Taking shots/mindset issues

• dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      Sooo iv been playing PLO since the start of the year, mostly PLO5 with some PLO10 shots, but cant seem to sustain any sort of winnings on the latter limit.
      I know my PLO experience is fairly limited, ~65k hands, but everytime i shot PLO 10 i go on a huge downer and have to drop back.
      For the first 4 or so months i was wayyy above EV & when i took my first PLO10 shot is when it all came crashing down. I am running right on EV now, but thats not really the point. The reason i am posting is just to get some insight from some players with a bit more experience on how they deal with PLO swings, taking shots, and how long it took/should take to beat these micro limits. Also what kind of BRM everyone sticks to, i use a pretty nitty 50BI rule, mostly because of poor mindset/tilt giving me a fear of just losing evertime i move up.
      I feel like i have been playing PLO5 forever, and the last 2 months of constantly losing i feel my game slipping a fair bit. So maybe some insight on how players got their game/mindset back on track after some rough times on the tables?
      I like watching the videos on ps.com but for some reason they wont work on my computer anymore, so if anyone has experienced this aswell? Lol
      So yeh, just wanted to get the ball rolling, and maybe start a bit of a discussion about these issues in lower limit PLO & the best way to deal with them :f_biggrin:

Danny
  • 5 replies
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      I've had similar issues when moving from PLO10 to PLO25. At lower limit it is easy to make profit, and I run over EV a little. Then at higher lewel I tend to run to setups and suckouts all the time.

It is variance. How many hands you have played at PLO10? If you take a shot, lose few buyins, and drop to PLO5, you are not going to have a lot of hands. And within short sample the variance can be cruel.

There are no magic tricks, you just have to keep trying. Get the money for taking a shot, and take it. If you lose, go over again.

I have tried to take that shot about 8 times now in past month or so. Losing every time. Total number of hands 2K. So in 2K sample size, you can have anything from HUGE downswing to an ENORMOUS heater. I love caps. :)
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      Haha yeh caps are the NUTZ! Total hands on PLO10 are only about 6k out of 65k so extremely small sample, i think only like 3 shots but each one went ok for the first 1k hands or so before going back down. I know its way too small of a sample size but i thought it would be interesting to discuss these sorts of things as i dont really know or talk to anyone that plays PLO so i feel like im not making much progress with study, play etc
      Also do u use fairly aggro BRM?
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Usually I keep 30bin for PLO10 and the rest is for PLO25. For PLO I keep 40bin and the rest is for PLO50.

Although it isn't that nitty to me, as the total amoun of $$$ in play is pretty small compared to my earnings from real work.
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      Originally posted by Kyyberi
      Usually I keep 30bin for PLO10 and the rest is for PLO25. For PLO I keep 40bin and the rest is for PLO50.
      Ok thats interesting, so am i understanding right that your playing PLO 25, but when you have 30BI for PLO10 + 40BI for PLO25 you take shots at PLO 50? Conversly if you lose the 40BI for PLO 25 you move back to PLO 10 with 30 BI left?
      Thanks for the replies Btw :)
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Well, here is my BRM at dollars:

When I have less than $300, I play PLO10. Anything that goes over that, is for PLO25.

Example: I have $350. I will use that $50 for taking a shot at PLO25. If I lose, I play PLO10 until I have at least $325.

When I have $300-$1000 I will play PLO25. Anything over $1000 is for PLO50.

The reason I am always running up and down these stakes is that I need to withdraw money every now and then.

With normal rakeback, 30bin is enough for PLO10 I think. There are so many poor players. But of course it is possible to lose 30bin in a downswing. So if you can't deposit more when that happens, I suggest more conservative BRM.