good regular. We have a good hand which flops nicely so I definitely want to get money in the pot. I think this is preferable to jamming preflop (although I think that is still unexploitable?). On the flop I think we can bet/fold pretty comfortably expecting (given our reads) to be raised only by two pairs and flopped straights. once we bet the flop, I think we can't avoid shoving on the turn if it's a blank. If a draw completes I think we can check/fold on the basis that passive villain should check behind his showdown hands on turn/River.

Against a good regular I think we should give serious thought to either limp/jamming if he is aggressive or just open shoving preflop. Nash looks to be around 68% with 14bb hee.

As played I think we just bet/call the flop unless we know that this Reg is only flatting his monsters at this stage in the tournament.

I would also like to welcome you!
    • jaxtraw
      jaxtraw
      Bronze
      Regardless the image of the Villain here, given stack sizes, we usually raise KJ preflop BvB, and fold to a 3bet preflop

On a wettish flop we hit top pair good kicker. Against a passive player who we are unsure will take a stab if checked to him, we must go ahead and Cbet. Passive villains will call us with less, and this way we do not give up free cards.
    • jaxtraw
      jaxtraw
      Bronze
      Against a solid reg:

Ghaleon,

Playing BvB, even at 15bb, a good reg in the BB will smooth call our preflop raises a fair amount of times with mediocre hands that play pretty well post flop in position. He knows we will be trying to steal, and will mix in flatting with shoving so as to make blind stealing a great deal more difficult for us. Good regs do not want their blinds to be marked as easy prey, and therefore will defend more than the random. The more villain defends whether with a shove or call, the more risky stealing against said villain becomes. Not only do some good villains smooth call here with 15bb, they also have the ability to float our Cbets with the intention of taking it down on the turn. This type of player makes the game especially hard in the blinds.

Tim,

THanks for the the welcome. Regarding your line against the passive guy, we are not too happy to get our Cbet raised, but he can be making that play with a fair amount of hands we are ahead (worse jacks, pairs+draws, even MPGK), and we have blockers. With the money in, we really can not fold there, however I agree if called on the flop, to pushing a blank turn or c/f a draw card.

All,

Against a good regular, on this flop, is it better to lead or check raise here?
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Against a solid reg:

Ghaleon,

Playing BvB, even at 15bb, a good reg in the BB will smooth call our preflop raises a fair amount of times with mediocre hands that play pretty well post flop in position. He knows we will be trying to steal, and will mix in flatting with shoving so as to make blind stealing a great deal more difficult for us. Good regs do not want their blinds to be marked as easy prey, and therefore will defend more than the random. The more villain defends whether with a shove or call, the more risky stealing against said villain becomes. Not only do some good villains smooth call here with 15bb, they also have the ability to float our Cbets with the intention of taking it down on the turn. This type of player makes the game especially hard in the blinds.
      Floating has to be in BB arsenal to make such call profitable at all.

Problem with call is still that in blind versus blind so shallow SB might not need much of a hand to go broke. Especially if he expect BB to be floating often he will often check turn to allow BB continue his possible float plan. Flop cbet is likely to be 450-500 so in turn pot is going to be close to 2000 and SB will have 1 psb left. So personally I prefer to shove wide in BB shoes, if I expect SB to be pretty loose in his stealing and if I don't see shoving profitable then just fold. Versus some villains it's probably better to just call, but I see it bit more risky overall? Bit deeper I like defending with call much more than in this spot.

All,

Against a good regular, on this flop, is it better to lead or check raise here?
      Default for me is to cbet. Both line might look strong anyway in such flop, but with check-shove we likely get action from tighter range and give possibility for free card. Depends on dynamics, but in such flop BB has to be carefull of possibility that SB is planning to check-shove also some of his drawing hands so he might only bet hands he is ready to call shove and check behind other hands most of time.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      shove pre vs solid reg.

if you somehow managed to make it to the flop i think c/r or b/c are close. i would probably b. then c/shove blank turn if he floated
    • jaxtraw
      jaxtraw
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ghaleon

but in such flop BB has to be carefull of possibility that SB is planning to check-shove also some of his drawing hands so he might only bet hands he is ready to call shove and check behind other hands most of time.
      Exactly when sng play turns interesting! Factoring metagame into our current line of play will help determine the which action will give us greater value.
    • jaxtraw
      jaxtraw
      Bronze
      Hey LT3,

The villain in the hand is a solid reg. Pushing pre, and standard raising are both good lines to balance our ranges, this time hero decided to SR. As played I think c/r and cbetting are close in value. But against a reg who might think we will not cbet a miss on a wet board this shallow,c/r might give us more value.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      Hey LT3,

The villain in the hand is a solid reg. Pushing pre, and standard raising are both good lines to balance our ranges, this time hero decided to SR. As played I think c/r and cbetting are close in value. But against a reg who might think we will not cbet a miss on a wet board this shallow,c/r might give us more value.
      hey :D

yeah the only problem I see with c/r is when villain bet/calls we are toast. so by c/r we basically just turn our hand into a bluff. there is some arguments to this being a good line, because its the bubble we dont want villain to bet/call strong draws or float us. so taking a c/r and making villain bet/fold hands that have a ton of equity against us isnt so bad.

I dont think you can exploit a good reg oop when he has a ton of chip leverage against you on the bubble, which is why i think shoving pre with 100% of your range is easily the best option. if villain was a BE reg, or an unknown its a different story. but against someone who will play near perfectly post-flop how can we expect to gain any more EV by raising small. we actually open ourselves up to raise/fold these types of hands pre which are clear +EV shoves. very easy to exploit someone using this strategy on the bubble, even if you balance, its still super exploitable.
    • jaxtraw
      jaxtraw
      Bronze
      Interesting hand while given a lesson today.

6Player turbo-Top Two get paid
      Both reg s\and villain are good players
      BB 200
      xxx 3690button
      yyy 2035 sb
      zzz 3275 bb

xxx raises to 400
      yyy folds
      zzz has A9hh ?

What does zzz do?
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      snap jam with a side of peanut butter.

anything else seems not so good.
    • jaxtraw
      jaxtraw
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lessthanthreee

Im sorry,

Hand should read:

BB 200
      xxx 3690button
      yyy 2035 sb
      zzz 3275 bb

xxx raises to 400
      yyy folds
      zzz has A9hh ?
    • CheckBop
      CheckBop
      Bronze
      Didn't see the original post but shove still seems good. Folding leaves our range far too tight, if we call we are in a rough spot - OOP vs. chip leader on the bubble and would have to c/f too many flops.

Would be interested to see what would make up our re-shove range here and how this range is derived - i.e What range does villain open? What range can we expect him to call vs. shove? What equity does our hand need vs. this range to be +$EV with regard to the short stack?

Can someone show me some maths ? :D
    • jaxtraw
      jaxtraw
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lessthanthreee

Im sorry,

Hand should read:

BB 200
      xxx 3690button
      yyy 2035 sb
      zzz 3275 bb

xxx raises to 400
      yyy folds
      zzz has A9hh ?
      Correction: To clairfy, Wiz says to fold if we know Villain is Opening: 4o% and calling11%.

For villain, is this a spot then, where Standard Raise/Folding will be more advantageous than Push/Folding?